• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowtie Tying

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
First start by tying the bowtie around your thigh. Close your eyes, grasp it just like you would shoe strings and tie a bow. The men's store in Austin, Tex., showed me this trick when I bought my bow tie. It helps you see how the bow is formed and how easy it it really is.

Then practice tying it around your neck while not wearing a shirt. The collar gets in the way if you wear a shirt.

Once you have this down, then tie it while wearing a shirt.

When you actually wear it to the event, be sure to leave 15-20 minutes of extra time to tie the bowtie because I guarantee you won't be able to tie it if you are in a hurry.

Don't worry about getting it perfect. Small imperfections show that it is self-tied and not a pre-tied bow tie.

Steve

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You'll want to experiment with adjusting your tie length, as mine tend to run around 1/2" long. That is, mine are set to 14-1/2" for my 15" shirt. If I leave it at 15" it gets floppy.

And, self-tie isn't that complicated. I picked it up in a short time, later taught it to our foreign exchange student in 15 minutes. It's just that no one really does it much anymore, and most who know how seldom have occasion to practice. Do get lots of practice and give yourself plenty of time beforehand.

As for the formal wear, I keep my black tie for black tie. If I'm not wearing a dinner jacket, I tilt away from conservative with the bow tie to avoid confusion. Buckle & Tailor makes good ties with personality. If you must go conservative, a bold stripe on a dark background is a good bet.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Another question, could a black satin bow tie be used in conjunction with a pure white straight point collar white shirt and a dark navy suit?

Hardy Amies, arguably the first the men's clothing designer, wrote that he used to attend black tie events around the world wearing a blue suit, white shirt and black bow tie rather than carry evening clothes in his luggage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads