• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I don't think I want to ask..
uhoh.gif

Picked up a few bottles of Eagle Rare 17 year old, and although it's a fantastic bourbon, easily in my top 5, it still cannot touch Stagg. Funny thing is the allocations of ER 17 are pretty low this year, apparently lower than Stagg, so ER 17 may end up scarce before too long. Very difficult to go back to a daily drinker like Booker's, BH, or Noah's Mill after these.

And therein lies why I briefly sought out the Stagg, and then let it drop.

That said, I have some WL Weller 12 with orange zest, and finally have some vanilla beans on order.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Recently I've been thinking of what I should start stockpiling for the impending zombie apocalypse (gold? ammo? food? cigarettes?), and I think liquor is actually the answer. It seems to me a bottle of tolerable alcohol might be one of the most liquid (har har) assets one could have around to trade for things. What do you guys think? And actually, though I'm not a big drinker of it, vodka or, better, everclear could be used for other purposes, like heating and disinfecting, in an emergency.
I absolutely agree and this has been true throughout history. I'd stock the **** up. And learn how to distill my own. Actually knowing how to make booze will probably make you too valuable to kill/eat in the wastelands.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
And therein lies why I briefly sought out the Stagg, and then let it drop.

That said, I have some WL Weller 12 with orange zest, and finally have some vanilla beans on order.

Awww come on! Stagg is an experience, its worth seeking out. Bookers is fine, but its not a revolution.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Awww come on! Stagg is an experience, its worth seeking out. Bookers is fine, but its not a revolution.

I agree, ya gotta try it.

If you had the opportunity to bone Megan Fox, are you saying you'd say "nah, it'd make it it hard to..."

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama

If you had the opportunity to bone Megan Fox, are you saying you'd say "nah, it'd make it it hard to..."

youse guise are pretty damn persuasive.

tdangio

Reaction score
I was out in Denver this past weekend and went to a liquor store that had I think 4 bottles each of the Stagg and Saz if anyone is looking for some out that way.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ehhh, have other priorities at the moment: a project boat I'm trying to get into shape, and some tax exam prep.

That said, I poured a bit of Jack Daniels last night and found it surprisingly sweet, and - AND....PSA here...Jack Daniels does not pair well with scrambled eggs and bacon. So, avoid that combination if at all possible.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama

okay, I chanced into a bottle of the 2007 at a nearby liquor store. 144.8 proof. Is mine now (more on the shelves, though). Will try it, probably this weekend. Interesting that it's nicknamed HAZMAT IV.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay, I chanced into a bottle of the 2007 at a nearby liquor store. 144.8 proof. Is mine now (more on the shelves, though). Will try it, probably this weekend. Interesting that it's nicknamed HAZMAT IV.

YAY!! You won't be disappointed. 2007 version was great, lots of vanilla and spice. Let us know what you think!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
YAY!! You won't be disappointed. 2007 version was great, lots of vanilla and spice. Let us know what you think!

Right now: spice and vanilla and a big raisin opening but holy hell it is pure fire-water. I've had to cut it pretty substantially in order to not have my eyes cross after a sip. How do you guys drink this???

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now: spice and vanilla and a big raisin opening but holy hell it is pure fire-water. I've had to cut it pretty substantially in order to not have my eyes cross after a sip. How do you guys drink this???

I drink a sip without water for fun, then add water to make it tolerable. Its an art/skill, you'll figure it out.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, the alcohol is intense, but cut with the right amount of water, its got a body like no other. I will usually drink this straight from time to time, sip really, but 90% of the time, I'll have 1/4 oz water for every oz of whiskey. So, were we wrong? Good stuff isn't it?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, the alcohol is intense, but cut with the right amount of water, its got a body like no other. I will usually drink this straight from time to time, sip really, but 90% of the time, I'll have 1/4 oz water for every oz of whiskey. So, were we wrong? Good stuff isn't it?

Sadly for my pocketbook, I have to concede that it is spectacular stuff. I may squirrel a bottle or two away for occasions

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not as precise, sometimes I drink it much hotter, sometimes I cut it down to 85ish%, it depends on my mood. Its interesting to see how the drink changes with different amounts of water.

Sadly for my pocketbook, I have to concede that it is spectacular stuff. I may squirrel a bottle or two away for occasions

Very good idea, you won't be sorry.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Taking a break from the BTAC tonight and drinking a Hudson Baby Bourbon on ice. Might have been all the Stagg I have been drinking lately, but this is one corn-heavy mash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads