• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not a bourbon, but since I'm here--Costco also carries a wheat whiskey, Bernheim. Sold out but receiving more cases this Monday. Odd thing...Costco sells it for ~$40, where maker's own srp on its site is $30.

I've had this. It's awful. Save your money.

duofold

Reaction score
good to know. thanks. I am enjoying the EC18. Love the caramel & vanilla. Sweet but not cloying. Looks like my every day drink for awhile.

Oh, and I haven't subscribed to this bourbon as a seasonal thing. Been enjoying it throughout the summer.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

good to know. thanks. I am enjoying the EC18. Love the caramel & vanilla. Sweet but not cloying. Looks like my every day drink for awhile.

Oh, and I haven't subscribed to this bourbon as a seasonal thing. Been enjoying it throughout the summer.

Y'know, I have never bought that either. I will admit, I drink much more rum and gin the summer, than any other season, but I usually sneak in a glass or two of bourbon a week. That said, a powerful robust bourbon like GTS, ER or PVW is unsurpassed on a fall evening, but I still drink it during the summer. I tend to stick with the milder bourbons in the summer though, things like Baker's, Basil Hayden, or Blantons.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Y'know, I have never bought that either. I will admit, I drink much more rum and gin the summer, than any other season, but I usually sneak in a glass or two of bourbon a week. That said, a powerful robust bourbon like GTS, ER or PVW is unsurpassed on a fall evening, but I still drink it during the summer. I tend to stick with the milder bourbons in the summer though, things like Baker's, Basil Hayden, or Blantons.

I drink rye more than bourbon in the summer.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
On a recent trip to LA, I stopped by Beverage Warehouse in Culver City. They have an amazing selection of bourbon (and everything else) and at great prices.

I picked up a bottle of Willet Family Estate Reserve (a whopper at 127 proof), a bottle of Eagle Rare and a bottle of Black Maple Hill (which was the cheapest and my favorite of the three).

Got all three for just over 100 bucks. Wish that store was in China.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now see, I've always found rye, given its spice, to be more more of a fall drink. Probably haven't had rye since March..

I see what you are saying about the spice. I think the fruitiness of it makes it seem more like a summer drink to me.

highball

Reaction score
So my dad's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and I am trying to find a suitable whiskey to gift him. Nothing too fancy, he's a pretty no-nonsense guy. He likes Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniel's single barrel, and his go-to is Crown Royal, but I'd like to get him something a little more refined. Open to pretty much anything (bourbon, scotch, rye, Canadian, etc) but figured I'd post here since you guys seem to have pretty awesome whiskey palates.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So my dad's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and I am trying to find a suitable whiskey to gift him. Nothing too fancy, he's a pretty no-nonsense guy. He likes Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniel's single barrel, and his go-to is Crown Royal, but I'd like to get him something a little more refined. Open to pretty much anything (bourbon, scotch, rye, Canadian, etc) but figured I'd post here since you guys seem to have pretty awesome whiskey palates.

I'll take the nothing fancy to mean under $75 or so. Judging by his likes above, he probably wouldn't want something full bore, flavor missile, so I am going to suggest a few things that will still be fairly subdued, but very, as you say refined. Although some of the mainstream distillers have some great product out there in the small batch category, I won't go there, simply to give him something a little special. Here goes:

For bourbon, thing about Blanton's. It's a very approachable, very "mild", very drinkable bourbon, but at the same time, it's so damn fine as to have earned a permanent place on my bar. I keep it for when I tire of the uber-complexity of the bourbons I normally drink. You'll pay about $55 or so IIRC. Also, Black Maple Hill is a reasonably priced (about $40 to $45) bourbon that manages to be terrific, despite not being in your face.

If he likes Tennessee Whiskey, and judging by his being partial to the JD products above, George Dickel is another maker of Tennessee Whiskey that produces a "single barrel" product that is quite good, and fairly inexpensive at about $35.

I am no expert on Scotch, but if I were buying for someone with the tastes you mention above, I'd go for the 10 year old Glenmorangie (about $70 and one of my favorite single malts ever), 15 year old Glennfiddich, or the 12 year old Glenlivet. All of these are very respectable single malts, and I keep them on hand when I need a break from the more robust Islay malts. Bennriach 16 year old is fantastic, but you'll pay about a hundred bucks. Good luck.

highball

Reaction score

Awesome gnatty, thanks for the suggestions and the thorough response! I'm thinking I might go for the Blanton's as there's a chance he may recognize the brand, and it does have a pretty cool presentation. And it will be something a little different for him since it's Bourbon. Thanks again.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am no expert on Scotch, but if I were buying for someone with the tastes you mention above, I'd go for the 10 year old Glenmorangie (about $70 and one of my favorite single malts ever), 15 year old Glennfiddich, or the 12 year old Glenlivet. All of these are very respectable single malts, and I keep them on hand when I need a break from the more robust Islay malts. Bennriach 16 year old is fantastic, but you'll pay about a hundred bucks. Good luck.

10yo Glenmo is $70 where you are? Seriously? Yikes! Much cheaper online.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

10yo Glenmo is $70 where you are? Seriously? Yikes! Much cheaper online.

Maybe $60, I could be wrong. It's definitely more than $60 though, and that said, I doubt I would go very far out of my way to save 5 or 10 bucks on a bottle of Scotch.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Awesome gnatty, thanks for the suggestions and the thorough response! I'm thinking I might go for the Blanton's as there's a chance he may recognize the brand, and it does have a pretty cool presentation. And it will be something a little different for him since it's Bourbon. Thanks again.

My pleasure, hope the gift works out.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe $60, I could be wrong. It's definitely more than $60 though, and that said, I doubt I would go very far out of my way to save 5 or 10 bucks on a bottle of Scotch.

$30 here... I can send you a case if you want. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads