• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barry Bonds

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
smile.gif

But seriously, I used to live in the Bay Area and followed the Giants, so I'm a fan.

Really?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
I'm pretty sure he tested positive for speed (meth), not steroids.

koji

You're right.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...nds-usat_x.htm

hchamp, I'm a Barry Bonds fan too. In fact, I defended the guy just weeks ago in a thread over at the Current Events forum; too bad you don't have access to it yet. Just stating the facts.
smile.gif

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm a Dodger fan and a lifelong Giant hater, but I give full props to Barry Bonds. I feel fortunate to have seen him play - I've never seen anyone as good as he was in the 2002 postseason. In the biggest games, against the best pitchers, he was simply unbelievable. In the World Series that year against the Angels, his OBP was .700 and his SLG was 1.294. It was like he was playing against little leaguers.

The whole steroid issue - I'd say the worst thing you could say about him is that, after knowing that the whole culture of baseball was awash with steroids for years, and after McGwire and Sosa both broke Maris' record in 1998, Bonds finally decided that he would join the bandwagon. The notion that he was uniquely guilty just doesn't hold water. And there was no policy prohibiting steroids at that time. Now, when there is testing, and he's 43 years old with bad knees, he is still great. Hats off to him.

Now, if he wasn't such an asshole, it would be easier to appreciate him. I think that's the biggest source of all the antipathy toward him.

You, sir, are that rarest of men - a Dodgers fan who makes sense.

I think the no steroid ban is the clincher for me. 'Roids were easy to get and anyone could've done 'em. They were like plastic surgery for beauty pageant contestants. And no-one holds it against Miss Universe that she got a nose job. So why do people hold it against Barry Bonds?

That is assuming he did it.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
This is singularly unconvincing. Vintage Gent's point is, I believe, a far more powerful one.

That said, I do not like him, Sam I Am.

That sounds like guilty until proven innocent.

I also agree with Gent's point. But how do you explain the fact that he's never tested positive for steroids? The whole world is scrutinizing him. Yet he has never been caught. You're the lawyer. Doesn't that mean he's still innocent?

hchamp

Reaction score
And Lindsay didn't actually have cocaine in her car, and if she did she was holding it for a friend, it was just talcum powder anyway, maybe the valet just left it there or something, and any traces found in her bloodstream probably came from contact highs because other people in the club that night were using. Oh, and it wasn't even here, it was her twin sister, didn't you see The Parent Trap?

I haven't followed the Lohan case, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and withold judgment until a court proves that she's guilty.

hchamp

Reaction score
Really?

I don't follow you. OK, you don't like Barry and I do, but is that a good reason to be uncivil?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
That sounds like guilty until proven innocent. I also agree with Gent's point. But how do you explain the fact that he's never tested positive for steroids? The whole world is scrutinizing him. Yet he has never been caught. You're the lawyer. Doesn't that mean he's still innocent?
Do they test in the off-season? You could put on 10-15 pounds of muscle per year and only be on a low maintenance dose during the season (using the kind of cream they give to guys with naturally low T, that you rub on the sack... that level would keep a heavy steroid user from dipping too low when coming off and would look like normal male levels, with some alternate byproducts).

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Do they test in the off-season? You could put on 10-15 pounds of muscle per year and only be on a low maintenance dose during the season (using the kind of cream they give to guys with naturally low T, that you rub on the sack... that level would keep a heavy steroid user from dipping too low when coming off and would look like normal male levels, with some alternate byproducts).

I don't know how this stuff works but that sounds plausible. But still, with the scrutiny he's under you'd think Bonds would be tested year-round. At random.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
You're right.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...nds-usat_x.htm

This says he may have tested positive for amphetamines, but baseball han't confirmed it. And amphetamines are pretty widespread. I read one article that said many clubhouses had two coffee pots. One marked "leaded" and one marked "unleaded". The unleaded was amphetamine free.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natural bodybuilding competition...
Mike_Williams_fifth_European_title_2.JPG
Not so natural...
olympia_contest_pose.gif
(damn lookat that beast RC)

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ They're not even in the same weight class. Why bother?
confused.gif

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^^ They're not even in the same weight class. Why bother?
confused.gif

Tough to find natural heavyweights :p

hchamp

Reaction score
Both pictures are kinda scary, Hoff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads