• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barry Bonds

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
BarryBonds.jpg

barry-bonds-photo.jpg

0_62_bonds_barry.jpg

teacha.gif

koji

hchamp

Reaction score

barry-bonds-photo.jpg

I agree the pictures don't look good, but guys naturally get bigger as they get older. Magic Johnson was a skinny kid when he first came up, but turned into a pretty thick middle-aged man by the time he retired. And Barry's notoriously religious about working out year-round.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
I agree the pictures don't look good, but guys naturally get bigger as they get older. Magic Johnson was a skinny kid when he first came up, but turned into a pretty thick middle-aged man by the time he retired. And Barry's notoriously religious about working out year-round.

No doubt guys can get bigger; even with steroids you have to put in the long gym hours to possibly get that big. The problem I see is the jaw growth, a classic sign of overuse.

chris_jay%20cutler.jpg

(Jay Cutler)

hchamp

Reaction score
No doubt guys can get bigger; even with steroids you have to put in the long gym hours to possibly get that big. The problem I see is the jaw growth, a classic sign of overuse.

chris_jay%20cutler.jpg

(Jay Cutler)

Are you saying the actual jaw bone gets bigger?

hchamp

Reaction score
And back to the HGH, doesn't that have to be injected directly into the blood? Bonds was accused of rubbing creams into his skin.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is an injection but I'm not familiar if baseball tested for it or not.

hchamp

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_hormone

Interesting. But in the closeup you have, Bonds seems to be holding his breath which can puff out the cheeks and make his face look bigger. If you look at the photo of him in the tee-shirt, his jaw looks normal. And guys will tend to put on weight in the face also with age. The bone structure may change, too, though I'm just speculating about this.

hchamp

Reaction score
It is an injection but I'm not familiar if baseball tested for it or not.

Apparently, they don't. Guys don't like the idea of blood testing, though it works in the Olympics.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a Dodger fan and a lifelong Giant hater, but I give full props to Barry Bonds. I feel fortunate to have seen him play - I've never seen anyone as good as he was in the 2002 postseason. In the biggest games, against the best pitchers, he was simply unbelievable. In the World Series that year against the Angels, his OBP was .700 and his SLG was 1.294. It was like he was playing against little leaguers.

The whole steroid issue - I'd say the worst thing you could say about him is that, after knowing that the whole culture of baseball was awash with steroids for years, and after McGwire and Sosa both broke Maris' record in 1998, Bonds finally decided that he would join the bandwagon. The notion that he was uniquely guilty just doesn't hold water. And there was no policy prohibiting steroids at that time. Now, when there is testing, and he's 43 years old with bad knees, he is still great. Hats off to him.

Now, if he wasn't such an asshole, it would be easier to appreciate him. I think that's the biggest source of all the antipathy toward him.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^Welcome to StyleForum Mr. Bonds.

smile.gif
Until tested positive, I absolutely deny your accusations.

But seriously, I used to live in the Bay Area and followed the Giants, so I'm a fan.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
But guys get caught for steroids all the time. And no-one is tested more than Barry. Yet he hasn't tested positive. Ever.

This is singularly unconvincing. Vintage Gent's point is, I believe, a far more powerful one.

That said, I do not like him, Sam I Am.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Interesting. But in the closeup you have, Bonds seems to be holding his breath which can puff out the cheeks and make his face look bigger. If you look at the photo of him in the tee-shirt, his jaw looks normal. And guys will tend to put on weight in the face also with age. The bone structure may change, too, though I'm just speculating about this.

And Lindsay didn't actually have cocaine in her car, and if she did she was holding it for a friend, it was just talcum powder anyway, maybe the valet just left it there or something, and any traces found in her bloodstream probably came from contact highs because other people in the club that night were using. Oh, and it wasn't even here, it was her twin sister, didn't you see The Parent Trap?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads