• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The male hipster "look" seems fairly well defined. But what do female hipsters look like?

I used to see a girl who considered herself hipster. Nothing really unique, but clothes where only allowed to be purchased from vintage stores on Brunswick Street and savers.

I got straight out of there when she cracked it(and her friends) at me for oppressing her after I held the door open for her.

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot organic food, Vinyl, flannelette shirts, bicycles most of it from what i have observed is culturally recycled and not original, anyway according to the NYT its passe, but if thats what floats your boat so be it.

Probably owns a vinyl, and probably has a bike. ******* hipster.

I don't know if I have a boat - I'm kind of just a nerd who likes loose clothing and concepts.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA to Canberra members we are planning a few events coming up over the next couple of months leading up to xmas with Braddon Tailors. First one will be the Hustle & Scout Markets on the 22nd November and then our next Trunk Show looking like the 11th December but rather than be at the BT studio we are negotiating with QT Hotel in New Acton to host it for us. At the trunk show we'll have the new Shantung ties and Suspenders released.

Also I got my dates mixed up on the Free Shipping promotion and the cose actually expires tonight at Midnight not last night for anyone wanting to get a late order in.

herringbonePete

Reaction score
Just got some new shirts in the post. 2 don't have a spread collar - (they didn't have the spread in stock for that colour and check combo) I generally buy business shirts with spread collars - especially in a check - so I can wear them 7 days a week if I fancy it taking the shirt from work to home with no dramas.

The point collars don't look right on me when I wear them business casual open neck, no tie.

There is a school of though on SF that point collars are less formal than spread collars but a spread collar actually looks so good without a tie - the collars tucked neatly away from your neck and not drawing attention to the fact you are wearing a smarter shirt over a casual shirt. Right now the point collar seems to be actually drawing attention to the fact I am not wearing a tie,sitting up starkly ! Curious how 'rules' on SF come about and yet can be so meaningless!

Last edited:

herringbonePete

Reaction score
Is it me being old and grumpy, or is it, people wearing thick framed glasses with the "geek" look, annoying and pretentious? It vexes me. #endrant
I first noticed this trend in about 1997 long before anyone started talking about hipsters. Back then in London fashions suddenly changed almost in a year.
In 1996 people were still wearing colourful cotton shirts - a year later we saw black, turtle neck collars, glasses. it was a distinctly metro-urban look which seems to have been around well before
the latest incarnation of the hipster. They have just taken that look to the next level!

It's not a trend I like or would ever go for.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The male hipster "look" seems fairly well defined. But what do female hipsters look like?

I used to see a girl who considered herself hipster. Nothing really unique, but clothes where only allowed to be purchased from vintage stores on Brunswick Street and savers.

I got straight out of there when she cracked it(and her friends) at me for oppressing her after I held the door open for her.

Should've gone full Borat on her.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WWRN
I posted this a while back but didn't have time to say what I was going to. The quality of this polo is amazing - thick and well made. I figured out it must be over 15 years old and just gets thrown in the wash and used mostly for working in. The colour has also stayed fairly saturated. I don't think that truck stop exists anymore at YASS? - HC?. Certainly Ampol has disappeared.

The best , read most robust, polos I have are either freebies or like the above. My other two which come to mind as substantial and long lasting are a World Glaucoma Day polo with logo and a Linux Software conference freebie that must be more than 15 too. I don't like logos or writing on clothes but I do like the odd band T and I have a weakness for the old rockabilly style bowling shirts etc with Joe's Mechanic Pasadena etc.

Silly rhetorical question: why is it that freebie polos are so much better built than any others I find around? Is it just because they are from a different era?

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I posted this a while back but didn't have time to say what I was going to. The quality of this polo is amazing - thick and well made. I figured out it must be over 15 years old and just gets thrown in the wash and used mostly for working in. The colour has also stayed fairly saturated. I don't think that truck stop exists anymore at YASS? - HC?. Certainly Ampol has disappeared.

The best , read most robust, polos I have are either freebies or like the above. My other two which come to mind as substantial and long lasting are a World Glaucoma Day polo with logo and a Linux Software conference freebie that must be more than 15 too. I don't like logos or writing on clothes but I do like the odd band T and I have a weakness for the old rockabilly style bowling shirts etc with Joe's Mechanic Pasadena etc.

Silly rhetorical question: why is it that freebie polos are so much better built than any others I find around? Is it just because they are from a different era?

Yass - probably been there about half a dozen times on the way from Syd to Melb - last time was about 2000 - all I remember is it was somewhere you could get out, get petrol and take a piss before you kept going.

That's about right. Time was that you actually had to stop in Yass on your way through but not now of course. Still there is a big servo and truck stop on the highway, might even be a Mobil you know. My wife's uncle owns the Mobil depot here in Canberra, I'll ask him next time I see him. I pass through once or twice a year on the way to Batlow, boring bloody drive till you get to Gundagai.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@LonerMatt , chill mate. To me, "hipster" is a look and maybe an attitude, not a person.

In my 20s, believe it or not, I had a mohawk, Doc Martens suede brothel creepers, and a Brando jacket. Not only did I go to grungy post-punk gigs at the Espy, I was on stage for some of them. I would have been a natural, fully-immersed hipster in today's inner-city scene - but fortunately or unfortunately, I'm now thirty years too old for that kind of folly.

It's just that hipsters are really easy to poke fun at. So we do.

cciss

Reaction score
Just wear things that fit and look good and act nice and as if you don't care and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads