• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree and think the above rule applies, although as a consultant in the financial services sector I end up feeling over dressed 99% of the time in summer. At two of the big banks from section heads to senior executives the general summer wardrobe is trousers and a collared shirt...I cant discern a clear pattern but occasionally you see a tie (or jacket sitting on the back of a chair), I assume when they are meeting with the person above them perhaps. I would say the women in these institutions on average dress more professionally than the men all year around.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oli - Yes, women typically dress in a more flamboyant manner than men. You don't see many women walking around in a white shirt, grey skirt, grey jacket and black shoes.

However, that doesn't mean that they are badly dressed. You can be a bit more flamboyant and yet still be well dressed.

Most men - even very successful men - dress quite badly. Loudly striped or loudly checked shirt with open collar and no tie, but possibly with French cuffs. Black trousers, quite often hemmed a bit too long. Corrected grain bluchers or slip-on shoes, quite probably scuffed and battered or, at best, a pair of RM Williams elastic sided boots.

Give me a bit of colour and flamboyance from female colleagues over the typically-dressed male any day.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oli - Yes, women typically dress in a more flamboyant manner than men. You don't see many women walking around in a white shirt, grey skirt, grey jacket and black shoes.

However, that doesn't mean that they are badly dressed. You can be a bit more flamboyant and yet still be well dressed.

Most men - even very successful men - dress quite badly. Loudly striped or loudly checked shirt with open collar and no tie, but possibly with French cuffs. Black trousers, quite often hemmed a bit too long. Corrected grain bluchers or slip-on shoes, quite probably scuffed and battered or, at best, a pair of RM Williams elastic sided boots.

Give me a bit of colour and flamboyance from female colleagues over the typically-dressed male any day.

I enjoy face-stalking some of the Young Liberal girls. They can pull off black tie.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I enjoy face-stalking some of the Young Liberal girls. They can pull off black tie. 

Date a waitress if you enjoy black tie.

ryanohare

Reaction score

Wear what you want;)

Indeed. It's Australia too - there's hardly 'rules' here is there? If you work on Wall St, or in the City in London there'l be expectations of pinstripes. Melbourne (Big 4 Companies or not) has and should continue to have zero rules.

Edwardz

Reaction score
I have a NWT RLBL Nigel 36R charcoal suit if anyone is interested in Sydney. Purchased off another SF member and willing to sell at cost if you want to pick it up.

Unfortunately I need a bigger size. Couldn't try one on in a retail store since they basically stock RL polo only here

Measurements etc are in a post in the marketplace.

herringbonePete

Reaction score
Quote:
Speaking as a former Londoner, there are sorts of 'tiers' in the workforce. You get the fully-paid up bloke in a sharp suit - regardless of whether he is Oxbridge and then you get the wheeler-dealer who has aped the traditional look. Then in the outer suburbs or the West End you get a sort of watered-down look. Noone really expects pin-stripes in the City of London. What you do see is a fairly high common denominator borne of blokes being taught how to dress by their fathers, or by their schools. People would also observe how others dress and take advantage of the premier shops around. It's hard to dress really badly when there are so many shops stocking nice shirts - all on special. I think we criticise Australia too much - plenty of opportunity to get a nice shirt - if you know what to look for.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Indeed. It's Australia too - there's hardly 'rules' here is there? If you work on Wall St, or in the City in London there'l be expectations of pinstripes. Melbourne (Big 4 Companies or not) has and should continue to have zero rules.
I think if you feel comfortable in it then its fine.

If you feel self conscious or need to ask if its OK then you are probably out of your depth.

ryanohare

Reaction score

I think if you feel comfortable in it then its fine.

If you feel self conscious or need to ask if its OK then you are probably out of your depth.

Agreed.

And let's be honest, (inclusive of Big4) the aceppted corporate attire in Melbourne/Sydney is some scuffed pointed Aquila's, with an ill-fitting $600 Peter Jackson suit anyway.

I'm all for anything that 'fashionably extreme' that bucks that trend.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice and comments - I'm used to academia and hospitals - so the dress code is ridiculous, at best!

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it me being old and grumpy, or is it, people wearing thick framed glasses with the "geek" look, annoying and pretentious? It vexes me. #endrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads