• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Herringbone Pete was hoping that people would be impressed by his lovely, new shoes and that he'd receive some compliments.

Unfortunately, (in my experience, at least) it's not common to be complimented on shoes. I'm occasionally complimented on shirts and ties, rarely complimented on suits or jackets, and almost never complimented on shoes. People occasionally notice when I wear my side-buckle monks or double monks, as they look different, but other than that I receive almost no comments on shoes.

I suspect that this is for two reasons: 1) Most men nowadays know virtually nothing about good shoes; and 2) Most women know virtually nothing about men's shoes. As a result, neither male nor female colleagues pay much attention to the shoes that men in the office wear.

Pete - for what it's worth - congrats on your new shoes, and I'm sure that they look very nice!

Pretty much.

As Guido would say: only men and women who 'know' will comment. I'd concentrate more on fit if you want to be noticed. It's so rare to see an clothes that fit their wearers impeccably, that even the simplest outfit will be noticed if it fits well.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you will be fine, no one in your office would know even if it is inappropriate. But Brogues are perfectly fine for office wear.

Do you want people to comment?

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Herringbone Pete was hoping that people would be impressed by his lovely, new shoes and that he'd receive some compliments.

Unfortunately, (in my experience, at least) it's not common to be complimented on shoes. I'm occasionally complimented on shirts and ties, rarely complimented on suits or jackets, and almost never complimented on shoes. People occasionally notice when I wear my side-buckle monks or double monks, as they look different, but other than that I receive almost no comments on shoes.

I suspect that this is for two reasons: 1) Most men nowadays know virtually nothing about good shoes; and 2) Most women know virtually nothing about men's shoes. As a result, neither male nor female colleagues pay much attention to the shoes that men in the office wear.

Pete - for what it's worth - congrats on your new shoes, and I'm sure that they look very nice!

+1 well said.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah congrats to pete but I find it varies from office to office to be honest and of course your relationship with your colleagues. Never seen a compliment for a black pair of shoes or boots but at my current offices brown/burgundy/walnut have got positive comments when teed up with the right outfits

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty much.

As Guido would say: only men and women who 'know' will comment. I'd concentrate more on fit if you want to be noticed. It's so rare to see an clothes that fit their wearers impeccably, that even the simplest outfit will be noticed if it fits well.

+1

You can see what most men think of shoes by the shoes they themselves wear. Square-toed, heavily stitched uppers, pointing upward, glued monstrosities.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rhodes and beckett online sale is pretty ho hum. Magically between yesterday afternoon and when it went live last night so many sizes and some items just magically became out of stock. I don't know why but I suspect some of them will magically be back in stock once the extra 20% for members finishes ;p

If anyones eyeing off some basic chinos or stuff countryroads mid season sale starts tonight.

Superfudge

Reaction score
Sophie has conceded. Will not ask for recount.

You know, there was a good Media Watch segment on Monday about Sophie. I hate her as much as the next bleeding-heart Liberal, but bear in mind, many right-wingers hated Julia Gillard just as much, and fo similar ideological reasons. If you replaced "Julia" with "Sophie" in all the invective from last year that was considered so offensive, what changes, other than your political orientation?

herringbonePete

Reaction score
Quote:
I'm not bothered actually, and the only person that will take notice is my wife and she will be pleased to know I have not run down the coffers by several hundred dollars. It's just that, quite simply, I am ruining shoes by overwear. I just couldn't resist gushing, tongue in cheek. I am a bit of an old hand at this game in some ways, you guys are just freshening up my outlook which was sort of set in my 20s - and arguably has not moved on much.

Chich

Reaction score
hey guys,

curious on what tailors everyone here uses and whether they could make any recommendations for one where I can get either a MTM or bespoke suit from? Happy to use a traveling tailor, however I don't exactly plan to be going overseas anytime in the near future, so either local or traveling would be best.

Cheers

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local tailor is Zink & Sons in Sydney, but I also get MTM from Shanghai C&G Fashion. I can recommend both, depending on what price you're able to pay.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not bothered actually, and the only person that will take notice is my wife and she will be pleased to know I have not run down the coffers by several hundred dollars. It's just that, quite simply, I am ruining shoes by overwear.

I just couldn't resist gushing, tongue in cheek. I am a bit of an old hand at this game in some ways, you guys are just freshening up my outlook which was
sort of set in my 20s - and arguably has not moved on much.

People may not notice one thing on one day, but over time they do.

Keep up the good fight.

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
Hmmm my 2 cents as a noob, but I think for the most part only people in the know would comment, 2 reasons

First, generic compliments like "nice shirt" or "cool shoes" are more common, but could be due to the shirt's colour as opposed to something more specific like collar roll or a nicely polished pair of cordovans... I'm not sure this counts as the compliment that most people who really dress well, deserve - perhaps it is a little elementary

Second... I'm not sure if this is directly translatable but as a watch collector ('watch snob'?), I'd only comment on someone who is in the know. For example, yesterday I met someone who was wearing a $12k watch. His watch was worthy of a comment, it was a relatively uncommon jaeger, but from my (unfair and unjust) guestimate based on the rest of his attire, I surmised the response would not reveal an impressive depth of knowledge... so I decided to spare the exchange altogether. For me, it is the same... I don't want to ask "They're EGs arent they?" and be met with a blank stare like (o_o)

Last thing I will say tho - is - some people (like me) have real trouble with nice shoes... some have the unfortunate condition of being born with five (5) toes on each foot, which makes finding a comfortable pair of shoes extremely difficult. Oh right, the condition is not the number of toes but rather the fact they're hammer toes so rub painfully against everything except hush puppies.

You know, what they say about karma, ITS TRUE...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads