• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No worries, I'll have it all with me for the trunk show. Speaking of that, invites should go out over the next couple of days.

They sound perfect for my son, who is out on film locations all the time. Can you hold a charcoal pair for me, and I'll pick them up at the trunk show.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
During my suit research I notice a few companies who ask for self measurement, indochino, instichu etc. to me that seems a little strange, what if I f#ck it up? I'm also keen to chat to my tailor! Should these be avoided or am I being too cynical? (forgive me if this has already been discussed I'm new to this game. New job, new wardrobe. Previous job was fairly casual attire). Hmmm I'm confused.
I meet way too many guys who want their first proper suit and go down the MTM route. IMO it just isn't worth the effort, money or risk for any guy's first few suits unless you have a very hard to fit body. It's only worth venturing into PJ and maybe Rob's type thing once you know what you want after a year or two of wearing suits everyday, and only if you truly have a passion for men's clothing. Online MTM is just a mugs game, anyone who gets this right on the first time has fluked it. Just go to MJ Bale/Herringbone/Azzaro etc, find something that fits and alter it.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A wonderful summer's day in Sydney, ideal for loafing around.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I meet way too many guys who want their first proper suit and go down the MTM route. IMO it just isn't worth the effort, money or risk for any guy's first few suits unless you have a very hard to fit body. It's only worth venturing into PJ and maybe Rob's type thing once you know what you want after a year or two of wearing suits everyday, and only if you truly have a passion for men's clothing. Online MTM is just a mugs game, anyone who gets this right on the first time has fluked it. Just go to MJ Bale/Herringbone/Azzaro etc, find something that fits and alter it.

This very good advice and if you get a corker fitting suit just have it copied.

Sorry to bombard you guys with questions but collar stays - worth using or are they a bit too artifice? (what would patrick johnson do?) :D

Shirts need collar styas if they are formal business shirts. If you wonder why look at all the pollies who fail to wear them as they probably don't know what they are for.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely - this is something that I say a lot, too.

When I read threads here and on places like Whirlpool where people ask about getting a suit and they're immediately told "get an online MTM suit", I feel like doing a facepalm.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys; good news! I finally have all the basics of a shoe wardrobe covered: 2x black conservative business dress shoes, a pair of semi casual brogues, a chukka, a suede Oxford and don't really have anything which I absolutely need at the moment. But now I'm waiting of CK do get his second order of shoes; apparently there will be a size 6! Beyond that I've been trying not to buy clothing for this past month and am going to do this for as long as possible. I'm saving for a pair of bespoke shoes as I have never really had the pleasure of wearing shoes that fit me properly 'well'; I am wondering if any of you have gone down this route and have any tips for me :)

Thanks in advance!

BaldwinP

Reaction score

Agreed. I'm considering a MTM suit in the near future just because I already have a few excellent OTR suits and because of that I know how tough it is to find the right suit and the right measurements for me - I know what I'm after and I'm willing to pay a premium to get it versus spending hours upon hours browsing racks of suits and online ads hoping someone is selling it OTR.

A lot of online MTM suits, like Indochino, are sold not on that basis but on a price basis, the idea that for the same price or cheaper they are of superior quality to a common fused department store brand (debatable, from what I've seen) and a better fit (still often debatable unless you get lucky- more likely to get a good fit by trying on a half dozen OTR suits and having the best one altered than you are from the first try at online MTM, I would think, and much quicker too). I would definitely recommend going to Azzaro, or to MJ Bale on sale, over doing that, especially for a first suit before you really have a good idea of how suits fit you and what looks good on you.

g-banger

Reaction score
Gents,

On the debate of suits - I totally agree. For a bloke like myself who doesn't need suit up all the time (apart from weddings, interviews or formal occasions at work) My Rhodes and Beckett suit has done great service to me, fits great and gets plenty of comments from friends. I don't care if its fully lined or lapels in a particular style. I just want to look decent. Going with a mate next week to check out mj bales range might even spilt the 2 suis for 1k with a mate.

FYI - Finally got around to giving tm lewin (fully fitted) shirts a try on at myers, I actually think they fit better than any MTM shirt I've had made or my herringbone/R&B shirts. Btw Rhodes and Beckett have a new shirt cut called tailored cut its slimmer than their standard slim shirt

btw - Nabil and Michael was awesome meeting you guys fri night, it's refreshing to meet people who are on the same page. Def keen for another drink, this time mike no driving :)

Nicholas D C

Reaction score
btw - Nabil and Michael was awesome meeting you guys fri night, it's refreshing to meet people who are on the same page. Def keen for another drink, this time mike no driving
smile.gif

Bummer, missed out on this meet - was working late Fri. night. Any plans (venue/times) for the next one? Bavarian @ O'Connell St is my suggestion for venue ;)

g-banger

Reaction score

Bummer, missed out on this meet - was working late Fri. night. Any plans (venue/times) for the next one? Bavarian @ O'Connell St is my suggestion for venue ;)

Sounds good to me! Early to mid April?

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I went into Gerry's Shoe Closest (TM).

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
I agree about online MTM, to me a proper tailor must assess not only the need and application for the suit, measurements and the desired silhouette, but also the stance of the individual, almost impossible without being there in person. For a younger man, it's also probably better to go with a more modern cut (slim, flat front trousers) OTR, as most young guys can't pull off the more classic look (aka Saville Row). But a lot of people can't fit an off the rack suit properly. I'm about 5' 7" and 72 kg, and have thick thighs from playing soccer. I've found trousers that fit well and sports coat that fit well, but never both at once. Hence, my first suit was Bespoke/MTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads