• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
HONG KONG...

Hello All, am heading up for first visit to Hong Kong in couple of weeks for MTM and bespoke suits and shirts and some serious shoe shopping - mostly casual shoes as work shoes happily come from Herrings. I have read many of the threads here re where to go and what to see and of course stand out tailors and those not so good. Have a good list of must visits (Armoury, Chan, Slowear etc etc). Am keen to learn from the AU thread members re any recommendations for places to head. Am there from Sunday to Sunday so have heaps of time to explore and am staying in the Lan Kwai Fong area. Please feel free to unleash on places to avoid also. For example, I am told Nathan Road is not worth the effort.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How come? I've never bought anything there - I just included them for completeness.

Hi mate,
One of my work colleague went to Josephs during his lunch break to check out some shoes. Now this guy spends $$ on his shoes and always buy them from Sydney stores. He doesn't believe buying shoes from the internet. As soon as he entered Josephs , he was sked by an old man what was his budget. He said it was under $300. The old man advised that he should go to lowes on park st as all of his shoes are $300+++. Also my colleague when he went to the store he was dressed all business.
And guess what I have found on wirepool forum.

below is a comment from wirepool forum-

[COLOR=FF00AA]"I went into this store the other day in the city called Josephs shoes, the guy at the store was pretty arrogant. Before saying anything, he asked me how much I'm looking to spend, I go probably around $200. He tells me the cheapest shoe in his store is $195, if you want to buy anything cheaper just go to Lowes. At this point, the message was kind of "get out of my store if you only have a $200 budget". Then goes on to say his shoes are all European made, blah blah blah. What a wanker."[/COLOR]
origin-
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1570008

tailoredstuff

Reaction score
HONG KONG...

Hello All, am heading up for first visit to Hong Kong in couple of weeks for MTM and bespoke suits and shirts and some serious shoe shopping - mostly casual shoes as work shoes happily come from Herrings. I have read many of the threads here re where to go and what to see and of course stand out tailors and those not so good. Have a good list of must visits (Armoury, Chan, Slowear etc etc). Am keen to learn from the AU thread members re any recommendations for places to head. Am there from Sunday to Sunday so have heaps of time to explore and am staying in the Lan Kwai Fong area. Please feel free to unleash on places to avoid also. For example, I am told Nathan Road is not worth the effort.
Peter Lee for suits/shirts
Zee's for custom made shoes
Sneaker Street for runners/kicks etc
Mytailor shirts
Armory for Carmina
Take5 for Denim

Last edited:

eightace

Reaction score
I've just moved into Sydney and I'm about to do a wander around the city in search of a decent pair of shoes. I'm looking for something casual for summer and in darker brown (maybe even a brownish red, if it works), potentially a pair of leather loafers or brogues. Would anyone have any suggestions about places I should have a look at?
Mate, there were a pair of Loake 1880s at Enrico Santi in Pitt St as recently as last week for $195.

cciss

Reaction score
That sounds excellent, I have a lot of things to explore! Additionally, Topman has these Hudson loafers, they seem to be what I'm looking for.

Anyone have experience with buying shoes from Topman? I'm worried about the length of the return policy. And lastly, do they look any good?

eightace

Reaction score
I am tempted now. Dumb question. Are they for business or casual ?
Smart casual?

Honestly mate, I can't say - the style says business but the colour says casual.That's my feeling, from a week-old memory. Sorry I can't be more help.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best place to buy an Cravat in Sydney?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
blue and green should definitely be seen! Some first shots from the O&J photo shoot.

lennier

Reaction score
Yet another train wreck of a Brownlow from what I've seen. Half the blokes thought they were going to a funeral, the other half to senior prom. And a new low of a FIH tie paired with a wing collar, or perhaps he was the butler. Gary Ablett's decent form from last year didn't carry over, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads