• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More like you're late to the party. :laugh:

Blah...I am not even invited to the party. Still quite like the jacket and the fact they are linked together (ie not just the look I like and in some ways already wear, with Barbour quilted jacket, but the creation and selling of the two pieces as one).

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a big thread on whirlpool regarding why this card is so good (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1677676&p=80&#r1583), but in essence:
-No annual fee
-If you put it into a positive balance before going overseas, you can withdraw from O/S ATMs and pay only the ~$2 fee for using another ATM (no foreign transaction fees, currency conversion fees etc)
-If you make a credit purchase from an overseas store, you will pay no foreign transaction fees, currency conversion fees etc
-55 days interest free
-On all foreign withdrawals/purchases you get the exact Mastercard exchange rate, which is generally better than VISA and much better than Paypal's, and no added fees as above
I don't think there are any cards that offer all of the above that I know of. NAB Gold Visa debit used to come close, but now it's terrible.
So when in Aus, you buy whatever you like from overseas and get great exchange rates and no fees (especially good when ordering from stores that don't take paypal and only take CC), then pay it off during the interest free period. When overseas you put it in credit and use it for purchases and withdrawals.
This post sums up pretty well what to look for in terms of cards if you're planning a trip: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1725541&p=12#r236
*edit* FXH the official policy is that they don't allow you to add a positive balance to your card, but a lot of people have been using it this way for quite a few years now

Thanks lachy

Thats about right. Good old Whirlpool is a great resource. You cant beat a bunch of geeks to hunt down the true story on most things. Reminds me of the good old days of the internet on use-net and slashdot.

I think thats where I heard stories of the 28 card suddenly being stopped when OS because of a cash balance.

I now remember that for me it wasn't worth it as I wanted to use both credit and debit and I already had the cards.

edit:: I also remember I wasn't keen at all because it was GE who I think are a real mob of pricks.

Last edited:

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I have been happy with my credit cards when travelling and have used the CommBank Travel Money Card as a debit card in Japan and Hong Kong and I thought it was really pretty good rate and fee wise.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Out of interest (no pun intended), what's the advantage of using a debit card when traveling over a credit card? When I travel I just try to put everything on my NAB Qantas Amex/Visa card. If I need cash, I just get a cash advance fro. An ATM and then flick over some cash to my credit card account online the next chance I get. Plus you get the advantage of insurance coverage (purchase and extended warranty, not really all that keen on credit card travel insurance) plus frequent flyer points.

jobro

Reaction score
I just purchased a jumper from Ralph Lauren in David Jones ($300). I had a look at the Ralph Lauren (USA) store online and it seems the jumper has been re-branded from RLX ($500) at a ~40% discount. Anyone noticed anything similar before? I'm really surprised by this as it's usually the other way around!

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the way it usually works is that the top end label gets the latest in design then it slowly filters down to the lower end labels in subsequent seasons with cheaper material and construction.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Out of interest (no pun intended), what's the advantage of using a debit card when traveling over a credit card? When I travel I just try to put everything on my NAB Qantas Amex/Visa card. If I need cash, I just get a cash advance fro. An ATM and then flick over some cash to my credit card account online the next chance I get. Plus you get the advantage of insurance coverage (purchase and extended warranty, not really all that keen on credit card travel insurance) plus frequent flyer points.

I use the debit card to get cash out - no interest - CC charge from the minute you get cash out - and they charge at CC rates.

CC for credit purchases.

Having two cards means you don't have to do online banking while away unless you want to.

The use of cards and credit isn't as ubiquitous in most places as it is in Oz. In Oz I do almost everything on CC, groceries, petrol, bills, BPay, parking, meals, ......

I mostly use cash unless its a big store or institution - just to be safe. And a lot of the stuff I do isn't at big places - I eat at night markets, small country towns, roadside stalls, shop at small shops etc. They don't have CC facilities anyway.

And as for Loyalty or FF points - pffft - you could spend for years and only get a tea towel.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ I think with credit cards the fx rate should be the same across the same card brand. Then the banks can decide on the extra fees they charge. Commbank charges me like $1.50 or 3% of purchase price for foreign transactions or something on top of the credit card fx rate.

The issue with foreign transaction is that the card company sets the exchange rate and not the banks. And with Master Card on a number of occasions the rate that they offer for the Oz against the Greenback has been considerably lower. How they are able to do this I don't know.

budgiesmuggler

Reaction score
Citibank - no account fee, no forex fees, no fee for withdrawing from foreign ATM. Applies to both credit card and their basic bank account. Exchange rate on the debit card is aT the inter bank rate.

Free bottle of wine in loads of restaurants if you pay on the citi bank/credit card. Good restaurants too, free wine at boathouse last week.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Week of shell - Day 3:

Suit: Rhodes and Beckett
Shirt: Lorenzini
Tie: Holland and Holland
Pocket Square: Kent Wang
Shoes: Florsheim Imperial V-Cleat Long Wing Derbies

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads