• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually looking forward to getting up there on that thing. I see potential for some incredibly awkward very romantic moments. That being said, Melbourne skyline is hardly awesome.

Last edited:

MickyD

Reaction score
we did the wheel in Singapore, was REALLY good, we went in to it benig a bit cynical and taking the piss out of it, but it was seriously good. We also had to pod to ourselves which helped.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was actually looking forward to getting up there on that thing. I see potential for some incredibly awkward very romantic moments. That being said, Melbourne skyline is hardly awesome.

Melbourne skyline may not be as awesome as many cities the world over, but there is a genuine sense of comfort in driving along the Bolte Bridge from the airport after a trip overseas and looking over to the left and seeing the lights and feeling a sense of belonging to this city.

Gecko

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, it was recommended that I repost this post in this thread.. so here it is :) Thanks in advance for any advice.

------ re post-------

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I just want to say that I'm a complete newbie, so if I trangress any written or unwritten rules, please be gentle with me. I'm looking for some advice and I'm embarrassed to say that while I have an interest in "looking good", I am fairly clueless when it comes to style. I suppose you could say I'm a typical Aussie male.

I'm a guy in his mid 30's. I've allowed myself to get fairly overweight. I'm 6'4" (194cm) and have a 43" waist (although 42" trousers are generally comfortable and 44" are a bit too loose) and wear somewhere between a 48" and 50" jacket (depending on the cut, either size is OK).

I work in the legal profession and while I buy "middle of the road" suits and shirts (e.g. Hugo Boss, better quality Studio Italia, sometimes Ted Baker if I can find a suit that fits, Herringbone or similar shirts, Lloyd shoes), I always feel like I'm not getting good value for money and I always feel like I look a little bit dishevilled. I really want to kick things up a notch but whenever I go into a suit store, I feel overwhelmed! Most suits look similar to me and I've tended to shop by brand (which I know is not the right way to approach suit purchase, but as I said, I am fairly clueless). The other issue is that I am currently on a weightloss program, so I don't want to go out and spend thousands on bespoke suits only to find that they don't fit after 2-3 months.

So... with that in mind, I have two questions:

1. What would you recommend as a good "interim" solution - what suit styles best suit a tall overweight guy (not very overweight, I am lucky that I seem to carry it well)? I am in Sydney but travel to Melbourne regularly so could buy there if necessary.

2. Once I lose the pot belly and slim down, what would you recommend? Bespoke? If so, is there anyone good in Sydney or in SE Asia?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I should add that I tend to prefer more classic looks, not necessarily cutting edge fashion. I like classic stuff with a bit of a twist.

If you need more description from me, please let me know.

Cheers.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Melbourne skyline may not be as awesome as many cities the world over, but there is a genuine sense of comfort in driving along the Bolte Bridge from the airport after a trip overseas and looking over to the left and seeing the lights and feeling a sense of belonging to this city.

True. Love the view from the Bolte. We ain't exactly Sydney or Rio or Hong Kong in the looks department, but at least we have that.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gecko. There are a few people here who have lost a bit of weight . They might chime in.

It depends a bit on if you are a "skinny" 6'4" who has put ona bit around the middle or you are a solid boned bloke who is chunky all over and will still be solid, if a bit slimmer, when weight is lost.

Some people only spread out around the middle, some in thighs and others it will be a shrinkage almost everywhere including neck size and shoes. So it does depend a bit.

Taking things Ina bit isn't a problem most times. But more than a size down generally doesn't work well.

You might go better picking up second hand stuff in opshops that fit witha bit of adjustment until you stabilize. I very often come across very good stuff in opshops in very large sizes. There was a very nice Huntsman, in a large 44 or so size, DB, high rise, heavy grey pinstripes, made for braces, full fishtail rear etc etc for $40. In good nick. I didnt get it and when I revisited it was gone.

Same with shirts often large sizes.

Also the dreaded eBay isn't so bad. My mate who is 6'2" but very skinny, or so has picked up dozens of very good suits on eBay for less than $200 that fit him witha bit of tweaking.mostly they will have pleats often two.

There is a BIG Blokes shop called O'Henry in Balwyn that has some nice stuff in jackets, suits, shirts etc.. They also do MTM. Its all done by Rembrandt in NZ. Guy who runs it seems to know his clothes.

http://www.ohenrymenswear.com.au/

Edit
Also a GOOD big blokes place will have a real sense of how to make a big bloke look good.

I'd be wary of places that see their ideal customer as a small skinny ABC or similar.*

* not that there anything wrong with that etc etc

Last edited:

sochumpy

Reaction score
I have a friend living in Adelaide who needs some advice on where to buy. He found a place called John K Tailors but has not heard if they are any good.
Has anyone got an opinion on John K Tailors in Adelaide?
Are there any places to buy MTM or even good RTW suits in Adelaide?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be wary of places that see their ideal customer as a small skinny ABC or similar.*
* not that there anything wrong with that etc etc

i.e. don't shop where I shop :laugh:

Not sure about Azzaro really, though I haven't been back there for half a year now. Plenty of big sizes, but not sure they have many for tall people.

Last edited:

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend living in Adelaide who needs some advice on where to buy. He found a place called John K Tailors but has not heard if they are any good.
Has anyone got an opinion on John K Tailors in Adelaide?
Are there any places to buy MTM or even good RTW suits in Adelaide?

I've used John K for some alterations. Little slow, like many decent tailors, but good service, and good results. If he wants MTM it's between them and Tailors of Distinction in one of the arcades off Rundle Mall, or wait until P Johnson does one of the Adelaide fittings. If he's looking for RTW, about two stores down from John K is Adelaide Suits Direct. Decent half canvas/full canvas super 100-140's suits for around $400-800 respectively. Very conservatively coloured, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads