• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaoli

Reaction score
sacrifices have to be made to build a wardrobe from scratch.

i dont think i will need to buy anymore clothing or accessories for a while after this year though :D

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ahhh you're probably right, it is a bit of an odd duck. (...Mind you if I saw an older Italian gentleman wearing something similar on a tumblr I would probably **** on the screen.)

Coincidentally, last night on the tram home I saw a young man with a thrifted (I imagine) tweed hunting/shooting jacket on which MJ Bale based their version. The tweed I saw had patch pockets but only the breast pocket was bellows. It had the band across the back and also had a bellows from the band to the top. Looked great, though the dude should have taken the trouble to replace the buttons on the cuff that were missing.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Fabio, do you have lovely long locks? Are you the most beautiful man in the world?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep - its a P Johnson in a Dugdale worsted.
I would have to agree with that statement. For me, there is a price point at which it makes sense to spend that extra bit above what you'd be paying on RTW for the custom fit, cloth, style and options. The price also imposes a certain degree of discipline for me to better plan (and save for) my wardrobe purchases rather then make impulse purchases that I too often regret.
That said, I have not turned my back completely on RTW, but it has to tick the right boxes as far as fitting into my 'wardrobe plan' and at a price that is worth giving up the customisation options of MTM (eg the cotton khaki Herringbone suit I posted here).

I agree with the sentiment here, but to be fair, P Johnson isn't really just 'that extra bit' above the RTW options, is it? My understanding is that a P Johnson suit will set you back around $1500, and a suit from (say) Herringbone is probably $800-1000...

CHECKstar

Reaction score

I agree with the sentiment here, but to be fair, P Johnson isn't really just 'that extra bit' above the RTW options, is it? My understanding is that a P Johnson suit will set you back around $1500, and a suit from (say) Herringbone is probably $800-1000...

I suppose that an ‘extra bit’ is an subjective concept meaning different things to different people. For me, if I was going to commit to spending $1k on an OTR purchase, which let’s not forget, is a fair bit of cash, my mindset is that I might as well pay a third more and ‘do it right’ by getting something that I exactly want (both style, cloth and fit) and great advice from somebody who knows their stuff. But again, it is a personal thing.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone is routinely available for $600-700 on sale. I got two suits for $400 each in the middle of last year (retail $1200).

I would love some PJ, but I just can't justify that additional cost...

pasey25

Reaction score

i have a new suit just received from Iris tailor in Singapore that needs repressing. Not very impressed with how they packed it.
blahman - did you try elite?
any other melb recommendations. I'm working in abbotsford and keen to get this sorted tomorrow

made the trip down hoddle/punt to bancrofts on toorak road. they did it in 30 mins for $14.65. Were very receptive to my instructions on lapel roll etc, and I'm quite pleased at the result. When I picked it up he showed me first to make sure I was satisfied before bagging it up.

Dropped into Strickland & Sons while I waited. They have some interesting new tweed jackets that I might have been tempted by if I hadn't just scored a nice one while thrifting.

Also some nice italian made cotton drill pants with curtaining and rear split waistband, and sliding buckle adjustment. $199 which will hopefully join their 20% off sale at some point and be worthwhile. An older asian gent was being fitted with a nice grey MTM suit while i was there. the fit looked good. Not sure of the construction / cost though.

I suppose that an ‘extra bit’ is an subjective concept meaning different things to different people. For me, if I was going to commit to spending $1k on an OTR purchase, which let’s not forget, is a fair bit of cash, my mindset is that I might as well pay a third more and ‘do it right’ by getting something that I exactly want (both style, cloth and fit) and great advice from somebody who knows their stuff. But again, it is a personal thing.

thats an interesting point of view. remember though, that for many, to take the leap from $5-600 RTW trash to a $800-1000 Herringbone suit is a big deal already, so to add another 50% to the cost to get it to $1500 from P Johnson is just not really feasible.

Its all about where the real starting base is. Many people's aspiration is to own Herringbone.

like those starting at Herringbone aspiring to P Johnson

or those starting at P Johnson aspiring to Chan or the 'Row (i.e. true bespoke) etc....

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

made the trip down hoddle/punt to bancrofts on toorak road. they did it in 30 mins for $14.65. Were very receptive to my instructions on lapel roll etc, and I'm quite pleased at the result. When I picked it up he showed me first to make sure I was satisfied before bagging it up.
Dropped into Strickland & Sons while I waited. They have some interesting new tweed jackets that I might have been tempted by if I hadn't just scored a nice one while thrifting.
Also some nice italian made cotton drill pants with curtaining and rear split waistband, and sliding buckle adjustment. $199 which will hopefully join their 20% off sale at some point and be worthwhile. An older asian gent was being fitted with a nice grey MTM suit while i was there. the fit looked good. Not sure of the construction / cost though.
thats an interesting point of view. remember though, that for many, to take the leap from $5-600 RTW trash to a $800-1000 Herringbone suit is a big deal already, so to add another 50% to the cost to get it to $1500 from P Johnson is just not really feasible.
Its all about where the real starting base is. Many people's aspiration is to own Herringbone.
like those starting at Herringbone aspiring to P Johnson
or those starting at P Johnson aspiring to Chan or the 'Row (i.e. true bespoke) etc....

$5-600 isn't really trash if you know where to look...

Plestor

Reaction score
Purchase less is my answer, I seriously doubt that I spend more money on clothes than most of you and all my current purchases are Deer (PJ prices or maybe a shade cheaper).

I'd also suggest that the extra fittings on true bespoke only improve early work*, see PG's commments on pj// chan. Pj is also in the same price bracket as not prestige machine made bespoke anyway.

* Assumes equal skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sukurabu