• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I've been looking at new wallets lately, and noticed quite a few with a money clip inside.

Has anyone got one of these? It strikes me that they wont work very well with Australian currency, which doesn't tend to stay folded as well as US dollars or pound notes.

I also worry its a bit tacky, even an invitation to theft if you're carrying a lot of cash...

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a wallet similar to this one (but with card slots on both sides). It can be a bit tricky at times with Aussie notes as they tend to slide. If you get them in right the first time then you should be fine. If your taking cash out of the ATM at 3am and just stuff them in then you'll wake up to find notes sticking out everywhere.

Also you're right that you can't carry that much cash around either ...maybe about 10 to 12 notes before it starts looking a bit thick.

Gents,

I've been looking at new wallets lately, and noticed quite a few with a money clip inside.

Has anyone got one of these? It strikes me that they wont work very well with Australian currency, which doesn't tend to stay folded as well as US dollars or pound notes.

I also worry its a bit tacky, even an invitation to theft if you're carrying a lot of cash...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I just recently received my BB Cordovan wallet it has slots for six cards which makes it bulky but there is plenty of room for cash in two compartments. In this age of plastic I vary rarely carry cash, no more than $50 or maybe $100, (which by its self is ******* absurd if you ask me) if its a big night at the pub.

And while I have seen wallets with money clips the notion and idea of it doesn't impress me.

tone76

Reaction score

And while I have seen wallets with money clips the notion and idea of it doesn't impress me.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the notion of money clips just a tad vulgar. That said, I'm the kind of guy that insists his wallets have a coin compartment. Maybe that just makes me a commoner?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I used to have a wallet like the one linked. Chief advantage to me is that with no note compartment, the wallet can be very slim (I HATE bulky wallets; the slimmer the better).

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nowdays I just keep everything in a slim credit card case such as this. Super slim so it can fit in my nut hugger pants.:

I don't recommend Oxford though even if it's only $15, mine's falling apart already after 1 month.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ I used to have a wallet like the one linked. Chief advantage to me is that with no note compartment, the wallet can be very slim (I HATE bulky wallets; the slimmer the better).

Same here. Oroton has some slim bi-fold leather wallet they are quite slim. On outlet store could be as cheap as $34. Using one for last 2 years , still tidy.

Last edited:

Mirador

Reaction score
I know not everyone will like this comment.. But are a few of the guys at American Tailors absolute wankers?

Hhhhmmmm, I think I know why you might say this but personally, I think it's a mind-set. The guys in there are old-school, they've been there done that and couldn't care about customer service in the American sense. Their customer-base is built around a core of older men who don't seem to care about the passage of time - it's an Italian thing, visit Italy for 6 months and you'll get my gist. FWIW, they only stock shoes and the Bresciano socks as hook to get strangers into the store with the hope of building a relationship that leads to a suit purchase.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW, they only stock shoes and the Bresciano socks as hook to get strangers into the store with the hope of building a relationship that leads to a suit purchase.

I noticed 4 boxes of G&G's on the floor and he got all pissy when i asked if I could take a look.

Someone AT didn't get the memo.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MTM. I'll have to take some photos and post them, they've been sitting in their shoe bags recently with all this bloody rain.

Thanks please do same....

Really? I even put on fake tattoos, got a **** haircut and pushed around a single speed to fit in though? :(

Is this what the Yanks call racial profiling?

Last edited:

g-banger

Reaction score
I need to get something off my chest - I just sold some APC jeans to a member on-line who's based in New York, when to post off to post them and as im paying for them the lady goes that I need to pay a $9 Surcharge!

such a crock of sh!t - Australia is such a rip off for postage

i feel better now :)

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stereotypes can be a real time saver.

Believe it or not, that's exactly what stereotypes and generalisations in general are for. There is a vast amount of information for the brain to process and to make this easier, the brain groups things in general categories and ta-da we have sweeping generalisations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads