• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Plestor

Reaction score

Quote:

I walk past the Cloakroom in Sydney super regularly -- what are the prices like for Grenson? I've always been reluctant to head on inside -- I feel like they dick-ride virtually every online trend they can, and a little too late at that.

The Pistols at Dawn stuff looks okay, though.
Can't remember the exact prices they weren't horrible for australia tho, I think somewhere in the 3-400 range.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the exact prices they weren't horrible for australia tho, I think somewhere in the 3-400 range.

That's not all that bad -- still, I think Pediwear is the first place I would shop in terms of price.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where is it?
Anyone ventured down to the Fletcher Jones liquidation sale yet?

All stores. The liquidators have instructed all stores to liquidate stock at low prices. No one has bought the FJ name and network.

Haven't seen anything desirable at FJs for many years.
Such a pity. Used to have good sports coats.

g-banger

Reaction score
i was naughty the other day - i needed a new white shirt for my black dinner suit for a wedding coming up. I went into rhodes and beckett and walked out with two shirts.

purchased the oxford white shirt french cuff and Gingham Blue french cuff shirt.

Im pretty impressed with the fit and quality as compared to some of my herringbone shirts i own.

tone76

Reaction score

Im pretty impressed with the fit and quality as compared to some of my herringbone shirts i own.

I have to admit that my favourite RTW shirt in my rotation is a purple gingham number from Rhodes & Beckett. It fits very well for RTW, the quality is nice and the ladies really dig it. :slayer:

I wouldn't pay full price for an R&B shirt (they're nice, but not $170 worth of nice), but for closer to $100 when on sale (preferably on the lower side of $100), they're pretty good. Especially for someone like me that struggles to find well fitting RTW shirts.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know not everyone will like this comment.. But are a few of the guys at American Tailors absolute wankers?

MickyD

Reaction score
I assume you mean the one in Melbourne?

I bought a pair of C&J's in there about 6 months ago, I wouldn't exactly rate it as the most pleasant retail experience I've had.... Aloof doesn't even come close to describing it.

streetminimal

Reaction score
Just came back from NYC.

Two suits, one from J.Crew and one from Club Monaco - $1000 for both
Alterations: shortening of jacket sleeves, pants hemmed for no breaks, jacket waists taken in and tapering of pants - for both suits...$105

Can one achieve the same value here?

robbie miles

Reaction score
A few random thoughts

Sadly, as you have already discovered it is a wasteland when it comes to fine menswear in Australia. Visiting a mtm or bespoke tailor will only land you in more debt and disapointment. Your best bet is to wander into Harrolds in Melbourne and actually try everything on there. I have tried most options in Sydney and found myself frustrated and deluded. Try Raffaele Caruso, soft shoulder construction their cheaper of their RTW collection, then jump into Brioni, Kiton and Tom Ford. Don't look at the prices, take the garments to the dressing room and take photos of the tags in the inside jacket pocket of the garments that fit you best.

Then...

If there in anything remotely working for you, say thanks and jump on style forum and e-bay and look for that sports coat, blazer or suit in that size. You will often find garments NWT at a fraction of the cost. Let me give you an example. I tried a Tom Ford suit in Harrolds at list $7700.00. It was lovely and my exact size was 44 Regular. Only fools would be silly to pay list at Harrolds... Instead I found the exact suit, here in SF, NWT for $2800 (make an offer). I offered $2300! He accepted..

The suit was shipped and was exactly as described. Tom Ford is made in the Zegna factory and I have two mtm Zegna that are really well constructed so i knew I was getting something that will last for 3-4 years with gentle wear. A good cost per wear.

Ironically the best cost per wear item is still a bespoke navy blazer I did have made by a tailor in Sydney, named Victor Allacqua in Double Bay. The fabric is Holland and Sherry Cashmere wool and it is the best staple in my wardrobe, although it is heavily laden with the 1950's style shoulder pads, making it hard to wear with denim or casually with chinos and the like. Navy blazer teamed with incotex trousers in different shades of charcoal is the best ensemble for mating ties, pocket squares and of course brown shoes. If you are going bespoke try and find out who is making the garment for you. It is unlikely to be the charming guy seducing you in the store. Instead it is likely to be a dinosaur of an old European who may or may not be skilled in the art of jacket making. If he has a hunchback, speaks abominable English then you may actually be in luck.

On another note:

What I do find is that posture is paramount when it comes to finding garments that work. The minute you start to do more regular exercise that assists in creating a more universal posture the more likely you will get a ready to wear garment to work for you. This has been my experience, which has meant I have been able to venture into to RTW garments having taken up yoga 4 years ago.

As for Herringbone, you might find yourself better off admiring the skilful merchandising from outside the store and walking on by...

kickstart

Reaction score

Just came back from NYC.
Two suits, one from J.Crew and one from Club Monaco - $1000 for both
Alterations: shortening of jacket sleeves, pants hemmed for no breaks, jacket waists taken in and tapering of pants - for both suits...$105
Can one achieve the same value here?

Very interested to hear about your J.Crew suit.

Which one is it? If it is current season could you please post a link?

And the most pressing question of mine....is it fused or half canvassed?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for Herringbone, you might find yourself better off admiring the skilful merchandising from outside the store and walking on by...

Fair call, Robbie Miles, fair call. That is, until you visit the Herringbone Outlet in Surry Hills. Totally worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads