• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
Really- Last time i went i couldnt afford much in there. The wife will prib be gonig so i can have a look but just didnt think I could afford much in there.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Amazing blog quote:

I agree with this article too...coming from the UK I would buy a new pair of gbp50 shoes from Next almost every year....sweaty feet, plastic soles, occasionally fall apart. Throw them away and start again.

Then I bought some Goodyear welted Jones the Bootmaker shoes on sale reducd from gbp150 to 75....that was about 4 years ago or so...I'm wearing them now. They look almost new, they had a half sole replacement here in Aus and they are super comfy! So I am well up on those...I also have some Loakes wich are good quality but not as comfy, thinner leather sole that I have not yet replaced, 2 years old, look new. Lastly I have some Marks and Spencer Italian range leather soled that I took brand new to get a rubber half sole stuck on for wet weather. All of these shoes are great, comfortable and I have not needed to buy a pair in several years, they also did not cost the earth. Blame Australian prices and buy online at Pediwear (though sizing is massively important to teh whole experience).

I also have some RM Williams Veal Calf Brandy boots. they scuff stupidly easily, RM could not repair them, painted them badly, had them back to strip, basically gave up and said take them elsewhere and we'll pay for the repair! On a $500 pair of boots! Rubbish! They don't even carry the polish colour anymore and they are only 6 months old! Granted they are comfortable but as the most expensive pair of shoes I have ever bought I am totally disappointed it the value for money stakes. Worth $300 Max.

Notes: Safe leather soles with plstic toe taps, have a wet weather pair, use a decent polish regularly and use shoe trees.

But this is the best:

The shoes must be hand made and should be from Europe (Italy, France, UK, Switzerland, Germany).
The top of the range is no doubt Botenga and Bontoni and beewax based shoe polish must be used.

My partner Phyllida Jenkins said the true connoisseur man must satisfy four conditions -

1. Have top of the range shoes
2. Proper provider
3. Execute conjugal duties with style and skills
4. Good manners

Commenter Mario de Napoli
mor

Hands up who passes the test 1, thru 4.?

Improving the (Bon)toni in the office.

Last edited:

suttonzach

Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Luke - as a long-time boat shoe wearer I'd recommend looking into a pair of Quoddy shoes with a vibram sole. http://www.jcrew.com.au/mens_category/JCrewingoodcompany/Quoddy/PRDOVR~94330/94330.jspI have quite a few Sperrys and these beat them hands down in terms of comfort - they are 3x the price though (though you should be able to pick up a pair during US sales or on ebay for $150 or so).

I scored a pair of these made for Brooks in (would you believe?) shell cordovan. Totally agree with you.

suttonzach

Reaction score
Quote:
There's quite a few nice pairs of shoes on sale at BB at the moment - just shame the discounts aren't as deep for these as for the clothing. Luke - I'd even look into a basic pair of Vans or Converse Jack Purcells for weekends; these will be a little less sporty than your NBs but less formal than a pair of leather loafers or derbys.

Last edited:

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Hi gang,

So I've started a new gig, and I'm on campus now.

So no more suit+tie get up, and now more business casual/smart casual look. But without the full tweed + bowtie (I'm not a Professor!).

I've been hunting for some good cardigans to break up the whole smart trousers/chinos + shirt/jumper kinda look. Johnstons of Elgin have a few options, but I don't like elbow patches. I've pretty much stuck exclusively to Uniqlo's Merino v-neck jumpers for my knitwear needs. But I'm looking for something nicer than Uniqlo for my cardigans. Horn buttons would be nice.

iSurg I think went through Woolovers. That might be an option for me?

lukejackson

Reaction score
Luke - as a long-time boat shoe wearer I'd recommend looking into a pair of Quoddy shoes with a vibram sole. http://www.jcrew.com.au/mens_category/JCrewingoodcompany/Quoddy/PRDOVR~94330/94330.jspI have quite a few Sperrys and these beat them hands down in terms of comfort - they are 3x the price though (though you should be able to pick up a pair during US sales or on ebay for $150 or so).

Thanks! Didn't think of that. I was actually watching a pair of Quoddy loafers on Mr.Porter during the sale, but no sizes left for me unfortunately. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im heading to New York and Washington for a couple of weeks. Planning on hitting the shops a little. Any suggestions- Im not a baller so wont be going to Barneys or the like but have scheudled a stop of at Epaluet to try on a few different lasts of Carmina's.

Any other suggestions? Im spending most of my time in Washnigton unfortunately (i like NYC much better)

Spend a day at the Woodbury outlets off NY.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it be a fools errand to even think about taking in a pair of 34 pants to size 31? Was cleaning out the wardrobe and happened upon a former favourite suit, the jacket needs a lil supression but apart from that fine, the pants though....

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amazing blog quote:
But this is the best:

My partner Phyllida Jenkins said the true connoisseur man must satisfy four conditions -

1. Have top of the range shoes
2. Proper provider
3. Execute conjugal duties with style and skills
4. Good manners

Hands up who passes the test 1, thru 4.?

Number 4 prevents me from commenting on number 3. :)

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

So I've started a new gig, and I'm on campus now.

So no more suit+tie get up, and now more business casual/smart casual look. But without the full tweed + bowtie (I'm not a Professor!).

I've been hunting for some good cardigans to break up the whole smart trousers/chinos + shirt/jumper kinda look. Johnstons of Elgin have a few options, but I don't like elbow patches. I've pretty much stuck exclusively to Uniqlo's Merino v-neck jumpers for my knitwear needs. But I'm looking for something nicer than Uniqlo for my cardigans. Horn buttons would be nice.

iSurg I think went through Woolovers. That might be an option for me?
Why not???

El QUaG

Reaction score

Also a guy named Mikhail in Sydney (though he may not be doing this thing anymore, haven't spoken to him in 8-10 months).

Mikhail is still doing his thing on the side. I got some jeans hemmed a few weeks back for a decent fee. Did a fantastic job too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads