• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about home ownership. Should I invest in real estate or is the bubble going to burst?
Are people going to stop wanting to live in Sydney?

Does the government have a plan to clear vasts amounts of 1800 terraces and put in apartment blocks?

Then the bubble is not going to burst. People think that there was a housing bubble because of credit....blah blah blah......I don't see many empty houses in the Inner-West.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only on one condition though Sy, don't spend all your time fluffing through Rob's jock drawer! Even if you wear them on the outside of your Taracosh strides you won't be a superhero....
crackup[1].gif

I've got no comeback for that one. Well played.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only on one condition though Sy, don't spend all your time fluffing through Rob's jock drawer! Even if you wear them on the outside of your Taracosh strides you won't be a superhero....

I don't even want to think what "fluffing" could be a metaphor for in this situation...

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear but I know a few other members (LonerMatt I think?) have had a lot of problems of late with no confirmation of shipping and emails, PM's etc un-answered for weeks. I've also not had any problems in the past and knowing the reputation Jamison has, I'm sure the delays and issues will be short lived but still, bad service is bad service regardless of the product.

To be fair, the problem lies with USPS and not Jamison, and I was clearly the exception.

That said, it seemed that he took awhile (3,4 5 days) to respond to emails. While I'm sure part of that was that my issues weren't pressing (hell, USPS might get it's **** in gear and deliver tomorrow), the communication was slow.

Overwhelmingly, though, he does things right. I would order from him again (he refunded me completely and simply trusted me that if the package arrived I'd contact him, which I respect), and presumably things would be better.

Quote:
The most deliberately ignorant statement I've read in awhile. Could quote statements like this from oh so many people who claimed prices have reached a new high. Nothing is forever and no one can predict the future.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah like the Portofino's and the Portuguese are beautiful too. But I like owning a house even more, so it'll be a while before I ever fork out for one.

+1. Except replace 'owning a house' with 'saving money for stuff that matters'.

Watches are one of those things I really do not understand (like all jewlery) - I can see the beauty, but I can not see th value.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score

crackup%5B1%5D.gif

I've got no comeback for that one. Well played.

No come back?! That has to be a first haha... Now here's my proposal... On the subject of Mr Porter I challenge you to create your most appalling ensemble together to achieve a placement on the Mr Porter comp site. Its a pity your Canuck skivvies havent arrived you could have channeled a homage to David Schwimmer, to top it off l will even vote for you my good man

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. IWC
2. Stowa
3. NOMO
4. - 73. Anything other than that thing Petepan

Save the $ and do it right the first time.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save the money petepan, and buy the IWC. Seriously when the economy goes to ****, and you lose your job, and your friends are broke and your wife might even leave you (god forbid i hope this doesn't happen) and take half of what you own. If you buy the watch she won't have the chance to take anything away.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who suggests that house prices might not go up forever at a faster rate than average incomes is UNAUSTRALIAN

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
1. IWC
2. Stowa
3. NOMO
4. - 73. Anything other than that thing Petepan

Save the $ and do it right the first time.

Out of interest - why are you rating Stowa above Nomos? I was trying to do a comparison for a dress watch and ended up favouring the Nomos, even though it's nearly 2x the price

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the replies people.

Looks like I have bad taste in watches.
shog[1].gif

Honestly, one reason why I considered that was because there was no brand name on it plus it is below $1k. Just personally for me, I hate the "look at Moi, look at Moi" feel of big MFking brand names (horses comes to mind, a lot), and somehow, being a bastard that I am, I somehow feel that I should be the one paid for parading the brand around. One of the Seiko's (cannot remember model number) with blue hands would be nice IF they removed Seiko from it.

I currently wear a Mont Blanc chronograph (nothing fancy, still goes on the Valjoux movement, not the fancy dandy Minerva), and the brand name is small-ass.

Nabil, I hate the studs too, but figured I can always change that. But you are from ACS, so I really should not be talking to you.
fight[1].gif

I am a shares man myself, not so much into property, although I do own property. Any other shares man here?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Out of interest - why are you rating Stowa above Nomos? I was trying to do a comparison for a dress watch and ended up favouring the Nomos, even though it's nearly 2x the price

Because i'm a reselling conscious hack.. Part of the grey market appeal of the Stowa.

Nomos cost more because their movement is in-house, the dial and case are a higher quality finish and their standard strap is cordovan. The added cost is mostly down to the movement though.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow! Thanks for the replies people. Looks like I have bad taste in watches.
shog%5B1%5D.gif
Honestly, one reason why I considered that was because there was no brand name on it plus it is below $1k. Just personally for me, I hate the "look at Moi, look at Moi" feel of big MFking brand names (horses comes to mind, a lot), and somehow, being a bastard that I am, I somehow feel that I should be the one paid for parading the brand around. One of the Seiko's (cannot remember model number) with blue hands would be nice IF they removed Seiko from it. I currently wear a Mont Blanc chronograph (nothing fancy, still goes on the Valjoux movement, not the fancy dandy Minerva), and the brand name is small-ass. Nabil, I hate the studs too, but figured I can always change that. But you are from ACS, so I really should not be talking to you.
fight%5B1%5D.gif
I am a shares man myself, not so much into property, although I do own property. Any other shares man here?
Petepan, There's nothing wrong with the design of the watch - it looks like a classic pilot's watch - except for the "we've been tricky and put the minutes on the outside of the dial" tomfoolery. Were it not for that, I'd think it a nice watch. As it is, however, it's a gimmick. If you're looking for a "brand-free" watch in that style, look for a Stowa "Fleiger" or an Archimede B-Uhren. The Stowa retails for 580 Euro if you're purchasing outside the EU, which is about $750, and the company has a long and genuine history of making pilot's watches. Furthermore, you can get them without a brand on the dial. Edit: I just looked at the Stowa site and saw that they, too, have an "observer" model fleiger watch with the minutes around the outside, so I suppose that style could have historical precedent. Anyway, the Stowa is a great watch at a great price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members