• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plestor

Reaction score
All I can say vis a vis long term watch value is that many many dress watches from respected houses are at ~scrap values these days... Make of that what you will.

As for housing costs, while I would predict a decline at this point in time, I'd be very sceptical about significant growth. I'd also point out that much of the returns you see from home ownership has more to do with the very high leverage in domestic real estate vs other easily available asset classes.

On rises, I prefer something just below or on my natural waist for anything that I will consistently wear with some form of jacket (for both comfort and aesthetics reasons). I would however advise that while this isn't always very noticeable its well outside the norm for Australian work places.

On odd trousers;

Anything I expect to last I like to get made up, the cloth access and the fit is absolutely worth it.

Another thing I would stress is that deviating from a mid grey in odd trousers is like going from from Navy / Mid Grey (or any darker form of grey) Suits...

Its worth thinking about being able to empty the insides of your cuffs if you're more likely to end up off road (read walking on grass) with your odd trousers. Dirt builds up pretty quickly there :uhoh:.

Close game of cricket this.

Last edited:

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nabil, I hate the studs too, but figured I can always change that. But you are from ACS, so I really should not be talking to you.
fight[1].gif

Touche, sir. Are you an RI old boy like Gary?
nest.gif

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a "brand-free" watch in that style, look for a Stowa "Fleiger" or an Archimede B-Uhren. The Stowa retails for 580 Euro if you're purchasing outside the EU, which is about $750, and the company has a long and genuine history of making pilot's watches. Furthermore, you can get them without a brand on the dial.
OMG, thanks heaps man. The Archimede B-Uhren either in black PVD or pure titanium look fantastic. Though 42mm might be pushing it. Now if I am being more picky, no numbers will be great, plus I will change to studless straps.

Thanks again.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Touche, sir. Are you an RI old boy like Gary?
nest.gif
Hehe, yup. And I am OLD SCHOOL RI back when they were in the city.

Still, ACS chaps got most of the chicks back in my days (plus generally dress better). As part of a group of Malaysians, we tried to up the standards, but it was always an uphill battle. Looking back at their social skills, it did not take a genius to figure out why.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for housing costs, while I would predict a decline at this point in time, I'd be very sceptical about significant growth. I'd also point out that much of the returns you see from home ownership has more to do with the very high leverage in domestic real estate vs other easily available asset classes.
Don't think it is a good idea to open that can of worms here. There is already too much media coverage of Joye versus Keen argument, now more than 4 years old.

Plestor

Reaction score

Don't think it is a good idea to open that can of worms here. There is already too much media coverage of Joye versus Keen argument, now more than 4 years old.

I've got my popcorn out... Seriously though this would be a very *LONGTERM* comment and I certainly would NOT take a position based upon it. I'm also not suggesting an unsustainable bubble as Keen suggested (IIRC).

I don't think I need to say it but nothing I write here should be taken as investment advice...

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hehe, yup. And I am OLD SCHOOL RI back when they were in the city.

Still, ACS chaps got most of the chicks back in my days (plus generally dress better). As part of a group of Malaysians, we tried to up the standards, but it was always an uphill battle. Looking back at their social skills, it did not take a genius to figure out why.

That was many years ago, I reckon.

But the second half still remains true
stirpot.gif

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was many years ago, I reckon.

But the second half still remains true
stirpot.gif
The old RI moved in 1988 I think, so you can work the sums.

Ah yes, but we picked the best of the best at that time- the fair maidens from SCGS and CHIJ.
cool.gif

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good times... Good times.

I was Coleman St AC, and then, of course, Barker Road. Don't think the former still exists.

As for the chickies: CHIJ, RJ, VJ, AC... Heck, I wasn't fussed. I was all for equal opportunity! Settled down with a Malaysian girl in the end.

Feeling quite pleasantly nostalgic at present.

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good times... Good times.

I was Coleman St AC, and then, of course, Barker Road. Don't think the former still exists.

As for the chickies: CHIJ, RJ, VJ, AC... Heck, I wasn't fussed.

Feeling quite pleasantly nostalgic at present.
Now that you mentioned it, I use to know some VJ ladies, absolutely stunning in tight fitting uniforms. Did not get very far with them, of course, sigh....

flexiflex

Reaction score
Last time when I picked up my suits from the tailor I saw there were a pile of ties hanging. the tailor told me that he has been doing lots of tie lately, slimming the width and length to give them a more modern look. all by hand of course.

I didn't even think of such service existed... have people tailored their tie before? what are your thoughts on this?

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that you mentioned it, I use to know some VJ ladies, absolutely stunning in tight fitting uniforms. Did not get very far with them, of course, sigh....

Almost ended up with a VJ girl. Lawyer chick. Smart. Pretty. Great chemistry, but alas, I don't think she'd consider life in Oz.

Better stop with the reminiscing before I start belting out 'Memories' and send the neighborhood mutts scrambling for cover. :D

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VAG girls :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance