• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vaguely recall someone was looking for a pair of reading glasses similar to these?

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any suggestions of a good quality half calf, half suede shoe?

I'm found the the Loake Sloane (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/3081.php), but looking for a better quality shoe than Loake.

I suspect that the Loake would be perfectly fine, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it's from the 1880 line and the quality is, in my experience, actually quite reasonable.
Secondly, the part of the vamp that gets the most wear is made from suede and, given that suede doesn't crease as visibly as calf leather, the quality of the leather used isn't as important as it might otherwise be.

If you have a look around, you might be able to find some other makers. I have a pair of very similar shoes that were made by Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers - there are a couple of photos here and here. However, they're not part of BB's current line up and I don't know if AS is offering them under their own name at present, either.

A quick internet search reveals that Barker Black (a separate firm from Barker, I believe) makes a similar model, which no doubt costs a bundle - see here.

Also, Skoaktiebolaget's (a shoe store in Sweden) website shows that they expect a Carmina spectator to arrive in March, but they have no further details.

jmills

Reaction score
However, they're not part of BB's current line up and I don't know if AS is offering them under their own name at present, either.

Even if they are, it appears that AS has forced its vendors not to sell to customers who aren't in EU countries.
angry.gif

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a Melbourne catch up this Friday?

Potentially - I've been caught up with a zillion things and no net access (which i didn't anticipate). I have something at 6pm, so I might only be around at the start (if we met at 5pm, for example) or later (if you guys met at 7).

It was suggested that some drinks on Spring Street might work, and I certainly think that'd be easily done.

What do you guys think?

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, are we still meeting for drinks this Friday? If so, what time are we meeting and where?

Supper club at 5pm (is it open then?)?

I am WAY out of the loop with places to go, though!

jobro

Reaction score

Saw 'Gangster Squad' yesterday, and was loving the suits/ general fashion. The gangsters, cops and everyone in between were superbly dressed (1940's). The hats/ style stood out and especially appealed to me: the 'fedora' or 'borsalino' ...couldn't get away with these nowadays, might try to bring 'em back
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
....movie was enjoyable. Storyline nothing special, but lots of great actors who were pretty good, good popcorn flick, made 10x better with the wardrobe (man, I have changed)
I agree the story line wasn't anything special. Basically cops being told they don't need to abide by the law to take down Cohen, it was also nothing like the real life events so they should have changed some characters names. Ryan Gosling opposite Sean Penn in an action movie isn't a great casting. It indeed made for a 'good popcorn flick' and Gosling made it a bit more "girl friendly".

Last edited:

Nicholas D C

Reaction score
Anyone here tried out the SuitSupply 'Suit Up' line of suits? I'm tempted to try 'em out for my next major purchase in a few months, but wanted to get others' opinions on their recent output and quality.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I vaguely recall someone was looking for a pair of reading glasses similar to these?

Me .. What are these?

Anyone here tried out the SuitSupply 'Suit Up' line of suits? I'm tempted to try 'em out for my next major purchase in a few months, but wanted to get others' opinions on their recent output and quality.

Cant hurt to try with free shipping.

But if you wait a few weeks ill be able to reveal a new, better quality mtm suit at similar price point... None of this measure yourself crap either :)

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me .. What are these?
Cant hurt to try with free shipping.

But if you wait a few weeks ill be able to reveal a new, better quality mtm suit at similar price point... None of this measure yourself crap either :)

What price range ?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ryan is hell hot. I would do him if I'm not straight. same goes with the other Ryan of Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads