• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pinky! I've been wondering where you got to?

Today's fit....
Suit: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Cottonwork pale blue un-lined collar
Tie: Henry Carter printed silk un-tipped 7 fold
Shoes: Herring reading
PS: None!

You love your Herringbone suits and why wouldn't you looks like they fit / suit you to a tee!

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry for the four letter words, I was in a hurry lol.

I have seen them in person, and yes they are waxed to a shine, but I certainly believe they are veg tanned and they aren't corrected grain if that's what you were thinking. Vince Maloney carry their bags if you want to have a look. They are a member of the http://www.pellealvegetale.it/ consortium for traditional Italian leather. While the site says they are full grain, they are not the thickest leather, definitely not bridle. I contacted them for more images of a particular model and they sent me some. I would have purchased it if I didn't have other priorities atm. While some models appear better quality than others, I wouldn't be too concerned about the low price as I've had relatives pick up ladies wallets for not much money in Florence with leather and construction that easily rivalled (or exceeded) bags like Prada.

If you want a bespoke bag you could contact Tanner Bates.

Let me know how you go, I'm definitely after something similar to you.
thanks for the info helpful!

All this talk of nice bags is making me fee inadequate. I only have a 50 metre walk from the car to my office and a laptop to lug in, so I must confess to using a crappy, work provided case logic laptop bag instead of something nice. One day.
Thats 50 metres of shame every day ... step it up

I can highly recommend the light blue Thomas Mason twill bologna stripe which seems to be a bit of a P Johnson house style for shirts.

See here for photographs -

http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...6244/ethandesu-hard-at-work-the-hand-finished

http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...dsheet-has-a-interesting-article-on-tom-riley

I got one in my first batch of commissions and it is very vertasile (works well for business and casual). It is definitely the shirt I wear most and find easiest to match. The stripe is thin enough so it can appear almost solid blue but is quite interesting close up. I think you will like it. Saying that Tom and Matt will take you through the options and give some good recommendations.

I am sure quite a few things will catch your eye...
I agree - the TM blue stripe is great ... i need a replacement as it was my most worn shirt and the cuffs are fraying from being over worn!

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will have to keep them in mind for restocking for this years cooler weather.

My suiting up till now has been based off a cpl of classic navy/grey style suits I had made a cpl of years back but have dropped too many sizes to have them tailored now which is good but bad in the sense that its a waste of clothes that I no longer can use...oh well a great opportunity for out with the old in with the new :)

burnso

Reaction score
Two latest additions Im very happy with:
- Herring Chaucer II (black calf, wholecut, made in Spain by ???)
- Herring Campden (brown suede chukka, made in England by Loake, 026 last)

I am so impressed with the quality of these both. I still cant get over how perfect the chukkas are for me
drool.gif

Group photos to show colours and toe comparisons:

L-R: Loake Aldwych, Herring Chaucer II, Loake Powers, Herring Baldwin, Herring Campden, Wolverine 1000mi

Must stop buying shoes, however I still shortly want a pair of dark brown or burgundy chelsea ish style (sleek) boots [edit: and might have to save and settle for Alden #8 cap toe boots]

Going to Europe in late March, feel my whole trip might be window shopping the best mens clothing stores. *broke*

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must stop buying shoes, however I still shortly want a pair of dark brown or burgundy chelsea ish style (sleek) boots [edit: and might have to save and settle for Alden #8 cap toe boots]

Have never been a fun of Chukkas but they look good, nice purchase :)

Have you come across a pair of burgandy boots you like? Big fan of the colour myself and boots but so far AE Shell Cordovan daltons have been the front runner for my burgandy boots of choice.

lennier

Reaction score

So, are we still meeting for drinks this Friday? If so, what time are we meeting and where?

I can't make it unfortunately, have people coming for dinner and no idea what I'm cooking as yet. Plus have to take home a bunch of MJ Bale stuff from alteration so will be getting picked up from town too early for drinks. Enjoy if it's on!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday's outfit:

Details:

- Blue cotton herringbone-weave jacket by Herringbone Sydney;
- Blue-and-white university stripe OCBD by Land's End;
- Silk knit tie by Ascot;
- Silk and cotton pocket square by Herringbone Sydney;
- Old MTO trousers in a brown check; and
- Santoni punch captoe shoes.

burnso

Reaction score
Have never been a fun of Chukkas but they look good, nice purchase :)

Have you come across a pair of burgandy boots you like? Big fan of the colour myself and boots but so far AE Shell Cordovan daltons have been the front runner for my burgandy boots of choice.

Not in person. I do like the Alden cap toes, but ideally prefer a sleeker toe. Those AE Shell Daltons are beautiful, and would be up there with the Aldens. Maybe not plain enough for me though atm.

I have my eyes on some Herring chelsea boots (which are the same sleek last and toe of the Baldwins above), but I really want a pair of burgundy shoes.

So burgundy boots are the mission now I reckon, wouldn't mind something Italian or Spanish...

g-banger

Reaction score

Two latest additions Im very happy with: - Herring Chaucer II (black calf, wholecut, made in Spain by ???) - Herring Campden (brown suede chukka, made in England by Loake, 026 last) I am so impressed with the quality of these both. I still cant get over how perfect the chukkas are for me
drool.gif
Group photos to show colours and toe comparisons: L-R: Loake Aldwych, Herring Chaucer II, Loake Powers, Herring Baldwin, Herring Campden, Wolverine 1000mi Must stop buying shoes, however I still shortly want a pair of dark brown or burgundy chelsea ish style (sleek) boots [edit: and might have to save and settle for Alden #8 cap toe boots] Going to Europe in late March, feel my whole trip might be window shopping the best mens clothing stores. *broke*
Congratulations on the new herring chukkas, i have a pair of these and they are my favourite casual shoe that i own. My only gripe with them is that they wear a tad larger than my other 026 last Herring shoes (Herring Knightsbridge), did you order the exact same size as your loake Aldwych? p.s buy a good quality suede protector, you will want to wear these all the time. ta :)

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I cant wait to get a pair of christian's new chukka's ... soon hopefully

burnso

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new herring chukkas, i have a pair of these and they are my favourite casual shoe that i own. My only gripe with them is that they wear a tad larger than my other 026 last Herring shoes (Herring Knightsbridge), did you order the exact same size as your loake Aldwych?

p.s buy a good quality suede protector, you will want to wear these all the time.

ta
smile.gif
Thanks. Im sure Ill be dragging them out every time its not raining (Melbourne) ;)

I've found the same sizing for all Loake/ Herring/ Cheaney and between the 026 last and the (1880's) capital last. I do think however that these are a tad looser, but just put that down to them being boots and slight slippage is ideal?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Im sure Ill be dragging them out every time its not raining (Melbourne) ;)

I've found the same sizing for all Loake/ Herring/ Cheaney and between the 026 last and the (1880's) capital last. I do think however that these are a tad looser, but just put that down to them being boots and slight slippage is ideal?

Suede seems to 'give' the most of any leather. Expect them to get looser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads