• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SuitSupply custom made cashmere blazer ordered via their new size passport system. 3 roll 2.5, brass buttons, soft shoulder etc. Measured in store once and all my measurements are now stored online. Quite happy with the results, but I’ll take up the sleeves a tad more next round, maybe half a cm…
611BC7CF-ADCF-476E-A9F4-9F8BB0420ABA.jpeg

chatelet

Reaction score
SuitSupply custom made cashmere blazer ordered via their new size passport system. 3 roll 2.5, brass buttons, soft shoulder etc. Measured in store once and all my measurements are now stored online. Quite happy with the results, but I’ll take up the sleeves a tad more next round, maybe half a cm…
View attachment 1813762
Looks great. Do you need an appointment to be measured in store? And what is the turnaround time to make a piece? Thanks!

Markodevil

Reaction score
Victorians, where do you guys get your shirts made?
Been looking around Melbourne but most of the tailor's house styles have been in a very spread / cutaway style, was wondering if there were any around that did a good pointed collar

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been looking around Melbourne but most of the tailor's house styles have been in a very spread / cutaway style, was wondering if there were any around that did a good pointed collar
Since Hemden closed, haven’t really had shirts made locally. Try Charles Edward, Crossley St, but I hear he might be closed. Might be worth a call. Pretty Sure Henry Bucks will run you up just about anything you want.

sensuki

Reaction score

I haven't used any of the former places but I've had a nice shirt from Vanacore Napoli via Steve Calder (although I don't think he takes new clients for tailoring) and more recently I've tried The Finery Company via trunk show and they do a nice pointed collar, quite long by default with floating construction rather than fused.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great. Do you need an appointment to be measured in store? And what is the turnaround time to make a piece? Thanks!
No need for an appointment, but it’s better to have one or you might end up waiting a bit. Turnaround time is about 3 weeks or so.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't used any of the former places but I've had a nice shirt from Vanacore Napoli via Steve Calder (although I don't think he takes new clients for tailoring) and more recently I've tried The Finery Company via trunk show and they do a nice pointed collar, quite long by default with floating construction rather than fused.

Steve doesn't do tailoring at all anymore I don't think, just his RTW label. I got a couple of Vanacores, although their house fabrics did not hold up at all well under use.

I believe that American Tailors do MTM with one of the Italian makers (Emmanuele Maffeis maybe?), and Modern Classic Shop also has an MTM program. I'm sure Buck's do as well, although I find most of their salespeople intolerable.

Coming back to the question re shoes in Melbourne, Evans leather in Royal Arcade also do resoling, I believe. In general, their work is excellent but expensive.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since suits are less of a thing in the workplace these days (and also since I've managed to gain sufficient weight that only a couple of mine fit me), I have been wearing predominately jeans or slim-ish garment-dyed chinos from Modern Classic Shop (which are made by Lubiam/LBM 1911).

Usually, I wear dressy sneakers from C.QP (also via Modern Classic), which are similar to Common Projects, in suede or white leather.

I don't like the look of a plain trouser hem with sneakers, but I feel like having a cuff stitched in would risk being a bit too try-hard or #menswear. So, I have just been rolling them a couple of times at a little wider than an inch, to create a sort of de-facto cuff. I'm not sure that this is actually better though, particularly as it shows the overlocking on the long seams.

Does anyone here hem their chinos, particularly slimmer ones? In general, I am also interested to know how folks are dressing for business in the brave new world...

Last edited:

sensuki

Reaction score
I don't wear slim chinos but I have a pair of the Informale ones, I just flip the 4cm plain finish hem up once with my sneakers (I still had them shortened but kept the same style of hem). I have some Chad Prom pleated ones with a 5cm cuff, and they look fine with sneakers (particularly mid tops), but better with boots/shoes.

spreadsheet

Reaction score
View attachment 1813762
Looks sharp. Do you recall who took your measurements at the store?

sensuki

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a cobbler in Perth? Need a full resole on some AEs.

A member from Perth posted this question 1-2 years ago, I think you might need to mail to someone like Kieran the Cobbler in Sydney, or Jon Head in Adelaide - worth it though!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrimFandango