• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Shoemog

Reaction score
That's really interesting about the sole /heal. Did you send it back?

As you intimate it's not exactly cheap and they go on about how well he repair. The original last does help in folding the leather over it's shape completely giving it a chance to be repaired.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
That's really interesting about the sole /heal. Did you send it back?

As you intimate it's not exactly cheap and they go on about how well he repair. The original last does help in folding the leather over it's shape completely giving it a chance to be repaired.
Probably should have done. I carried on wearing them and since replaced them

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Well this is defo NOT what it'd says in the video - see exhibit A <>

I don't really see a contradiction. I think they likely did this with both refurbs I have paid for. A shoe that wears well such as comfort, patina and creases like my brogues were most definitely worth the expense of a rebuild for a new sole and heel.

The suede chukkas I mentioned had holes worn through the lining in the heels. They were quite beaten up. Cheaney patched them up for me in addition to the steps outlined here so good as far as I'm concerned. Not a terrible job but I had a slight niggle where I felt I could have returned them but instead chose to wear them out.

In general, I would suggest that if the linings and actual suede look worn out, a rebuild costing 60% of what I bought the boots for is not really worth it for me. I eventually replaced them with an identical pair.

I have quite a large collection of Cheaney shoes. I also have a few Barker, Loake and Sanders that I like but it's always Cheaney that I go back to. I buy from retailers occasionally when I wanted something from the advertised range but I really enjoy visiting the factory shop - around 3 times a year. Barry, the factory shop manager is a genius. He often has short runs made as factory shop exclusives as well as the samples, end of runs and seconds he sells. My wife helps me choose them and sometimes gets a pair herself too although their range for women isn't as large.

I would definitely not rule out getting a cherished pair refurbished again.

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
I have a pair of Bodileys Westminster Balmoral boots made by Cheaney. They are on the 11028 Last and have a very wide shaft. Does anyone have any advice (apart from just wearing thicker socks) about anything that can be done to reduce the circumference of the shaft?

WESTMINSTER20DK20BROWN20SS-scaled.jpg

Shoemog

Reaction score
I have a pair of Bodileys Westminster Balmoral boots made by Cheaney. They are on the 11028 Last and have a very wide shaft. Does anyone have any advice (apart from just wearing thicker socks) about anything that can be done to reduce the circumference of the shaft?

View attachment 2163819
How do you mean by the shaft? Where your ankles are? Also are they new?
I mean look at it - it's one piece there or one piece around the vamp and heal. Unless you try to shrink the leather through water (NOT recommended at all) ...then that's to do with sizing for that particular last.

Shoe might get more snug over time
Yes wear thicker socks
Try putting insoles to see if that helps (like a leather one full sole length that sits on the 'floor')

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only pair of Cheaneys, the Pennine II C, worn last week.
20240405_081826.jpg
20240405_081852.jpg

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2163819
I have these shoes and a similar issue. I've just been wearing thicker socks. I'm okay with it because they are boots, and the socks rarely show.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads