• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Buckshot brogues.
lgPfgHBgRhOVIo468uin3g.jpg

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Cheaney's winter "curated sale" has arrived. Curated for "no sizes available" that is. Seems mostly a sale of leftover models in unusual sizes being cleared out
There's a shoe I'd buy at the stated price of $385, but once a size is selected, the price jumps to $450. Bait and switch!

Moostyle

Reaction score

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Hi all. Anyone got any insight into how C&J Islay 365 last Islay Dark Brown Scotch Grain | Crockett & Jones – Crockett & Jones EU (crockettandjones.com) fits vs the Cheaney Tamar 12508 last? Cheaney Tamar R Men's Dark Leaf Chelsea Boot

I wear a UK9.5 in Islay (it's a generous last and I am a UK10 in the C&J Harlech) and am wondering if it would be the same in the Cheaney Tamar or if I'd need to size up to a UK10. :)
Cant speak of sizing as its a very individual/personal thing. But one thing i can confidently say from experience is that the Cheaney 12508 has a much tighter and restrictive in-step compared to the CJ 365

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
Cant speak of sizing as its a very individual/personal thing. But one thing i can confidently say from experience is that the Cheaney 12508 has a much tighter and restrictive in-step compared to the CJ 365
I ve tried both of them in 6.5UK width E 3-5y ago: the 365 has a wider more asymmetrical toe box almost like Aldens trubalance last and also a sculpted heel. Now the instep I felt was lower than the 12508. The toe box of the 12508 is less asymmetrical which I feel is less anatomical/physiological.

Now my foot is sleek but wide with slightly lower instep and borrow heel.

Irrelevant for this comparison but While I do own Cheaney boots in 12508 those are shearling lined and a much wider though still width F at size 7UK. the instep on these thanks to the shearling lining is tight. Chromexcel btw.

Attachments

• IMG_6740.jpeg
    IMG_6740.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 762
Last edited:

rakuskus

Reaction score
Me again with a possible solution to what is going on with my boots as shown above. I now think that what I'm seeing above is not due to the Cordovan renovateur that I misapplied to my boots a single time. Instead, I think it's that I over applied the regular renovateur that I have in house now. I really brushed my boots like hard based on the recommendations here and the appearance got much better. I felt pretty happy for a good number of days and while off work today, I decided to try the regular renovateur again. After applying and letting it sit for 20 mins or so I brushed it off and everything looked good. Then a few hours later I look at them and the white appearance is back.

I'm pretty sure that I'm over applying the renovateur and this is causing a large wax build up. The renovateur is quite thin and it's very easy to apply a lot. I spread it out all over the boot and it looks like I'm applying the right amount, but this white appearance after drying must mean that there's too much.

I wish there was a cream polish I could use instead of renovateur, but Cheaney recommends renovateur over any cream polish due to the whisky color.

Anyway, I'm happy to know I did not ruin my boot with that Cordovan renovateur.
Hi, I'm actually curious on how things turn up now

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
I've actually just bought a pair of Cheaney Pennine IIR boots. I'm going to return them because they are a tad too small, but overall I think the quality is excellent. The stitching and the finishing is superb, they are nicely burnished, and the Itshide sole unit is good. I'm no expert on leather quality, but it looks and feels excellent.

Price range is a dodgy call: in 2007 a C&J Coniston boot was £285, now it's £350. The Cheaney boot is £270. They are placing their shoes below C&J and stealing a march on Grenson and Alfred Sargent. There's no point pitching against the big boys. Below that, of course, you have Loake, Barker (who make some nice shoes), etc.

I've owned the Coniston and I'd say that it is a slightly better quality boot, though not by much in fact. Photo finish. If you want a dress boot look at C&J, a robust boot look at Cheaney. The boot is miles better than AS's Culford, which I've also owned.

The Cheaney boot is a bit like an old fashioned British ammo boot. It's a bastard to put on and is a very close fit (it would probably be better with ski hooks), but still.

There's genuine pride at Cheaney - the website is not just bullshit marketing spin. I believe this comes through in the product which feels fresh and lively, and there's real attention to detail. When you've handled lots of shoes you can pick it up at once.

Couldnt agree more with the opinion above.
Cheaney has had a price hike this week on their range. On the whole, their pricing is trying to enter the C&J bandwidth i feel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads