• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At last: A suit that really worked.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Wait, what johnapril? Pass whatever crackpipe you're smoking, because if YOU of all people think that YSL RG is ****, there's gotta be something good in there. How is Prada any better? Don't get me wrong, I like Prada, but I think YSL is just as fine...

I would go back and look at the other YSL RG suits, they will all have a basically identical cut, and I'm near certain there will be at least one with double vents and a canvas front. I have personally seen several YSL RG full canvas suits (well, it was last year).

Also, don't worry about single vents, you can always sew it back up.

Is this even really a business suit? If it is, YSL, Gucci, Dior, most Costume National are out. Prada, Jil Sander, Helmut Lang, John Varvatos have more conservative fabrics and cuts. Those four designers could easily pass as business suits, but they all have tapered legs, with the exception of some Helmut Lang, which have straight legs.

I know that you're into the flared/bellbottom/boot-cut look, but if you really want to look like youre ready to "do business," I think a straight, slim leg is not only elegent but very professional as well.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ysl rg, I can't comment on the construction quality since I don't own any. However, there are two different price points, and we're talking about a $700 difference. That would lend me to believe that there are two constructions as well.
Incidentally, for a nice business ready suit, if you are tall and thin, you can't really go wrong with Jil Sander. They are fully canvassed, with traditional, great looking pants (tappered).
Dolce & Gabbana are fused, but the pants look great (very slim and tappered), and the coat is boxier in a more traditional italian style (milan & rome). They are the sharpest looking suits for a business environment, too bad they are fused.
Costume National suits are not really for business, and the pants are straight legged + they are fused.
And flare cut pants ... that was Ford's gimmick for the last seasons and it doesn't look professional at all.

.luc

Lydia

Reaction score
Well, my juvenile fixation with flared or straight-legged pants goes back to long before Tom Ford attempted to make them trendy (or at least before I knew that he had). Through this unfortunate predilection, I've made myself into what I recognize is a buffoon on many occasions. Till now, I've always been young enough and social sets (or countries) where outlandishness is welcomed.
The silhouette of most pants has always irked me. The wealth of fabric in the thigh area has always contrasted unpleasently, to my eyes, with the lack of it around the ankles. It seems to add bulk, or emphasis at least, to the middle area of the body.
But of course, I'll have to break myself of such silliness. I did try on a Jil Sander one a few years ago, which seemed decent. It was at Filene's Basement for 150, so I kick myself hard for not getting it. Any other sources? Unfortunately, I wasn't really about to plunge 1500 into a suit.

Lydia

Reaction score
Single vent just doesn't look good on me. Though I thin, of course, one part of me that is not large at all, but somewhat prominent, is my butt. I find that the flap starts to

I also find the drape of no-vents as you walk to be inferior to two.

There were some two-vents in YSL store, but the emphasis seemed to be on one for this season.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, my juvenile fixation with flared or straight-legged pants goes back to long before Tom Ford attempted to make them trendy (or at least before I knew that he had). Â Through this unfortunate predilection, I've made myself into what I recognize is a buffoon on many occasions. Â Till now, I've always been young enough and social sets (or countries) where outlandishness is welcomed. Â The silhouette of most pants has always irked me. Â The wealth of fabric in the thigh area has always contrasted unpleasently, to my eyes, with the lack of it around the ankles. Â It seems to add bulk, or emphasis at least, to the middle area of the body. Â But of course, I'll have to break myself of such silliness. Â I did try on a Jil Sander one a few years ago, which seemed decent. Â It was at Filene's Basement for 150, so I kick myself hard for not getting it. Â Any other sources? Â Unfortunately, I wasn't really about to plunge 1500 into a suit.
Well, tappered doesn't mean automatically baloony tighs and butt area
smile.gif
I like straight leg pants, with lower waist, shape nicely around the thighs and the butt, and finish straight from there. Costume National is perfect for me. Now, moderately tappered slim pants (Dolce, Jil Sander) will fit nicely around the thighs and create a nice, fuller break at the shoes without making you look like a clown because your shoes look oversized. Once again, the shoes you are going to wear with your suits have to match the pants shape. .luc

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, what johnapril? Pass whatever crackpipe you're smoking, because if YOU of all people think that YSL RG is ****, there's gotta be something good in there. How is Prada any better? Don't get me wrong, I like Prada, but I think YSL is just as fine...

I would go back and look at the other YSL RG suits, they will all have a basically identical cut, and I'm near certain there will be at least one with double vents and a canvas front. I have personally seen several YSL RG full canvas suits (well, it was last year).

Also, don't worry about single vents, you can always sew it back up.

Is this even really a business suit? If it is, YSL, Gucci, Dior, most Costume National are out. Prada, Jil Sander, Helmut Lang, John Varvatos have more conservative fabrics and cuts. Those four designers could easily pass as business suits, but they all have tapered legs, with the exception of some Helmut Lang, which have straight legs.

I know that you're into the flared/bellbottom/boot-cut look, but if you really want to look like youre ready to "do business," I think a straight, slim leg is not only elegent but very professional as well.
I held them side by side and the difference was YSL was fused, Prada was canvassed.

And this was when I was like sober dude.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i own one ysl rg suit and it's fully canvassed; so they're not all fused

Brian SD

Reaction score
Lydia, in any case, its great that you found a suit that fits you the way you like (for the most part). A viable option is to buy a suit like that one that may not feature precisely all of the features you want (although $1500 is a big investment - maybe snag one from YOOX or FB for a lot less), then use that as a template to get a more business-oriented suit made. I can't think of anything specific of YSL RG suits that a good tailor would not be able to replicate, it's not like telling them to perfect the neopolitan sillhouette. BTW, if you find a Jil Sander suit for $150 at Filene's again (and it happens to be a 46/36) - PM ME.
smile.gif

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, if you find a Jil Sander suit for $150 at Filene's again (and it happens to be a 46/36) - PM ME.
smile.gif
Well Lydia, PM me first, and I'll give you an extra $50...
devil.gif
On a side note, very hard to get good deals from yoox anymore, most of the nice stuff in small sizes is sold at full (yoox) price very quickly
confused.gif
. This is especially true since they started shipping to japan & the USA. Ah, the good old days ...
dozingoff.gif
.luc

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i own one ysl rg suit and it's fully canvassed; so they're not all fused
I wonder if YSL is the same story as Prada: hit or miss. I have the same luck with Isaia. Regardless of the label, some are fused, some are canvassed, and there does not seem to be rhyme or reason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads