• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Xtra

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm thinking of purchasing a shirt from Luxire (MTM shirtmaker) and I have taken measurements of a PRL OCBD-shirt that I have.

If I want to slim it up in the selcted area, see pic below, which measurement should I adjust? There is a lot of excess fabric so would be nice to adjust it.

Should I reduce "rounded armhole" or sleeve width? These are names of the measurements from Luxire's guide to measuring, which you can find here; http://luxire.com/pages/how-to-measure. (picture of model from Nordstrom homepage)

djblack

Reaction score
That could be some kind of repair work. Does the seller have a pic of the inside of the shoe?
No, he said you "could only read the inside with a magnifying glass." Which seemed a little suspect.

Is there any way to confirm a shoe is shell cordovan just using images?

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Intending to buy my second jacket tomorrow. I have a Canali one which is a a tan color with light blue and gray windowpane.

I want to get the jacket for a navy suit from Ede & Ravenscroft seen here: http://shop.edeandravenscroft.co.uk/products/navy-plainweave-single-breasted-jacket with the plan of probably buying the trousers at a later time as funds come in, or if not just wearing this as my standard blazer. My question is, is this advisable for a second jacket or should I get something more traditionally a blazer, or something different all together? Furthermore, any comments on Ede & Ravenscroft value-wise?

sobedawg

Reaction score
I am getting married in a few months 5/11/13 and was thinking about having my groomsmen wear a light gray suit with a white shirt, charcoal vest, and charcoal plaid tie. The bridesmaids are wearing guava colored dresses from Davids Bridal. Q1. Is there a fashion rule against light gray with contrasting charcoal vest? I can't seem to find a single picture online with that combination.

Note: I am still browsing the insane amount of information contained in these forums. If the following questions are not appropriate for this thread, please direct me to the right one.

My groomsmen range from 6'4" 160lbs to 5'9" 240 lbs. I would like to find something under $300 for them to purchase. I am thinking simple: 2 button dual vent jacket, 5 button v cut vest, and flat front pants. Q2. Any suggestions for OTR brands/cuts that would be appropriate for both those body types?

I am debating whether to use an online MTM service such as modern tailor or indochino. My concern is that if they don't get everything right the first time, I may not have the time to do any kind of rework. Q3. Any suggestions on MTM sites or other 'custom' options in my price range?

GreatLakes

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with how J. Crew fits?

I'm 145 lbs 6' tall and wondering whether I'm supposed to be a S o M.

I'm 5'9 148 lb and wear a small J Crew shirt and have several medium sweaters.

A regular small J.Crew shirt would likely be too short for you.

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score

Can anyone find me a similar scarf to this one? I understand it is a tartan but I've had no luck anywhere!
There are tartan mills in Edinburgh Scotland that will weave any tartan you want but I'm not sure if you can find that exact tartan in their books. I had a scarf special ordered for me while I was there, if you want to pursue that let me know and I'll get you the info.

Last edited:

kv18schn

Reaction score
There are tartan mills in Edinburgh Scotland that will weave any tartan you want but I'm not sure if you can find that exact tartan in their books. I had a scarf special ordered for me while I was there, if you want to pursue that let me know and I'll get you the info.
If you wouldn't mind. I just got back from Italy and am disappointed I didn't do better searching around for tartan's. Shoot me a pm, please!

E TF

Reaction score

I am getting married in a few months 5/11/13 and was thinking about having my groomsmen wear a light gray suit with a white shirt, charcoal vest, and charcoal plaid tie. The bridesmaids are wearing guava colored dresses from Davids Bridal. Q1. Is there a fashion rule against light gray with contrasting charcoal vest? I can't seem to find a single picture online with that combination. Note: I am still browsing the insane amount of information contained in these forums. If the following questions are not appropriate for this thread, please direct me to the right one. My groomsmen range from 6'4" 160lbs to 5'9" 240 lbs. I would like to find something under $300 for them to purchase. I am thinking simple: 2 button dual vent jacket, 5 button v cut vest, and flat front pants. Q2. Any suggestions for OTR brands/cuts that would be appropriate for both those body types? I am debating whether to use an online MTM service such as modern tailor or indochino. My concern is that if they don't get everything right the first time, I may not have the time to do any kind of rework. Q3. Any suggestions on MTM sites or other 'custom' options in my price range?
There is a relevant section of Styleforum 101 that you should read.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am getting married in a few months 5/11/13 and was thinking about having my groomsmen wear a light gray suit with a white shirt, charcoal vest, and charcoal plaid tie.
My groomsmen range from 6'4" 160lbs to 5'9" 240 lbs.

There is no one suit which will look best on that wide a range of body types.

Please, please give up on the notion that all your groomsmen must be in matching uniforms. I know that bridal planners like the idea, and so may brides, but none of that keeps it from being a bad idea. It is a relatively modern trend, and one which you should not embrace.

Simply make it clear to your groomsmen that they must wear gray suits and white shirts. Let them choose their own gray suits. If you really want to exercise control, specify that they be light gray. If you doubt your groomsmen's ability to find appropriate suits, give your groomsmen a list of 3 or 4 sources where such suits can be obtained, along with a few pictures of the sort of suits which would be acceptable, and emphasize to them that because suits may need minor alterations for best fit, they must purchase their suits no later than *insert date HERE*. Believe it or not, they will almost certainly look better in the wedding photos that way, than they will in matching uniform.

You can even give each groomsmen the charcoal plaid tie you like, as a gift, with instructions to wear it to the wedding.

But unlike bridesmaids, groomsmen are not supposed to all wear identical, unflattering outfits. If your bride thinks differently, explain to her why it's not necessary, and not desirable, that your groomsmen be dressed that way.

I, of course, fully expect my advice to you to be ignored. Good advice usually is.
--
Michael

Last edited:

ryan82885

Reaction score
Just learned I made it to the final round of an interview with senior partners at the firm and I'm looking to invest in a new suit that will help me look the part. I live in NYC and am about 6 foot, 235 pounds, 40/42" waist. I want something with pretty decent quality (at least that of Brooks Brothers) and am looking for a quick turnaround as I'm not sure when the interview is scheduled for but would think it might be next week. Any recommendations appreciated and let me know if you need any more info!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads