• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a nice tie...upto around $100...maybe $150. What are my options? Can I get a nice 7 fold?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The problem with buying S/M/L is that you can't get a customized sleeve length. Any of the above suggestions (TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt, BB) will offer a variety of whole sleeve sizes for each neck size. A tailor can shorten sleeves, but now you are adding $15 cost per shirt, and shortening the sleeves too much messes with the length/look of the sleeve placket.

Or a proper neck size. Basically, it is very unlikely that either the neck or the sleeves will be just right. If you are one of the few people for which that shirt fits perfectly, go for it. If not... It's not worth it.

Furthermore, the "serious" shirt makers all size their stuff in neck/sleeve sizes. If it's being sold in S/M/L sizes, it's almost certainly a garbage shirt.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking to get a nice tie...upto around $100...maybe $150. What are my options? Can I get a nice 7 fold?

Plenty of good stuff on sale at that price point--Drakes just had a big sale with lots of good stuff around that price.

Also, eBay or B&S.

Finally, check out Sam Hober. Great stuff, and almost all of it under $100.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plenty of good stuff on sale at that price point--Drakes just had a big sale with lots of good stuff around that price.

Also, eBay or B&S.

Finally, check out Sam Hober. Great stuff, and almost all of it under $100.

Will check out Sam Hober. Where can I find Drakes online?

AmericanGent

Reaction score
The problem with buying S/M/L is that you can't get a customized sleeve length. Any of the above suggestions (TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt, BB) will offer a variety of whole sleeve sizes for each neck size. A tailor can shorten sleeves, but now you are adding $15 cost per shirt, and shortening the sleeves too much messes with the length/look of the sleeve placket.

Or a proper neck size. Basically, it is very unlikely that either the neck or the sleeves will be just right. If you are one of the few people for which that shirt fits perfectly, go for it. If not... It's not worth it.

Furthermore, the "serious" shirt makers all size their stuff in neck/sleeve sizes. If it's being sold in S/M/L sizes, it's almost certainly a garbage shirt.

I couldn't agree more- In my first reply actually started to write about both the neck and sleeve issue but I erased it and kept my reply simple. If it's S/M/L it's most likely a fashion shirt from BR, H&M or some other store for younger shoppers. Looking at the picture he posted it appears that the sleeves are a touch too long in the Small size- but with some minor tailoring there and on the sides it could be corrected. Hard to say unless you see it in real life.
T.M. Lewin and Tyrwhitt don't work for me, but I think a slim guy might find some good starter shirts there. I stopped in to both of their Edinburgh stores this summer and tried all of their sizes, but my shoulders are too broad so no luck for me. My personal fit aside- I think a young professional could get a great core of wardrobe basics built there.

Thank you both for offering clarification to my post- I think you are both right on.

K2793

Reaction score
Fantastic help gents, thank you. I will look into TM Lewin and others. I need to figure out my sleeve length and I'll be good to go.

One more quick question, I need a suit for upcoming job fairs and just future events in the business field for school. I'm worried my physique may change within a year as I am hopeful I may grow a tad more, and I am starting to work out. What is a good budget option for a conservative suit? I was thinking charcoal in color would be best. I have J&M Melton's for shoes.

drsnuggles

Reaction score
Hi gents

First time poster, medium term lurker here that's been gradually improving my wardrobe with the help of this wonderful forum.

Wondering if anyone could help me identify the name/fit of this PS Paul Smith suit? Recently bought at a local sale and it fits me just about perfect right off the rack so I'm thinking about buying another suit or two from ebay or other online source, but would like to make sure that I get the same fit.

Thanks

(sorry for crappy cellphone pics)

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of Allen Edmonds for Brooks Bros. Strands. Fairly new to the dressing shoe game.
My question is this: Should i get shoe "taps" for them?

Also just bought a pair of Magnanni 'Miro's (these don't have the added rubber padding that the BB do)
Should i get a cobbler to add rubber padding to them?

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Anyone know a place in London that sells Saphir suede cleaner and waterproofer?

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of Allen Edmonds for Brooks Bros. Strands. Fairly new to the dressing shoe game.
My question is this: Should i get shoe "taps" for them?

Also just bought a pair of Magnanni 'Miro's (these don't have the added rubber padding that the BB do)
Should i get a cobbler to add rubber padding to them?

Depends on how hard you are on you shoes. If you are asking, then probably.

Last edited:

NDND2012

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding a Navy cotton suit to my wardrobe for summertime. Mostly for daytime warm weather weddings. I'd be looking to get one made to measure I think. My questions:

1) Is cotton a major pain to keep wrinkle free/travel with?
2) Is it significantly cooler than wool?
2) Any ideas where to look for a slim cut made to measure at a reasonable price? I live in Canada

argerg22

Reaction score
Hi!

i have newer owned a threebuttoned sportcoat before soi am not shure how to button the buttons. So my question is, how many buttons should i button?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyexchangebuyy