• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

tubby34

Reaction score
To piggy back, is there anything on a RL label to find the color? I have a suit jacket I'd like to get pants for but can't find the RL Dark Charcoal color anywhere.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of you should post a picture of the interior tag so that you can better be assisted.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick shirt question: are french fronts any harder to iron than placket fronts?

Hovk

Reaction score
Please gain 10 lbs.

Since you're asking so nicely I'll tell you that the fact is that I got a hard time gaining weight. I asked you guys a question and if you won't answer it; spare me your non-contributing comments.

djblack

Reaction score
Are these shell cordovan Aldens? A person selling them claims as much. But I've never seen Alden's with that back seam. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

pnin22

Reaction score

Could someone/anyone help me with a question in regards to bow ties. I'm new here so take it easy on me. Lol

Where could I get the measurement liner that is sewn into a freestyle bow tie? I want to make some bow ties for friends and family but I want to put the measure tape/liner inside. Does anyone know?

I haven't the slightest idea, but I would think this wouldn't be available to the general public in small quantities -- the bowtie makers don't want competition. Here are a couple of bowtie makers and related threads, maybe they'll help you...

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f144/diy-bow-tie-44411/

http://ellielaveer.wordpress.com/

http://www.bowtieclub.com/

BenPS

Reaction score
Quick question.

I'm attending a funeral tomorrow for a friend. Wearing a navy suit, white shirt, black shoes, black tie. I have a black pocket square, but can't figure out if it looks okay on the navy suit, or if I should go white pocket square, or none at all.

The black doesn't look bad, just a little strange. I also realize that I am overthinking this, and that no one will be looking at me or care what I am wearing

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question.

I'm attending a funeral tomorrow for a friend. Wearing a navy suit, white shirt, black shoes, black tie. I have a black pocket square, but can't figure out if it looks okay on the navy suit, or if I should go white pocket square, or none at all.

The black doesn't look bad, just a little strange. I also realize that I am overthinking this, and that no one will be looking at me or care what I am wearing

No on the black square. Yes on white (if you want to, you'd be fine without it) if it is linen, no square if the white you have is silk.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My condolences on your loss, BenPS.

Don't wear a black pocket square. Unlike some, I don't see anything terribly wrong with wearing a white pocket square in a simple fold to a funeral, if you normally wear a pocket square. And not wearing any pocket square would be okay, of course. But a black pocket square would just be weird.

Even if not going to a funeral, it's rare that the best color for a pocket square is solid black. Yeah, sometimes it's not a horrible choice, but one can almost always come up with something a little better. Or a lot better.

The rest of your outfit sounds fine, btw. I normally wear charcoal suits to funerals, but navy's not going to look disrespectful or anything.

If your shirt has French cuffs, because that's the sort of shirt you normally wear, keep the links small and subdued.

Bring a handkerchief with you. People often cry at funerals, and if a gentleman encounters a lady shedding tears, it's nice to be able to offer her a clean handkerchief. (A white pocket square would do, in a pinch.) And no, this is not about hitting on women at funerals; it's about showing consideration to someone who is experiencing grief.
--
Michael

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are these shell cordovan Aldens? A person selling them claims as much. But I've never seen Alden's with that back seam. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
That could be some kind of repair work. Does the seller have a pic of the inside of the shoe?

Last edited:

Miekka

Reaction score
Any thoughts on uneven/barre' dye washes on cotton summer trousers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads