• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow great pictures. You really put some effort into this.

Looks a bit short, but then again it is hard to say anything with these photos...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
If you're trying to be like Spoo then get those AE's in green
teacha.gif

Well played sir.

lincolnshirepaul

Reaction score
Dear all, in the film lord of war, approximately 1 hour in, Nicolas Cage's character meets with this african dictator, who appears to be wearing a rather amazing shirt,. -(it's somewhat unidentifiable). I was wondering if anyone happens to know a) what that is, and b) where could one be found.

Pics here:

5564505941_a3598b3e3d_b.jpg

5565083814_72ca5d7961_b.jpg

5565083074_37e8917bc8_b.jpg

Movie title here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/

P.S - First post, but have been on these forums for a long time now!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's certainly custom-made for the movie. Find a friendly, adventurous shirt maker, especially one who makes for the stage, and prepare to pay for custom work. The fabric looks like a heavy cotton-linen blend.

lincolnshirepaul

Reaction score
Thanks, alliswell,

Recently found out that it was called a military shirt, however, most of the ones I have found seem to be a little wide of the mark. Are there any good examples for me to show my tailor? (bespoke, of course
worship.gif
)

A close-but-not-really example is found here, at topman, of all places:

83S19BWHT_normal.jpg

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to consolidate my watch collection. Selling them (as well as other items) here:

Cheap plug for items I'm selling!!

I think I have narrowed it down to these 3.

Rolex Explorer II
exp2nato.jpg

Rolex Vintage Submariner
MBBRXsub005.jpg

Breitling Superocean Heritage
croppedimage620349-breitlinesuperocean%5B1%5D-1293554786.jpg

Pros and cons? I am leaning towards the explorer. I think it looks great with a Nato strap and isn't as prevalent as the submariner. But the submariner is a timeless classic.
The breitling is a lot "gaudier" but i love the mesh strap...and the face/dial looks very clean and sleek.

This next watch will be pretty much my only and last watch. I'm pretty much getting rid of all the watches I've accumulated over the years (except for a Datejust, a G-shock, and a vintage Heuer diver)
I want it to last a lifetime and will pass it on to my son when he is older. My price range is $3K-$4K...so save for the breitling, i will be buying a pre-owned.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buddha123
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lor=Black#null

Anyone own these? Opinions?

Please keep comments objective. I don't need a diatribe against all loafers.

What would you like to know? BB does not make their own shoes. They are made in England by one of the major shoemakers there - Crockett and Jones or Alfred Sargent, I believe (There is no Peal and Co.). Others may have a bead on who exactly. Quality is likely to be good, and the price looks good to me. It comes down to how you like the style. That's the part that is not for me.

tab3076

Reaction score
I have a bit a problem, I can't find shirts that fit me. I'm 6'2 and 175lbs. I'm a bit on the lean side, but even I was ripped I'd still need shirts in my size. For reference a t-shirt the fits be well would be a typical J. Crew cotten tee in small and in "tailored" fit. My problem is I can't find any dress shirts that fit me well because the arms are too short. If they made slim medium-talls that'd probably work perfectly. If Banana Republic made small-talls, or slim medium-talls that'd work too, but the fact is they don't. One shirt that does fit me well is Brooks Brothers Extra Slim fits, but the only have 3 or 2 styles? Which, doesn't play out well at all. What do I do?
frown.gif
EDIT : I did try a medium silm medium-tall BR shirt, it didn't fit. Way too tent-like.

Patek14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
Pants are a huge

I know, I haven't worn those pants in a long time. I've lost a lot of weight since I bought those pants...they were simply the only clear pair of tan pants I had on hand

vanzdog

Reaction score
I'm 5'9.

Would this length:

(back) top of collar to bottom: 27"

be too short? Even if I wore it as a blazer?

Are blazers usually worn shorter than if I'd wear it as a full suit?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
have no idea w/o pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads