1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Atlantic herring

Atlantic herring Well-Known Member

I bought saphir shoe cream for my G&G's in vintage rioja calf, I't turned out to be for cordovan skin. I'm just worried that the polish won't give my shoes the protection they need if i use it. I tried to return it but they didn't have the color i need. So the question is if the cordovan cream is sufficient or if i should by something else?

2. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

3. jdvs

jdvs Member

This might be a dumb question, but here goes: will a normal tailor do modifications to outerwear? I got a great deal on a RLPL field jacket. It fits great in the shoulders and the length, but the sleeves are way too long and the body is a bit bulky. I'm tempted to bring it into a tailor, but I'm not sure if there's something special about modifying outerwear (e.g. because its water-resistant) that means your average tailor shouldn't mess with it. Thanks!

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Monk straps are fine for business casual.

But seriously, why is tying laces annoying? Do you have arthritis?

5. kuslamb

kuslamb Well-Known Member

I am wearing a shirt very similar to this - http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/brooks-...shirt/3175599?origin=category&resultback=6498 - Essentially white background with a grid check. The grid lines on my shirt are 1/2 black and 1/2 blue. The black and blue lines go in both directions (as opposed to black horizontal and blue vertical). Shirt is Robert Talbott.

I am wearing a charcoal suit w/ black shoes. It is an evening wedding at a country club, so a little dressier is okay.

Pocket square options are white linen, or various shades of blue with white piping linen, or none of course.

Please recommend a few tie options. I have never worn this shirt with a suit as I typically wear solid white or blue with texture with this suit.

I was thinking diagonal stripes in blue. white, and another color, but not confident on that look.

Any recommendations would be great. Additionally, specific links to previous wearers of a similar look would be even better.

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Depends greatly on the material and construction of the jacket (ie the stitching, seams, etc). It is best to bring the jacket into a tailor and see if he feels comfortable. This also goes without saying, but you should seek out the best tailor you can. I have heard horror stories of tailors claiming they can alter outerwear, only to produce terrible results. In NYC you should have a plethora of great tailors, however.

7. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

Sorry I mis-worded my post. I was wondering if CK Collection made some cheaper suits that retailed for sub $1000. I saw some CK Collection suits for around $200 with a marked MSRP of $700. I thought all their suits were over $1000. So I was wondering if they made a cheaper range of suits or something or if it's a typo.

8. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

i have a serious answer to that
    i have a very slim fitting suit... the pants are very slim fitting and tight, especially around the thighs
    i am afraid that one day the pants will split in the thigh area when i bend down to put on socks or tie my shoes

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Yes they do. CK has a number of different lines with "Collection" or "White Label" being the most expensive. After that there is "Black Label", CK and so on and so forth.

10. LukeM

LukeM Well-Known Member

Has anyone ordered from Flatspot.com? How fast was their shipping? Was their customer service any good?

And can anyone comment on the quality of the Makr Farm Ruck Sack and its carrying capacity?

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Almost anything... the check is small and subtle. Just don't wear anything with a pattern about on the same scale as that of the shirt.

Brows the WAYWRN thread. Should be plenty of checked shirts in there.

12. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Well-Known Member

Are these burgundy AE Sanfords corrected grain—ahem—"polished calf"? Model # is 5237, if that helps... They kinda look like it to me, but Sanfords seem to have some respectable reviews elsewhere on here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Harold falcon

Sanford is one of their better shoes, I don't know if it's ever been offered in corrected grain.

14. Harold falcon

Sounds too tight.

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

^This. And put on your socks before you put on the pants.

16. cxbxw

cxbxw Well-Known Member

Hi guys. What color dress pant would go with these brogues? I picked them primarily because they compliment raw denim, but I'd ideally like to be able to 'dress them up', too. Thanks. . .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  17. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

still need to bend down to put on the shoes though...

anyway
    [​IMG]
    peal & co
    who makes these? C&J? Alden?

18. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

The distressing makes those too casual to wear with anything but jeans.

19. Mimosa

Mimosa Well-Known Member

How do you buckle a shoe with bending down as well? Or am I missing the joke here.

20. cxbxw

cxbxw Well-Known Member

Thanks. What color dress pants would match the color, if not the shoes? :)