• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For breakfast and postworkout, oats are fine. They are low-GI.

Noir.

Reaction score
oats don't give a hugely insulinogenic response (much less so than fruit). They are firmly in the "complex carb" position. the fiber in it is just a bonus (most fiber from green veggies), but as far as "good" carbs, oats and sweet potatoes are about as good as it gets.

Antecdotally I don't look as good on them, but my workouts are infinitely better. When you're glycogen depleted and dry, carbs will make you look fuller as well (though rice cakes, glycerol, soda, and sometimes donuts do the job better). still, i lurv oatmeal.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
I'm no scientist. I've got two reasons, though.

I'm not comfortable eating food that has that bad of a fiber:carbohydrate ratio. To get 4g of fiber from an apple, you need to eat about 20g of carbs. To get 4g of fiber from oatmeal, you need to eat about 30g of carbs. The ratio gets even worse for wheat and cereal.

I guess, then, I just don't see the point of eating a bowl of oatmeal when you can have an apple instead.

Also, anecdotally, I look/feel less defined the day after I eat starch.

The day before an event (race, match, new Cassidey flick... whatever), I might eat starch, but that's about it.

Well are you eating potatoes? Beans? Yams? Rice?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happens if you don't eat after workout? I just want to slim up and avoiding the protein shakes and heavy meals...

Noir.

Reaction score
... why would you want to avoid a protein shake? and nothing's really going to happen, but you're not doing yourself any favors. If you do this for five days a week for six months... then I can't say because I wouldn't want to chance losing muscle. Which you would probably do.

My inclination is to say that will have absolutely no benefit to speed fat loss.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
What happens if you don't eat after workout? I just want to slim up and avoiding the protein shakes and heavy meals...

The periworkout window is the best time to eat as your body needs the nutrients and won't store anything as fat (assuming your meal is within reason). That's the meal you should worry about least in terms of losing weight.

Noir.

Reaction score
Was webcamming with a girlfriend last night and channeling my inner patrick bateman. A fatter, more hairy version who doesn't tan in "the salon" *sarcastic, cheeky, murderous smile*.
29325150hi3.jpg
backsmallea9.jpg
incoming zomg he's skinny fat!! don't listen!! ya ya bad lighting, bad camera/webcam, whatever. it was night and there's a light from my laptop screen and tv. I just thought it looked kind of cool. Now I feel bad for having flatbread pizza for lunch yesterday. But then I said I was a skinny ***** and ate it anyway. It's funny (read: amazing) what a good photographer, lighting, and photochopping can do. By the way, girls are bad news, fellas. They make you look less pretty
plain.gif
They know how much I like pizza and ice cream...

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Can we make a cyber thread?

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Noir -

How does this look (roughly) for a carb cycling moderate day? I'm 5'9" 170# and trying to lean out.

I work a desk job but I do lift 3 days a week (5x5 of the big 6) and do cardio (rowing or cycling) on my off days and rest on Sundays, sometimes Saturdays too depending on how worn out I feel.

carbcyclemoderatept4.jpg

Noir.

Reaction score
How old are you? It's tough to tell a carb cycle for a single day's diet. I'm assuming you're working out between breakfast & AM snack with the snack being PWO. (assuming you're going by the method 2. I've outlined which seems to be the case. If you're doing depletion & refeed a la (1.) or what kunk mentioned doing, the carb intake is too high). A few things that kind of jump out at me, though aren't a huge deal unless you're a bit anal and getting down to the nitty gritty (i.e. won't matter much unless you're sub 8 or 9% already). 1. apple at lunch. Fructose restores liver glycogen and primes your body to use glycogen as fuel. So it's great pre-workout, but afterwards you're going to want to use fat as fuel. On cardio-only days, a few g of BCAA + green tea & some light cardio on an empty stomach has seemed to work well in the past. I wouldn't do HIIT on an empty stomach though if that's your preference. 2. Roma tomato @ dinner. tomatoes are great sources of minerals and vitamins (especially cooked), but I would prefer them in the meal after PWO. 3. 70g of protein in a sitting may be overkill. You'll digest it eventually but I don't know if having that much in one sitting is necessary at your weight. 4. Carbs are perhaps a little on the low side, though if you seem to be more carb sensitive I can understand. 5. Not sure if the whey powder is necessary right before bed. It certainly won't hurt you, but if you like cottage cheese you can just have more of that instead. I don't like cottage so I take a blended powder before sleep most of the time. 6. check where the fats in the dressing are coming from. Good fats are great. Bad fats (trans fats, anything "partially hydrogenated", etc.) aren't. I just took a quick browse through it and didn't pay a whole lot of attention tbh. I didn't see any fats from fish or flax which are great for general health, joints, and to some degree fat loss. Throw some almonds in place of the TJs PB at night on occasion. With that said it's certainly not bad and if you stick with it you're miles ahead of most people who eat 1 or 2 fast food meals a day. How long have you been doing this and how has it been working for you thus far? Results speak more than theory.
Originally Posted by wiscogooner
Noir - How does this look (roughly) for a carb cycling moderate day? I'm 5'9" 170# and trying to lean out. I work a desk job but I do lift 3 days a week (5x5 of the big 6) and do cardio (rowing or cycling) on my off days and rest on Sundays, sometimes Saturdays too depending on how worn out I feel.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
to add my two cents, for what he's planning, carbs are way too high. i have been 40-50g carbs per day and have seen significant change and have had plenty of energy even for thrice-weekly heavy 5 x 5 training. can;t see how those carb numbers would even minimally induce ketosis.

and i prefer cassein before bed as it keeps you fuller, longer.

Noir.

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I meant with (1) or (2) I outlined early on in this thread. If he's doing method 2. which is basically cycling up and down (mine is low: 160, moderate: 210, high: 265) but not entering ketosis then I'd say carbs are a hair low. If he's doing the ketogenic thing with depletion & refeeds (like what you're doing), they're definitely too high. sub-50g is necessary iirc for ketosis (I was closer to 10-15 up to 45/50 including green vegetables when I did it).

Everyone's different on that though. I feel like crap and am incredibly weak on low carb so I'm not really a proponent. A lot of the really big guys I know love it though because it works so fast. This is antecdotal but most of the pure bodybuilders like it and most people with an athletic background don't (a guy I work with a lot is a former d1 football player and I used to compete heavily in soccer, neither of us like ketogenic). The really big guys who carry a lot of muscle and have a little more bf to shed prefer ketogenic and don't seem to suffer much in the strength or feel-good department.

Casein takes longer to digest and is more ideal before bed because of it. If you're taking 4-5 hrs to digest the protein plus a few hours before catabolic shock, you can avoid it altogether or at least dampen the effects. Not a huge deal but every little bit helps.

Originally Posted by thekunk07
to add my two cents, for what he's planning, carbs are way too high. i have been 40-50g carbs per day and have seen significant change and have had plenty of energy even for thrice-weekly heavy 5 x 5 training. can;t see how those carb numbers would even minimally induce ketosis.

and i prefer cassein before bed as it keeps you fuller, longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads