• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you in a midlife crisis?

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Seriously? Is that the best he could think of? Sure the Lambo is cool and all. But sleeping at the Motel 6 and taking ***** at the Flying J for months on end sounds lame. A couple grand could set you up for a long time in someplace chill like Costa Rica.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
The guy went from motel room to motel room. Random driving through the US over that period of time strikes me as a sad, strange compulsion. He wasn't free, he was CONSTRAINED by the car. He could have taken a 12 to 16 hour flight and been on the ground in Asia with a backpack on his back, just walking the earth, meeting people and getting in adventures.
You say this as if your legs and walking isn't a constraint.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy went from motel room to motel room. Random driving through the US over that period of time strikes me as a sad, strange compulsion. He wasn't free, he was CONSTRAINED by the car.

He could have taken a 12 to 16 hour flight and been on the ground in Asia with a backpack on his back, just walking the earth, meeting people and getting in adventures.

ROFL, CONSTRAINED to a car, thats hilarious. He could go wherever he wanted in all America without needing a plane ticket, tell me how that is constrained. I don't see how its sad either, it might not be your idea of happiness but who are you to judge what makes him happy?

I don't get why he'd go to Asia and get in adventures either, no doubt that would also be fun but it's a different preference of lifestyle. Again this might be your idea of happiness but who are you to say this is 'better'?

Fair enough that you might have your own idea of happiness, but projecting this on someone else is silly and that's essentially why many people choose seachanges. They are sick of being told happiness comes from having a house, a wife and kid and a stable job.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
ROFL, CONSTRAINED to a car, thats hilarious. He could go wherever he wanted in all America without needing a plane ticket, tell me how that is constrained. I don't see how its sad either, it might not be your idea of happiness but who are you to judge what makes him happy?

I don't get why he'd go to Asia and get in adventures either, no doubt that would also be fun but it's a different preference of lifestyle. Again this might be your idea of happiness but who are you to say this is 'better'?

Fair enough that you might have your own idea of happiness, but projecting this on someone else is silly and that's essentially why many people choose seachanges. They are sick of being told happiness comes from having a house, a wife and kid and a stable job.

Word.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i am 35 and wear only rick owens and just ordered a red r32. I report, you decide.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel sorry for this guy. Having a Lambo is fun, but traveling hotel to hotel isn't. Traveling around the country is cool, but doing it aimlessly is rather sad.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i am 35 and wear only rick owens and just ordered a red r32. I report, you decide.

The fact that you are the owner of an R32 has elevated your status IMO. That is one f*cking cool and hot car.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think as long as you are happy with your family you can't really be having a mid-life crisis. I became momentarily disenchanted with some various life choices of mine, last year, but remained completely contented with my domestic situation. I think that's really the key to happiness.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think as long as you are happy with your family you can't really be having a mid-life crisis. I became momentarily disenchanted with some various life choices of mine, last year, but remained completely contented with my domestic situation. I think that's really the key to happiness.

+1

I sometimes wonder - over the past few years I have undertaken some major changes in lifestyle. my feeling is that they are things that I have wanted to do, and have waited until my family and economic situation was stable enough. now that they are, I can pursue some recreational activities that I have wanted to for years, and haven't been able to allow myself the luxury. but I wouldn't change anything in my life.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I feel sorry for this guy. Having a Lambo is fun, but traveling hotel to hotel isn't. Traveling around the country is cool, but doing it aimlessly is rather sad.

You feel sorry for this guy? He is doing exactly what he wants, and despite the faults in his life, he seems to be as happy as he could be. Why the hell would anyone feel sorry for him?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
You say this as if your legs and walking isn't a constraint.

You don't see much while driving down the road, especially the Interstate.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't see much while driving down the road, especially the Interstate.
Maybe he saw what he was looking for. The point is, we are all subject to constraints. The best we can hope to do is choose that which constrains us. Thus I found your argument that a car was a constraint, but travel on foot was not, to be completely illogical. It's also challenging to say that someone can't find what they are looking for when you don't know what that is. ~ H

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

I feel sorry for you.

Originally Posted by XenoX101

Well said. Happiness, like many things in life, is all about perception.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Guy sounds like a tool. For far less than what he spent on the car you could travel around the world and have some experiences that would make his "adventure" seem like a trip to Starbucks. Plus he's racked up several hundred grand of debt that he'll never be able to pay back, so all he's really accomplished is making getting a loan slightly harder for anyone else who needs it.

Yeah, this. He should have just used it for plane tickets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads