• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin LM HW is a plus, in that sense you are most than right.

In Spain none of the shoelovers will tell you that Meermin LM is better than Carmina, I not alone either. Apart from the above, wich I respect so much, finishings, insoles/outsoles, pattern designs, and QC are a bit better than Meermin . Although, we can discuss quality in Yanko Vs. Meermin LM

My impression is just that the design of the patterns of Meermin are in many models kind of blobbly and loose with their last/type of shoes. Finishings... and CQ is another very important issue to me. I have handle most pairs at their shops here many times.

The rest of the quality materials/components of Mermin exactly the same than Yanko (same level of prices too), but not to Carmina. But I never stated that their quality is far behind/above to each other .

Just my opinion, but I would like you to elaborate a bit more yours so maybe I change my analisis
satisfied.gif

02///M3

Reaction score
FWIW, I have Carminas, Yankos and Meermin Classic line (but no Meermin LM). I would say the quality of the Yankos is definitely closer to the Carminas than the Meermin classics. I've worn my Yanko captoe brogue on 915 last regularly for 2+ years now and they are in great shape.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have Carminas, Yankos and Meermin Classic line (but no Meermin LM). I would say the quality of the Yankos is definitely closer to the Carminas than the Meermin classics. I've worn my Yanko captoe brogue on 915 last regularly for 2+ years now and they are in great shape.
I am not alone here.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin LM HW is a plus, in that sense you are most than right.

In Spain none of the shoelovers will tell you that Meermin LM is better than Carmina, I not alone either. Apart from the above, wich I respect so much, finishings, insoles/outsoles, pattern designs, and QC are a bit better than Meermin . Although, we can discuss quality in Yanko Vs. Meermin LM

My impression is just that the design of the patterns of Meermin are in many models kind of blobbly and loose with their last/type of shoes. Finishings... and CQ is another very important issue to me. I have handle most pairs at their shops here many times.

The rest of the quality materials/components of Mermin exactly the same than Yanko (same level of prices too), but not to Carmina. But I never stated that their quality is far behind/above to each other .

Just my opinion, but I would like you to elaborate a bit more yours so maybe I change my analisis
satisfied.gif
I wouldn't disagree with you. Meerman QC isn't great on their classic line, but I have found the LM line to have significantly better QC. I don't think their LM line is blobby, if anything they're usually to sleek for my feet.

Realistically I'd put it at Meermin < Yanko < Meermin LM < Carmina. Carmina is my favorite b/c their QC is good, there is a consistency, and their cordovan is incredible. I'd accept that because of the more consistent QC of Yanko that you could put it ahead of Meermin LM on an overall ranking.

Galix

Reaction score

I wouldn't disagree with you.  Meerman QC isn't great on their classic line, but I have found the LM line to have significantly better QC.  I don't think their LM line is blobby, if anything they're usually to sleek for my feet.  

Realistically I'd put it at Meermin < Yanko < Meermin LM < Carmina.  Carmina is my favorite b/c their QC is good, there is a consistency, and their cordovan is incredible.  I'd accept that because of the more consistent QC of Yanko that you could put it ahead of Meermin LM on an overall ranking.  

This is an interesting ranking.

I haven't tried Yanko myself, but I have shoes from Meermin's classic line and LM. The difference is huge (so is the price, to be fair). I have a Hiro lasted grain leather boot which is by far the worst "good shoe" I've owned. The leather began loosing color after just few months of light use and the front part of the sole is breaking apart. In comparison I have a pair of Alden Indy boots that receive even worse beating and they are holding like the first day.

But last winter I got a pair of LM double monks and I was greatly impressed. Both the leather and the finishing details were very good. And so far they are holding quite well. Although they suffer from the squeaking noise problem that has been commented in Meermin's thread. But apart from that I am very pleased.

So if Yanko sits somewhere in between, it might be a good alternative to consider considering the price.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the end, we are saying the same; not much difference.

Crosspost of mine from Spanish Shoe Brands.

"
To update the thread and after some research on the field in Spain, here comes my list:

GYW cons.

1.-Carmina
2.-Meermin LM, Berwick LP (JR soles), Yanko, Lotusse.
3.-Meermin LC, Berwick GYL.
4.-Bow Tie

Norman Vilalta has a new RTW line from 2014.

Blake cons

1.-Magnanni (most production overseas).
2.-Tallsem (great desings only on line))

Bologna cons

1.-Magnanni.

Blake Rapid cons

1.-Vidal Fernandez.

HW cons

1.-Enrile in Sevilla.

Bespoke

Norman Vilalta (Palma Mallorca-Barcelona)

Ramón Cuberta (Barcelona).

Others manufacturers: Andres Sendra, Crownhill, Calce, Manuel Gomez Artesanos."

A croos post from Spanish Shoe Bran

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the end, we are saying the same; no much difference.

Cross post from Spanish Shoe Brands

To update the thread and after some research on the field in Spain, here comes my list:

GYW cons.

1.-Carmina
4.-Bow Tie

Blake cons

Bologna cons

1.-Magnanni.

Blake Rapid cons

1.-Vidal Fernandez.

HW cons

1.-Enrile in Sevilla.

Bespoke

Others manufacturers: Andres Sendra, Crownhill, Calce, Manuel Gomez Artesanos.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GYW cons.

1.-Carmina
4.-Bow Tie

Blake cons

Bologna cons

1.-Magnanni.

Blake Rapid cons

1.-Vidal Fernandez.

HW cons

1.-Enrile in Sevilla.

Bespoke

At the end, we are saying the same; not much difference in quality....

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was a cross post of mine. I apologize, I am having problems with the editor??.

doodledoc

Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of dark brown wingtips. However, I am looking for a sleek shoe (not the blobby AE Park Avenue looking shoes). I like chisel toes, but do not exclude non chisel toes. Which last should I be looking for in Yanko?

BTW, I am an 8E in AE Park Avenue, and I can fit a 8.5 in Meermin's Olfe last. I'll be getting in Meermin Park last size 8.5 tomorrow and i'll see if those fit well.

loveartioli

Reaction score

GYW cons.

1.-Carmina
4.-Bow Tie

Blake cons

Bologna cons

1.-Magnanni.

Blake Rapid cons

1.-Vidal Fernandez.

HW cons

1.-Enrile in Sevilla.

Bespoke

At the end, we are saying the same; not much difference in quality....
Very good information,some more brands:George's Coll ,barrats 1890,kollflex, among them,George's Coll make some goodyear welted shoes,for your reference.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting discussion about quality of the Yanko shoes and other brands in the same segment. For obvious reason we are carefull when talking about the quality in terms of our oppinion since we prefer that the feeling of the quality is told by you (customers) instead that has tried the shoes. However we are happy to provide some facts that might shine some light to the subject :)

Yanko uses leather of very high quality from well renowned tanneries and for most of our stock models the leather is from D'Annonay. Also other parts of the shoes have parts that are a bit unusual in this price range. For example the heel is made out of leather board wich is something not every brands in this price level uses.

There is a neutral review of one of the Yanko models (one of our stock models) here:
http://translate.google.com/transla...10/05/recension-yanko-rawley-cuero/&sandbox=1

The review is in swedish but above its translated with Google Translate. Its written by a well known swedish blogger that has the blogg www.shoegazing.se. He writes a bit about the quality and how he compares it with other shoes in the same level.

I hope the above helps a bit, and feel free to ask if you have further questions. Of course you are also welcome to send an private message if you have personal fitting questions etc.
Thanks for the link, good info..

I really love 915 last (I have Simpson too). What it is your opinion about Yanko insoles/outsoles?. Do you know their suppliers?.

I think that my list it is quite objective. Notwithstanding the clasiffication I made, there are not much quality increase among them (same construction, supliers and more or less same materials, crasftmanship and QC).

Fit is first, so I can say 915 last is really good for my feet and I love the shape of the last.

At those prices, GYW shoes in Spain are really good value, specially if you compare them with RTW GYW english shoes in the same level of quality/crasftmanship.

Just my two cents.

doodledoc

Reaction score
For the 961 last, Size 7.5UK (8.5 US)?

BTW, I am an 8E in AE Park Avenue, and I can fit a 8.5 in Meermin's Olfe last. I'll be getting in Meermin Park last size 8.5 today and i'll see if those fit well.

I am also interested in a pair of double monk straps in the 915 last. What would I be in that last?

Which last is sleeker? I can't really tell from the pics you provided earlier of the shoes.

Last edited:

doodledoc

Reaction score
FWIW, I wear an 8.5 in 962 and a 9 in Hiro. Don't have a 961 though.

Unfortunately, I do not own a Meermin in the hiro last as it's not sleek enough in my opinion. I do have both the Olfe last in size 8.5 US (7.5 UK) and Park last in size 8.5 US (7.5 UK). Park is a little snug and Olfe is a little roomy, but is more comfortable than the Park. I do like the look of the Park much better though. Do you ahve either the Park or Olfe last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads