• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HugoGYW

Reaction score
Thanks. Did you size down from your Hiro size? From what i hear HOK=ROD=Negon
I have a chelsea in HOK (sized down from HIRO), chelsea in ROD (same size as Hiro w/ insert). They are laceless though.
Nope, I went with the same size as with Hiro (9 uk). Hiro does feel snuggier than Negon, besides on the top of my toes, but as mentioned, Negon's unstructured toecap molds to your toes. Next time I am in Madrid I might try Negon in 8.5 just to be sure, but I believe that it will be too short.

HugoGYW

Reaction score
Would you mind sharing some pics? I really want to get a pair but none are available in my size atm
There you go! Wearing them right now, I am on the tram so this is the best I could do. Let me know if you want any other angle

Attachments

• 20240116_193709.jpg
    20240116_193709.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 20240116_193652.jpg
    20240116_193652.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 385

GuyLab

Reaction score
There you go! Wearing them right now, I am on the tram so this is the best I could do. Let me know if you want any other angle
They look really nice, they did flatten quite a bit, that's what I was wondering too. I'm eyeing the oiled crossboard

HugoGYW

Reaction score
They look really nice, they did flatten quite a bit, that's what I was wondering too. I'm eyeing the oiled crossboard
Yep! They are definitely flatter than other lasts. It works because of the unstructured toe, so it does not hurt nor pressure too much... but it is also prone to deformation. Check out my left boot, you will see the toecap has a small bump that would not happen on a structured captoe

gbandi

Reaction score
Nope, I went with the same size as with Hiro (9 uk). Hiro does feel snuggier than Negon, besides on the top of my toes, but as mentioned, Negon's unstructured toecap molds to your toes. Next time I am in Madrid I might try Negon in 8.5 just to be sure, but I believe that it will be too short.
I hate that crease on the unstructured toe. Happened to a Loake captoe and looks bad. Think it happens when the shoe is too long and you stand on your toes

RensBerg

Reaction score
They look beautiful! Is this the brown or burgundy heritage cordovan?
Thanks. Did you size down from your Hiro size? From what i hear HOK=ROD=Negon
I have a chelsea in HOK (sized down from HIRO), chelsea in ROD (same size as Hiro w/ insert). They are laceless though.
Het Gbandi. Got a question for you since you have chelsea's in both HOK and ROD last. I have a ROD chelsea myself which in the beginning quickly started to become uncomfortable (chafing the smaller toes). I decided to leave out the insert and now the boots fit fine, albeit still slightly narrow near the toebox. Would you say the ROD last without insert fits the same as your HOK chelsea's?

I am thinking of getting a negon last boot. It's said to slightly roomier then the HOK. So now I am wondering if I should size up halve a size from my ROD last or trust that the negon is more roomy.

gbandi

Reaction score
They look beautiful! Is this the brown or burgundy heritage cordovan?

Het Gbandi. Got a question for you since you have chelsea's in both HOK and ROD last. I have a ROD chelsea myself which in the beginning quickly started to become uncomfortable (chafing the smaller toes). I decided to leave out the insert and now the boots fit fine, albeit still slightly narrow near the toebox. Would you say the ROD last without insert fits the same as your HOK chelsea's?

I am thinking of getting a negon last boot. It's said to slightly roomier then the HOK. So now I am wondering if I should size up halve a size from my ROD last or trust that the negon is more roomy.

gbandi

Reaction score
My Hok is 1.5 size down from brannock and rod is 1 down and fits the same with inserts. Without inserts you can go 1.5down. Ordered Negon same size as Hok

RensBerg

Reaction score
My Hok is 1.5 size down from brannock and rod is 1 down and fits the same with inserts. Without inserts you can go 1.5down. Ordered Negon same size as Hok
Thanks for the info Gbandi. I am tempted to try halve a size up, since my current ROD's without insole are still a bit narrow. However, maybe it was the right choice for a chelsea boot, since you lack the option of tying the laces for a tighter fit.
Thanks! These are burgundy color
Oh wow. Didn't expect that! The burgundy option looks so much darker on the website, whereas the brown option looks a tad lighter. I am jealous of your MTO captoe. They only offer the plain-toe burgundy right now. Could you share a few more pictures of your boots in different lighting? No hurries though.

Zan-san

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Gbandi. I am tempted to try halve a size up, since my current ROD's without insole are still a bit narrow. However, maybe it was the right choice for a chelsea boot, since you lack the option of tying the laces for a tighter fit.

Oh wow. Didn't expect that! The burgundy option looks so much darker on the website, whereas the brown option looks a tad lighter. I am jealous of your MTO captoe. They only offer the plain-toe burgundy right now. Could you share a few more pictures of your boots in different lighting? No hurries though.
Btw you can have thinner insoles from Meermin. I ended up getting the thinnest ones and the fit is almost the same ass HOK. Then a bit of usage and ROD has transformed to really nice fitwise

RensBerg

Reaction score
Btw you can have thinner insoles from Meermin. I ended up getting the thinnest ones and the fit is almost the same ass HOK. Then a bit of usage and ROD has transformed to really nice fitwise
Thanks for the advise, but I don't think it will work. I received two sets of insoles with my ROD chelseas; one of 3mm and one of 5mm thickness. I tried using the 3mm ones for 2 months before giving up. I know Meermin used to sell 1.5mm ones but they have not been available for a long time.

Since the 3mm didn't work, the 5mm were of-course completely redundant. So I ended up stripping the memory foam layer from the leather part with some pliers and a heatgun. Which went surprisingly easily. I then put the leather part of the insole in my boots with some very thin double-sided tape. I don't think you can go any thinner than that. Quite happy with the results ever since.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads