• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

arakeinprogress

Reaction score
Those are great results!

So am I right in understanding that lowering the collar was all that was done to the jacket? It seems to have cleaned it up a lot.

Yep, that's all I did. I didn't want to mess with it too much, but it did have an outsized effect. The suit may have settled a bit too, contributing to the cleaner look.

45bur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm selling a lightly used, unaltered pair of the medium (stonewash) denim in size 32. Asking $150 shipped, DM me if interested.

RickyTakhar

Reaction score
Simon Crompton has just reviewed AI MTM on Permanent Style, and I wonder how people feel about this. Personally, I am considering having a jacket and odd trousers made and overall I find the review reassuring! https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020/09/anglo-italian-made-to-measure-jacket-review.html
A positive review overall. The negatives such as points on make aren't really negative in my mind, as this is not the intention of the offering and will always fall short of high end bespoke.

If you are a fan of the cut then a great offering for sure

LeIdiot

Reaction score
More and more, I struggle to see how objective Simon Crompton's MTM reviews really are. Despite his attempts to be transparent, he isn't. Die Workwear is a lot better with that.

There is no way he actually paid for that jacket. Given the market in which AI operates, a freebie to generate interest and sales is an absolute no brainer from a commercial perspective. That's all well and good, but just be clear because customers want to make an informed decision.

The AI style is particular and I would probably shy away from these old English muted combos and go for something boring like navy.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about his review did you not find transparent? I don't think he ever claimed that he paid for the jacket. I expect that he doesn't pay for most of the items he reviews, but his editorial policy does state that he receives free products and discounts but that it has no bearing on the review. Whether you believe that or not is up to you, but I do think he is clear in that respect.

I don't have any experience with AI tailoring but I thought he highlighted both its strengths and weaknesses.

Cuebert

Reaction score
Stylish folks,

anybody here that own the AIC Denim Jeans, maybe even in their light wash? If so: how is the quality and what do you pair it with? Can you maybe even provide a picture of the fit?

Normaly buying my denim from Blackhorses Lane I am now specifically looking for a good quality light wash jeans with a medium to high rise, but these are quite hard to find as it turns out.

LeIdiot

Reaction score
What about his review did you not find transparent? I don't think he ever claimed that he paid for the jacket. I expect that he doesn't pay for most of the items he reviews, but his editorial policy does state that he receives free products and discounts but that it has no bearing on the review. Whether you believe that or not is up to you, but I do think he is clear in that respect.

I don't have any experience with AI tailoring but I thought he highlighted both its strengths and weaknesses.

His editorial policy is a fudge and could go further; it is PR dressed up as critical authorship and expertise. I have no problem with him receiving discounts for commissions or being on the payroll of certain shops he refers to, or endorses; he is running a successful business.

I agree that he evaluated the strengths and weaknesses of the jacket in question, but focussed too much on style as opposed to value for money relative to construction. And it is the latter point on which I feel a lot of new, young, uninformed customers would want to be reassured when making their first plunge. Or maybe they just want to look like the reincarnation of the Duke of Windsor nursing a negroni...

For what it's worth, I like some of their tessuti fabrics and the lazy DBs!

RickyTakhar

Reaction score
Stylish folks,

anybody here that own the AIC Denim Jeans, maybe even in their light wash? If so: how is the quality and what do you pair it with? Can you maybe even provide a picture of the fit?

Normaly buying my denim from Blackhorses Lane I am now specifically looking for a good quality light wash jeans with a medium to high rise, but these are quite hard to find as it turns out.
I own a pair of the medium wash. I also own a pair of the black horse lane NW1's so can give a reasonable comparison.

The AIC denim is very good quality, the wash might even be unique to AIC. I have had them for nearly 3 years now and they have worn on well, they are more dressy than the BLA so I tend to wear them with tailoring, but of course they can be worn with anything.

The fabric is much lighter and less stiff than BLA, also the rise is medium. The fit is slim for me, but depends on which BLA model you have, also you won't get any fading etc as they are pre washed.

Finally the price imo is quite high when compared to BLA, you are paying most likely for the unique wash rather than denim quality. Dare I say the BLA construction and denim is a step above in my honest opinion.

But if the style works and you don't mind the high price then I would recommend them as a second pair. Lately I have been thinking about getting a vintage pair of 501's from places like Marrkt or Broadway and sons.

Shetterd

Reaction score
His editorial policy is a fudge and could go further; it is PR dressed up as critical authorship and expertise. I have no problem with him receiving discounts for commissions or being on the payroll of certain shops he refers to, or endorses; he is running a successful business.

I agree that he evaluated the strengths and weaknesses of the jacket in question, but focussed too much on style as opposed to value for money relative to construction. And it is the latter point on which I feel a lot of new, young, uninformed customers would want to be reassured when making their first plunge. Or maybe they just want to look like the reincarnation of the Duke of Windsor nursing a negroni...

For what it's worth, I like some of their tessuti fabrics and the lazy DBs!

FWIW, I have found Simon can be imprecise on this particular subject.

He himself wrote in 2017 of AI jackets: "There is lots of handwork...most usefully of all, a hand-padded lapel." He also wrote that the jackets cost "around £990". (Link)

In 2020, I asked him about the former, and he said he never claimed they were hand-padded. That, he said, had been AI's plan, but had been dropped (in comments here). Separately, he said he could not comment on price increases (in comments here), when it appears he did know what the prices were (or what prices were planned) when AI opened.

(Edit just to say that neither of this is a judgment as to whether AI tailoring is worth the money or not, on which I cannot comment.)

Last edited:

Cuebert

Reaction score
I own a pair of the medium wash. I also own a pair of the black horse lane NW1's so can give a reasonable comparison.

The AIC denim is very good quality, the wash might even be unique to AIC. I have had them for nearly 3 years now and they have worn on well, they are more dressy than the BLA so I tend to wear them with tailoring, but of course they can be worn with anything.

The fabric is much lighter and less stiff than BLA, also the rise is medium. The fit is slim for me, but depends on which BLA model you have, also you won't get any fading etc as they are pre washed.

Finally the price imo is quite high when compared to BLA, you are paying most likely for the unique wash rather than denim quality. Dare I say the BLA construction and denim is a step above in my honest opinion.

But if the style works and you don't mind the high price then I would recommend them as a second pair. Lately I have been thinking about getting a vintage pair of 501's from places like Marrkt or Broadway and sons.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. Sounds like your looking for something very similar: a high quality, light wash denim. Whats makes you consider vintage, e.g Marrkt or Broadway and Sons for a light wash instead of AI?

RickyTakhar

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. Sounds like your looking for something very similar: a high quality, light wash denim. Whats makes you consider vintage, e.g Marrkt or Broadway and Sons for a light wash instead of AI?
Style and price.

As I say I have AI mid wash, but it is quite slim for me.

Im quite fond of the character of vintage jeans, with fading and whiskers. Also I do like a slightly more vintage straight fit.

I'm UK based so went in-store to try AI, the service was great. Not sure if you can do the same?

solaro23

Reaction score
Style and price.

As I say I have AI mid wash, but it is quite slim for me.

Im quite fond of the character of vintage jeans, with fading and whiskers. Also I do like a slightly more vintage straight fit.

I'm UK based so went in-store to try AI, the service was great. Not sure if you can do the same?

Similar search here, jeans are difficult to get right, or perhaps they are not supposed to be right?

I am not sure about the contrasted side stitching on the AI but the washes look excellent. I would be after some of the Orslow light wash but they have yet to introduce longer lengths.

garigo

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have been watching closely the AI denim because of the higher rise and not so slim fit: for someone that is 185 cm tall and usually wears a 50 or 52 in trousers, which inseam and waist size would you recommend?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdp