• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

P12OFIT

Reaction score
It's crazy that Carmina are currently cheaper than Allen Edmonds. While I have exclusively AE, the rising prices are making other makers more enticing. The 2nd deals are their main pull now.

I got my two pairs of AEs for $308 (black PAs) and $212.50 (burgundy JAB Fifth Avenues), but I agree that at $385, Carmina at $339ish seems to be a no-brainer.

I was just thinking this earlier today. I don't plan on making another purchase until September but if prices stay as is, Carmina will surely be in the running.

Last edited:

menswhere

Reaction score
Anyone know if/when the 2 for $250 seconds sale will occur next? The discussion on their change in pricing is hard to parse since it goes back pretty far, but I get the sense theirs some concern they'll stop doing these.

I was thinking of getting some Graysons, but I'd hold off if I can get them cheaper along with another pair. On that note, open to suggestions if anyone's in love with some other AEs (I already have strands and Mora 2.0s...).

Thanks, fellas!

Fifthand

Reaction score
Posted these elsewhere but meant to post them here. Took me a couple weeks to get the Eagle River to my standards. The Strands are my favorite AE shoe.

Wow. Did you use a neutral cream on those? I used a light brown Meltonian and mine turned out much different that yours.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that Carminas are nice look and have handled a few pairs but yet to buy....I am wearing more boots than shoes and really almost all of Carminas boots are pointy toed not full rounded...of which I don't need more.I came to AE originally as a made in the USA product and while I have strayed out to a few Vibergs, Vass, Alfred Sargent and I am sure at some point Edward Green will make an appearance.....Alden and AE will remain my main shoe and boot providers due to their made in the USA status....I even use that to justify my MTO purchases which are full constructed in the USA.

garland

Reaction score

RichieP

Reaction score

It's crazy that Carmina are currently cheaper than Allen Edmonds. While I have exclusively AE, the rising prices are making other makers more enticing. The 2nd deals are their main pull now.

For calf...I picked up two pairs of Alfred Sargents for $400 this year which are far superior to AEs for less than AE + sales tax.  In my opinion, Alfred Sargents on sale are a great value, but that's not fair comparing full retail in one brand to a sale price of another.  AE doesn't have that tight, beveled waist, attractive lasts and oak bark tanned soles...yeah...:inlove:  

One other thing to consider regarding these brands is the recent rise of the U.S. dollar. Six months ago, it cost you about $1.35 to get one Euro. Now it costs $1.17. That's roughly a 14% discount. The British pound is similarly discounted by 10% compared to last year.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One other thing to consider regarding these brands is the recent rise of the U.S. dollar. Six months ago, it cost you about $1.35 to get one Euro. Now it costs $1.17. That's roughly a 14% discount. The British pound is similarly discounted by 10% compared to last year.

Yup. I actually purchased most of my British shoes in the fall of 2014 so the dollar wasn't quite as strong, but like I said, I got them on sale and using codes.

This is really a great time for Carmina's, but English shoes are still about $450~500 at full retail even with the strong dollar.

My speculation is that the price of calf may stay steady for AE since they purchase from European tanneries (also speculating) while European makers might be raising their prices, especially on shell Cordovan due to the weak euro. If AE raises prices again this year on calf, it would be a sign that management doesn't understand their value proposition.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I think AE purchases most of their leather from Horween...of course Horween purchases from European companies for raw product....and I can be completely wrong it is just what I had in my brain for some reason. AE may indeed source from European tanneries....would actually like to know that now that you sparked my interest.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think AE purchases most of their leather from Horween...of course Horween purchases from European companies for raw product....and I can be completely wrong it is just what I had in my brain for some reason. AE may indeed source from European tanneries....would actually like to know that now that you sparked my interest.

I'm like 95% sure they get their calf from European sources, not sure if horween is the importer.

Last edited:

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyone know if/when the 2 for $250 seconds sale will occur next? The discussion on their change in pricing is hard to parse since it goes back pretty far, but I get the sense theirs some concern they'll stop doing these.

I was thinking of getting some Graysons, but I'd hold off if I can get them cheaper along with another pair. On that note, open to suggestions if anyone's in love with some other AEs (I already have strands and Mora 2.0s...).

Thanks, fellas!

2 for $250 is no more but the last was 2 for $300. However are only on closeout models. Which Grayson's and Mora 2.0s usually aren't. If you filter by closeouts those are typically included. However with most being discounted already to around $150 my SA wasn't sure if they'd do it again. Unless to clear out inventory. Hopefully they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads