• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdpappy

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 10E in the JAB version of the 5th avenue called the Nathan, which is on the 8 last. I really want to get a pair of the Strands in Brown Cordovan. Do you think a 10E might work or should I try 10EE? I tried a 10EEE on the carlyle once and it was way too wide.

Thanks!!!

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should I get AE Player's Shoes or McGregors for the upcoming sale? Looks like Player Shoes will be like $20 cheaper. Doing walnut for both -- would like something business casual, potentially work with a suit but more for slacks/blazer looks. Any reason I should be considering one over the other besides price?
Absolutely agree! To put it bluntly, the two last stinks. Haven't seen or tried the McGregor. It seems odd to use the five last on a longwing blucher. The five last is classically used with AE's iconic oxford/balmorals. I'm curious though.
I think the 2 last looks great but is the hardest to get the right size and for that it does stink. However the RL models I have, Saunders chukka and Sanderson longwing are both really sharp. I imagine the McGregor is like the Sanderson: sleek(ish) lasted longwing with a flat welt. It's definitely kind of an paradox to have a sleek LWB, but for some reason it's one of my favorites. Also, I've increasingly found walnut to be hard to pair. I think if you go with the MacGregor, you'll find that the brown or dark chili to be more versatile, especially with a suit.

menswhere

Reaction score
I think the 2 last looks great but is the hardest to get the right size and for that it does stink. However the RL models I have, Saunders chukka and Sanderson longwing are both really sharp.

I imagine the McGregor is like the Sanderson: sleek(ish) lasted longwing with a flat welt. It's definitely kind of an paradox to have a sleek LWB, but for some reason it's one of my favorites.

Also, I've increasingly found walnut to be hard to pair. I think if you go with the MacGregor, you'll find that the brown or dark chili to be more versatile, especially with a suit.

I actually think I've had a change of heart -- I just can't get too excited about longwings. I'm in love with my strands in bourbon, and considering the brooks brothers version is down to $150 right now, I think a walnut strand might be the way to go. Every other option is either way more expensive, or they seem to have limitations in what I wear every day the strands just don't. That dumb? Your comment about walnut makes me think I might be going down the wrong path though. Thanks again my man.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually think I've had a change of heart -- I just can't get too excited about longwings. I'm in love with my strands in bourbon, and considering the brooks brothers version is down to $150 right now, I think a walnut strand might be the way to go. Every other option is either way more expensive, or they seem to have limitations in what I wear every day the strands just don't. That dumb? Your comment about walnut makes me think I might be going down the wrong path though. Thanks again my man.

No problem man. Some people love walnut, some don't. Depends on the situation for me. Also, there may be inventory in your size of the Brooks brothers Macneils which are longwings. Likely doesn't go as well with a suit, but great for chinos and jeans.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently it is all Tom Watson's fault and not the players', including Keegan.
smile.gif

The boots are innocent.
The boots are certainly innocent. I just meant that given Keegan's performance, he wouldn't be a source of inspiration for me. I'm not a huge fan of his; I think he's mostly hot air (sorry if this is offending anyone here; I hate losing to the euros!).

As for Tom Watson, while he may be a childhood hero of mine, I think the dynamics of managing, coaching, and leading team USA (and choosing his captain's picks) flew way over his head. He looked like a clueless old man. In the end, he did not swing a club and our guys just weren't as good as Europe's.

Sorry to go off on this tangent; still pretty ticked off...
baldy[1].gif

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have a 10E in the JAB version of the 5th avenue called the Nathan, which is on the 8 last. I really want to get a pair of the Strands in Brown Cordovan. Do you think a 10E might work or should I try 10EE? I tried a 10EEE on the carlyle once and it was way too wide.

Thanks!!!

I think you should go with burgundy cordovan for the Strand. We're floating the idea on the MTO thread.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on the fence about the Hanover wholecut ad $160 for seconds ain't bad, but I can't get over the three eyelet configuration. It looks like there's plenty of room for two extra eyelets.

Does anyone know if it's possible for a cobbler to add blind eyelets on a shoe?

lemmy127

Reaction score

I've been on the fence about the Hanover wholecut ad $160 for seconds ain't bad, but I can't get over the three eyelet configuration. It looks like there's plenty of room for two extra eyelets.

I can't answer you question but this is also the exact reason why I can't bring myself to buying them. It looks so off with only 3.

lemmy127

Reaction score

It's totally a personal aesthetic thing. Some guys find walnut to be a color that has a really narrow range for matching to pants/suits because they don't like stark contrasts. So they only like to pair walnut with colors on the khaki spectrum (stone, tan, etc.) and with light grays. On the other hand, guys like me feel perfectly fine pairing walnut with blues, navys, and medium grays too.

seahawks506

Reaction score
Anyone get this miscommunication the first time they ordered from AE?
They shipped to my billing address instead of shipping address even though i told her it was different. She did redirect the package through Fedex but I didn't receive my boots even though the tracker said they delivered.
Now I'm stuck with no boots, filed a delivery dispute with fedex but power is not in my hands. Wish me luck guys :(

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does any one have the RL and BB list in 8.5D and 8E for shoebank? Tried to ask from Shoeabnk but haven't received anything yet.

nickatpsu

Reaction score

No problem man. Some people love walnut, some don't. Depends on the situation for me. Also, there may be inventory in your size of the Brooks brothers Macneils which are longwings. Likely doesn't go as well with a suit, but great for chinos and jeans.

Agree. $149 BB Macneil in Chili Grain is available when I checked my size yesterday. Might fit the bill. I wear Walnut Grain Macneils with chinos and jeans regularly, but I would prefer the chili since it's a bit darker.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely yes. But it ultimately depends on the shoe with factors like available room and geometry. Blind eyelets are easier because it removes the matching issue. Check with Nick V. at B. Nelson.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone get this miscommunication the first time they ordered from AE? 
They shipped to my billing address instead of shipping address even though i told her it was different. She did redirect the package through Fedex but I didn't receive my boots even though the tracker said they delivered.
Now I'm stuck with no boots, filed a delivery dispute with fedex but power is not in my hands. Wish me luck guys :( 

No, but I goofed once by giving an incorrect address (I basically merged my office and home address). I received a shipping notification email and saw my error. I called AE and they redirected the package sucessfully. Good luck with your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads