• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
Am I the only one who vastly prefers Oxfords to Derbys?

My preference depends on the situation. I do like both (though I think I like Bluchers/Derbys better and I also think they are more versatile), but as a rule of thumb, I prefer Bals when I am dressing up, and Bluchers when I am dressing down.

tampatravel

Reaction score
BOOM! Some RenoMat and a very very light dusting of some Alden Paste Wax. These really pop now when they used to just look pedestrian.

delmar

Reaction score
That Red/Brown Finch is tempting for under $150 firsts.... hmmmmm.

I have a pair of tan/navy Finch and I get more compliments from women on that pair than any other pair of shoes that I own. What I think it is, is that women around my age and older--women over 45 years old--associate saddle shoes with cheerleaders. Something about saddle shoes just resonates with women. I'd get them if I were you.

BigRob

Reaction score
Just bought the AE Bayfield in Burnished Brown from Lands' End.

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-allen-edmonds-bayfield-captoe-boots/id_228873

How should I protect these boots? I plan to wear them to work when it rains/snows. The upper is made out of chromexcel leather (at least, I think it is - the site does not specify and I'm assuming all Bayfields are the same). AE Aqua-Care Cream, which AE recommends for the boot, seems to have been discontinued; it's not sold on the website. I found some third party sites selling it, though.

Also, is it worth it to buy a pair of boot trees or will AE shoe trees do the trick?

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Adam,

I live in the same conditions as you. I go with the commando style sole as it is very low profile and I feel performs much better than a leather sole in icy conditions. For me a leather sole gets slick and doesnt provide much traction. As for calf vs. shell, my preference is shell as I find salt much easier to wipe clean but that is totally your call.

I have these in navy and think they are a must for navigating NE winters...
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SFCLBROWN_1_40000000001_-1

Chromexcel (like the Bayfields you are eyeing) will be good, as will shell. Generally, I recommend rubber overshoes or boots if its going to be really bad, I generally keep a pair with me. Calf is ok, but you need to keep a nice coat of polish on them to provide protection.

As far as soles, I recommend overshoes or some sort of rubberized sole if you are going to be sloshing around. The leather soles will wear out more quickly if they get wet and won't provide much in the way of traction in snow.

Thank you. Maybe I'll just go with some kind of overshoe and then not have to really worry about it too much. That way if I go for the Dalton, I don't need to get a custom sole. I do still want something like the Bayfields for the days when I'm going meeting to meeting or to dinner/drinks and just don't want to mess with overshoes. Since Lands End seems to be the only place that sells them still, I went to their website and searched for retail locations near me and all I got was Sears. I popped into one of them today quickly and didn't see them selling any Lands End shoes - just some linens and other clothes.

Any way to try these things on? Maybe I'll just order and return if they don't fit. I wear 8E in the 1-last and recently tried on a pair of Dalton at Nordstrom in 8.5D and they were big. However, I understand that the Bayfield has the poron insole that makes them fit more snug. I wonder if 8.5D would fit me in this case?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you. Maybe I'll just go with some kind of overshoe and then not have to really worry about it too much. That way if I go for the Dalton, I don't need to get a custom sole. I do still want something like the Bayfields for the days when I'm going meeting to meeting or to dinner/drinks and just don't want to mess with overshoes. Since Lands End seems to be the only place that sells them still, I went to their website and searched for retail locations near me and all I got was Sears. I popped into one of them today quickly and didn't see them selling any Lands End shoes - just some linens and other clothes.

Any way to try these things on? Maybe I'll just order and return if they don't fit. I wear 8E in the 1-last and recently tried on a pair of Dalton at Nordstrom in 8.5D and they were big. However, I understand that the Bayfield has the poron insole that makes them fit more snug. I wonder if 8.5D would fit me in this case?

I wear an 8E in the Dalton and an 8.5 in the Bayfield. I prefer the fit of the 8E slightly but the 8.5D with the poron insole is a good fit and should work well for you

AdamAdam

Reaction score

I wear an 8E in the Dalton and an 8.5 in the Bayfield. I prefer the fit of the 8E slightly but the 8.5D with the poron insole is a good fit and should work well for you

Cool, lots in common then. Maybe I'll try the 8.5 and if it doesn't work I can always return them. If you don't mind me asking, what size are you on the 5 last? I'm 7.5EE and even think I could go that size on the 1 but 8E works.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Congrats, d/d. The Daltons are one of my favorite boots so I have a few of them except for the choco ones. Lookin' good. Enjoy!

Edit: Wait, are those the burgundy shell? I think they are. My apologies. Still lookin' good (maybe even better now!).
Yea...crappy i-phone pic. Still though, I need to work them out and lighten them up a bit.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought the AE Bayfield in Burnished Brown from Lands' End.

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-allen-edmonds-bayfield-captoe-boots/id_228873

How should I protect these boots? I plan to wear them to work when it rains/snows. The upper is made out of chromexcel leather (at least, I think it is - the site does not specify and I'm assuming all Bayfields are the same). AE Aqua-Care Cream, which AE recommends for the boot, seems to have been discontinued; it's not sold on the website. I found some third party sites selling it, though.

Also, is it worth it to buy a pair of boot trees or will AE shoe trees do the trick?

Only the brown Bayfield is made of CXL. CXL is a very resilient form of leather that will stand up to nearly everything you throw at it. Check out Cold Iron's pictures of his pair to see what I mean.
All you really need to take care of the uppers are polish (AE's polish or brown Kiwi wax will be fine) and a horsehair brush (if you do not already have one). At the end of the day or when you get to work, wipe off any snow/salt/mud etc. off the uppers of the boot.

I use shoe trees in my boots and they do the trick; but it does leave the shaft of the boot wrinkly from normal wear. If that bothers you, feel free to get a boot tree.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
Recently there was some discussion regarding black shell, and why anyone would want black shell. They have an amazing luster to them. I work my black shell park aves yesterday and shot a iphone pic. I meant to post yesterday but forgot till just now. I love my black shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads