• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sanded the edge off my ebay vintage burgundy shell macneils and then used the neutral AE edge trim, mottled with some chili edge trim, and I love the results.

I've been monitoring the 'bay for a couple of years waiting for burgundy shell gunboats to pop up in my size; I hope when I eventually get them that they look even half as good as yours. Well done!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally received my cordovan Dundees:

It looks more like brown cordovan than truffle, but it still looks nice. All the details were as i asked, poron insole, natural outsole, level heels.

Wow those turned out great! Too nice to hide in a spoiler, Congrats. I am still waiting on mine in truffle Dundee's.

Just for kicks, Vinci's in the wild:

A bit of vamp creasing, but they fit spot on, and they take a good shine. Excuse the trouser shortness, i was taking my own picture
shog[1].gif

Oh that is rubbing salt into the wound, I really wished I would have thought to keep mine during the 2 for $200 sale and just sent them back for a resole. Outstanding.

Guys if any one is offend I will pull this right away but I have such respect for you gentleman I would love some advice please.
What's the thought on the red wing boots beckman. This one in cigar

I have the black cherry Beckman, 9011 IIRC. As catside said be careful of the sizing. I ended up with a 9.5 and I normally take a 10 in AE. The featherstone leather takes awhile to break in. When new they can take awhile to put on and take off which was a pain. The tread however is amazing and it works very well for the winter. I was wearing mine last night with jeans when I stopped to see my son at his place for a few minutes and as I was leaving he said nice shoes. Stopped me in my tracks, he has never said anything before about any of my footwear. They do make everything AE look very sleek in comparison. When a lady I've been seeing for awhile first saw me wearing them she commented how much they made me look like I just got off a shift up on the Iron Range or a loading dock on the North Shore. Not sure if that was good or bad, I do like them though I like the fit and overall look of the 1K 744 a little bit better.

Michael Haines

Reaction score

Wow those turned out great! Too nice to hide in a spoiler, Congrats. I am still waiting on
mine in truffle Dundee's.

Oh that is rubbing salt into the wound, I really wished I would have thought to keep mine during the 2 for $200 sale and just sent them back for a resole. Outstanding.

I have the black cherry Beckman, 9011 IIRC. As catside said be careful of the sizing. I ended up with a 9.5 and I normally take a 10 in AE. The featherstone leather takes awhile to break in. When new they can take awhile to put on and take off which was a pain. The tread however is amazing and it works very well for the winter. I was wearing mine last night with jeans when I stopped to see my son at his place for a few minutes and as I was leaving he said nice shoes. Stopped me in my tracks, he has never said anything before about any of my footwear. They do make everything AE look very sleek in comparison. When a lady I've been seeing for awhile first saw me wearing them she commented how much they made me look like I just got off a shift up on the Iron Range or a loading dock on the North Shore. Not sure if that was good or bad, I do like them though I like the fit and overall look of the 1K 744  a little bit better. 

Actually cold iron was thinking of the black cherry to compliment a pair of 744 I have Jeff sending me.

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
Hmmm. I emailed Jay on the 12th and still have no response. Does anyone know whether he prefers PMs?

mattcritchlow

Reaction score
I second this...Jay was very prompt and easy to work with. Due to the time difference (I'm in Germany and he's in Charleston) we worked everything out via email and now my new boots are on the way! Will post pics once they arrive. Also, don't forget to leave feedback on AE's website. (744 LTD boots)

Also, Kristle from Jeffersonville was just as prompt and easy to work with. (Krause boots)

Definitely will contact them after the holiday season dies down...

I'll third this. Excellent customer service, knowledgeable and patient. He helped me find a great pair of brown Clifton seconds. He's definitely won my AE business going forward.

GentlemanJohnny

Reaction score
Hmmm. I emailed Jay on the 12th and still have no response. Does anyone know whether he prefers PMs?
Not sure but he emailed me earlier today so he may just be swamped....between the positive mentions on this site and walk-in customers I assume he may be a little swamped - especially with the holidays right around the corner...

ElDave

Reaction score

do i need to mention the sad state of your jeans?

I am a bit of a stickler regarding balmorals being dress shoes and thus not fit for wearing with jeans.

That aside, those jeans are awful.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sanded the edge off my ebay vintage burgundy shell macneils and then used the neutral AE edge trim, mottled with some chili edge trim, and I love the results. Granted, I bought the shoes for $45, but it worked out great. You might consider taking some tape and protecting the bottom of the leather upper while sanding the trim so that you don't scratch while sanding. It's easy to do. I don't think I worried about the top of the welt.

Pics.

PK, thanks for sharing. Not sure if your post was in response to my earlier post about considering doing the same to my Daltons, but your experience and pics are excellent input and help in my decision process.

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my walnut cordovan strands. Pretty nice looking shoes, although have to admit they look more similar in color to my brown cordovans than I expected.

Can't complain though, b/c my brown cordovan strands are my most worn shoes. Also, for some reason my walnut cordovans don't have a "seconds" stamp even though I thought they were seconds, and there is no appreciable defect I can find. :D

dancingbear

Reaction score
Truffle McAllister question for those of you that have them:

I had my local store bring them in for me. Like most stock shells from AE that I have seen, the finish a bit dull, but I could really see the potential. However there was far more appearance of burnishing and some streaking than I would have imagined. Especially along the sides. Is that normal for these or could that be the reason these are still around?

bucksfan

Reaction score
I don't have any direct experience with truffle, but I do with walnut, brown, burgundy and black shell from AE. The shell comes from the factory with a haze of oils over it. A good brushing will get rid of this, and it will re-appear any time you don't wear them for a while. It's just the excess oil coming to the surface.

As for surface burnishing, it's difficult to say without seeing them, but I will say it is unlikely that it will change dramatically with time or care.

If they are size 12D or 11.5E, however, you will definitely want to send them back and alert me... or just send them to me and I'll settle up with AE directly.
biggrin.gif

0ShinAkuma0

Reaction score
I am a bit of a stickler regarding balmorals being dress shoes and thus not fit for wearing with jeans.
That aside, those jeans are awful.

Gotta strongly disagree with you on this particular case, while you're right as a rule of thumb, it is definitely not the case for all shoes and all situations.
It is especially not true regarding the Neumok, if there was ever a balmoral that was meant for jeans, it is the Neumok. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they'd look a bit weird in slacks. This being especially true with the Blue/Red/Olive Neumoks.
By the way, Michael Haines, those are some very nice Neumoks you have there.

On a side note, I bought those shoe trees on sale from Jos.A.Bank for 7.50$, they sadly stretched out my Neumoks, they're unusable right now (the shoe trees, not the neumok). But as luck has it, I found some Alden XL shoe trees for 15$ at a consignment shop. Fits like a charm, slides snugly in while not stretching the leather. I really lucked out.

Please forgive the iPhone pic quality, it really doesn't do the rich navy blue justice, sadly.

Here are my Navy Neumoks today with (extremely) dark brown Levi's, my favorite combination with these shoes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads