• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wait until you have multiple pair of $1000 shoes sitting in your closet waiting to be worn for the first time!

Haha, maybe.

I only started paying attention to my shoes maybe about 5 months ago, and I've already bought 3 pairs of AE, and a Wolverine 1K Mile, all on sale.

I don't really intend to buy anymore right now, as I'd rather spend on other parts of my wardrobe, but I'd have to have a lot more than I do now to only get 2 wears a month out of one. But to each their own; sorry if it was a loaded question.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha, maybe.
I only started paying attention to my shoes maybe about 5 months ago, and I've already bought 3 pairs of AE, and a Wolverine 1K Mile, all on sale.
I don't really intend to buy anymore right now, as I'd rather spend on other parts of my wardrobe, but I'd have to have a lot more than I do now to only get 2 wears a month out of one. But to each their own; sorry if it was a loaded question.

I can relate but after about 10 years since I started buying 'quality' shoes, I now have a fair collection. I have 4-5 work balmorals that get fair usage and other dress shoes for variety.

Honestly, I do also have shoes for 'hobby' which are my Alden shell cordovans. I wear them regularly but I also view them as collection pieces.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
althanis, I understand where you are coming from. I am re-building my wardrobe and have to split my budget between shoes, suits, dress shirts, ties, jeans, sport coats, etc. Otherwise, I'd have more shoes myself. But the advice I received was, if you only have $600 to spend on clothes, spend half of it on shoes. Better yet, spend all of it on shoes. Shoes are the foundation. Literally, it's the platform on which you build your wardrobe. Best of luck.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
Since everyone on SF loves the walnut stands, I'd like to hear from people how they wear them. I wear my walnut Strands as an everyday shoe (my typical dress is that of a typical IVY league student). They are a a little scuffed and beat up and you can see some evidence of wear when looking at them. How does everyone else wear their Strands?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TKE, can you post some pics of your shoes. I'm curious about the wear and tear. It might actually add some character to the shoes, at least in a college setting.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TKE, can you post some pics of your shoes.  I'm curious about the wear and tear.  It might actually add some character to the shoes, at least in a college setting.

I wear mine to class probably every other week or so and routinely get compliments.

Pastor

Reaction score
I wear my walnut strands only with suits. Usually either dark brown or navy suits. I have some Alden tobacco LWB (from J Crew) that are very similar in color to the Strands and I wear those only for casual shoes. I'm think about getting a pair of the Strands in brown shell next time I see them on sale.

Cahrin

Reaction score
Anyone Neumok owners out there care to comment on the quality, fit, etc? Like the look, not sure on the quality and such.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am likewise interested in the Neumok. The AE store did not have any to try on while I was there, but the SA stated that they run a little tighter than other shoes on the #5 last. I am waiting for another chance to try them on. Otherwise, the display shoes looked good in all the colors, very close to the pictures on the AE website.

knezz

Reaction score

Anyone Neumok owners out there care to comment on the quality, fit, etc? Like the look, not sure on the quality and such.

A few pics of my new macneils in burgundy shell. My first shell shoes and the macneil won out over the Alden LWB. I took advantage of the $499 sale price this week. I love the versatility. These were taken just this am with chinos (Bill's Khakis M2) but they work just as well with worsted wool or flannels & a sport coat. I've worn them for a couple of hours on Wed and Thurs. Haven't even brushed yet.

Your McNeils look really good.

just picked up a pair McNeils in shell cordovan and haven’t' taken them out of the box other than to try them on. They aren't as clunky as I feared them to be. They also fit very well. My understanding on the care is to just wear them and after about a dozen wears brush and buff them (no cream or polish)? I've also read that polish shouldn't be used because cordovan isn't as porous as calf and it can clog easily causing issues. I read elsewhere the opposite? I'm trying to figure it out before my first wearing?

Apologies for swinging the thread a bit.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone else here fit differently in AEs on the same last but in balamoral vs blucher? I wear a 9E in the 5 last which fits great in a balamoral like the strand, but a 5 last in a blucher like the kenilworth has a lot more space between the back of the shoe and my heel. I can compensate by tightening the laces on the bluchers more, but was wondering if anyone else notices this.

Yep. I just went through this. My Shelton's (bal) fit great in 12D so I ordered the new Stewart (blucher) in 12D (they are both the same last). Sadly, the Stewarts fit me way too large -- too much heel slippage so they must go back. Argh.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your McNeils look really good.
just picked up a pair McNeils in shell cordovan and haven’t' taken them out of the box other than to try them on. They aren't as clunky as I feared them to be. They also fit very well. My understanding on the care is to just wear them and after about a dozen wears brush and buff them (no cream or polish)? I've also read that polish shouldn't be used because cordovan isn't as porous as calf and it can clog easily causing issues. I read elsewhere the opposite? I'm trying to figure it out before my first wearing?
Apologies for swinging the thread a bit.

I'm with you on the clunky thing. I wanted a non-sleek shoe, something versatile enough to wear with denimn/chinos as well as business attire. I found that I liked the shape of the Macneil more than the Alden LWB (my initial choice).

As for care, I plan to follow a variation of the mac method for my shell. Brush regularly with light coat of saphir renovateur every 15-20 wears. He recommends regular brushing and using wax polish in very small amounts very infrequently. I've brushed them pretty vigorously (10-15 min each) so far.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A couple of quick iphone pics of my custom Walnut Shell Macneil's. The second pic is the Macneil next to my Walnut Calf Dalton's.

Wow!!! Those look fantastic. Do I understand this correctly? They are both walnut shell. The shade is so significantly different it's surprising. Not sure which I like more. They both just look great,

Edited to add:

I was so taken by this image this morning that I'd completely forgotten that I saw it last night in a different thread and commented there as well :) Stunning pair nonetheless. Can't wait to see how they break in and then age over time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads