• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

Thanks for the input! E-mailing back and forth with an associate I think I'll just get the Brooks Brothers Park Avenue in Dark Brown for 199. I'm not able to see the shell in person and if the Brooks Brothers are very similar to the regular shoes I'd rather just save the money. Undecided on the second pair, the sales person suggested Clifton in Walnut as an option for 199.

I actually favor the Brooks Brothers version on some of these shoes over the standard AE's, so I would agree with your decision if you decide to go with calf. I don't have their version of the PA, so I can't comment on that, but the black McTavishes I received from BB have a standard full leather sole, with a half leather dovetail heel (like those found on the Player's shoe or any of the cordovan models).

That said, keep in mind that 1st quality PA's can be had through Nordstrom at the moment for $220 (not sure which colors, but I thought there was at least one shade of brown, along with black), whereas the Brooks Brother's PA's available through the outlets for $199 are usually 2nds.

As for your earlier question about a second pair of shoes, it would probably depend on what you're looking for. If it's strictly for professional dress, I would look at a pair of black PA's and a pair of brown PA's or Fifth Avenue's. If you wanted one to be more formal and the other to be a bit more casual, I would look into black PA's and dark brown Strands or burgundy McCallister's.

Last edited:

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

Where does one buy $300 shell AE's? Please direct me, can not pass that up, lol.

The very same place you asked about on page 508.

I believe the $299 deal has been mentioned in this thread at least a few times this month, but keep in mind these will be 2nd's. Definitely a great deal regardless...I bought three last week.

gooter

Reaction score
Ive emailed the shoebank twice in the last two days with no response. Very weird.

brokencycle

Reaction score

Ive emailed the shoebank twice in the last two days with no response. Very weird. 

If they're backed up, it can take them awhile. I don't think they have someone actively manning the email box, so I think people who call get first dibs.

gooter

Reaction score
I wasnt even aware that you could call the shoebank, I thought it was email only

BKStraggler

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here but I've been browsing through this thread for quite a while and have some questions.

- I just picked up a pair of Park Ave's (black) from Nordstroms, the lady fit me into a size 9 with one foot not fitting as well as the other (both fit very well), should I go to the AE store and have them measure me then attempt to price match while returning the first pair to nordstroms?

- I also noticed some people saying that they didnt get the real deal at nordstroms, I gave my pair a in depth evauluation to the best of my knowledge and couldnt see any problems, is there anything I should look out for?

- should I stick with the Park Ave's as my first "business" pair? I'm interning right now in finance / consulting with hopeful expectations of getting a full time offer after my senior year. Should I go with a more casual pair? Or just bite the bullet and use some more of my internship money on a second different more stylish pair?

Let me know, thanks for all answers in advance!!!

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Macneil, Bradley, Westchester, and Cambridge available in shell on the cheap... must... resist.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, I'm pretty new here but I've been browsing through this thread for quite a while and have some questions.

- I just picked up a pair of Park Ave's (black) from Nordstroms, the lady fit me into a size 9 with one foot not fitting as well as the other (both fit very well), should I go to the AE store and have them measure me then attempt to price match while returning the first pair to nordstroms?

- I also noticed some people saying that they didnt get the real deal at nordstroms, I gave my pair a in depth evauluation to the best of my knowledge and couldnt see any problems, is there anything I should look out for?

- should I stick with the Park Ave's as my first "business" pair?  I'm interning right now in finance / consulting with hopeful expectations of getting a full time offer after my senior year.  Should I go with a more casual pair? Or just bite the bullet and use some more of my internship money on a second different more stylish pair? 

Let me know, thanks for all answers in advance!!!

Go with black pas. They are good for any business situation, especially in finance, and perfect for job interviews. That said, it would probably be the only black shoe I own, but I guess it depends on how formal your workplace is . As 2nd and 3rd pairs I would go with merlot and dark brown

mingus2112

Reaction score

your email must be getting caught in their spam filter or something - i've been emailing back and forth with them for the past few days.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to clarify that, while everyone seems to be having a problem with the Nordstrom sales AEs being 2nd and 3rds, the ones I have are First Quality and not 2nds, 3rds or irregulars.

Wow, that's kind of lame how you are perpetuating a false rumor to make a profit. You of all people know very well that Nordstrom is not selling seconds or thirds of any brand.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, that's kind of lame how you are perpetuating a false rumor to make a profit.  You of all people know very well that Nordstrom is not selling seconds or thirds of any brand.

He didn't make that up; there's a blog around here somewhere claiming that Nordstrom is selling seconds during their sale. I'm sure he was just referring to that.

EDIT: Here's a link to the thread discussing it. http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/7530#post_5609921

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He didn't make that up; there's a blog around here somewhere claiming that Nordstrom is selling seconds during their sale. I'm sure he was just referring to that.
EDIT: Here's a link to the thread discussing it. http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/7530#post_5609921

Yes, I've seen the blog you are referring to, but anyone with any familiarity with Nordstrom or AE knows it is complete non-sense to suggest that Nordstrom is selling seconds. All About Shoes knows it is complete bullshit as well, but is spreading a false rumor for his own profit.

seven7seven

Reaction score

If you have access to the shoes locally, then absolutely.  If you have an AE store, they will order and hold two or three sizes for you to try on in store. 

From your comments, the 11D is too tight over the instep and the 11E is too loose in the heel.  So you can see there how changing one width size can dramatically alter the fit of the shoe.  In terms of size equivalency, the 10.5E/11D/11.5C will be the most similar in fit (the primary difference being the length).  So if the 11D is just a bit tight, then the 11.5C will more closely retain the heel fit while still giving you some extra volume in the box.  At least it will give you a point of reference to the 11E.  Then you can choose between the two.

-Inserts to correct the fit can be problematic and should be avoided  when possible.  However, tongue pads can be very useful for taking up excess volume and tightening the heel.

-Stretching is also problematic as the degree of stretch is limited.  I have tried stretching at home and at the cobbler shop.  It works for some, but not for me.

-You can find a #5 last that fits.  It takes time and patience.  I must have tried eight different sizes before settling.  Even then, you should remember that calf fits a bit differently than shell cordovan and the waxy leathers such as those found on the "Rough" line.

Best of luck.

Thanks again for your help, 11.5C arrived in mail today and the fit seems to be perfect!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads