• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question about sizing for the rough line, specifically the McTavish and the Elgin.

I'm planning on making my next AE purchase either the McTavish or the Elgin (still undecided on which, but leaning towards the Elgin). I've read (on AE's site and on here) that the McTavish tends to run up to a full size longer than usual (I've seen people say size down an entire size for this shoe). They're both made on the same last, so I assume the same is true for the Elgin? FWIW, I wear a 9.5 EEE in the Delray (My actual foot is probably closer truly to a 9D or 9E, but I use custom-made orthotics from my physical therapist which make the shoes even more comfy). Anyway, the 9.5EEE in the Delray is great for me. I also own the Fairfax . . . unfortunately I could not find a 9.5EEE in the Chili color so I bought a 10D which fits ok with my orthotics but is a little snug in the forefoot, but was able to try on a 9.5EEE in the black version which felt perfect with the orthotic. So, In both of these shoes (which I believe are made on 8 and 5 lasts, respectively), my sizing seems consistent.

That said, what size would I want in a McTavish/Elgin? Would I really want an 8.5?? And is there any correcting for width? 8.5EEE? I'm pretty unsure about this, and unfortunately I don't live anywhere remotely close to an AE store (my previous purchases have been via ebay and Nordstrom rack).

Suggestions?

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
I have a question about sizing for the rough line, specifically the McTavish and the Elgin.

I'm planning on making my next AE purchase either the McTavish or the Elgin (still undecided on which, but leaning towards the Elgin). I've read (on AE's site and on here) that the McTavish tends to run up to a full size longer than usual (I've seen people say size down an entire size for this shoe). They're both made on the same last, so I assume the same is true for the Elgin? FWIW, I wear a 9.5 EEE in the Delray (My actual foot is probably closer truly to a 9D or 9E, but I use custom-made orthotics from my physical therapist which make the shoes even more comfy). Anyway, the 9.5EEE in the Delray is great for me. I also own the Fairfax . . . unfortunately I could not find a 9.5EEE in the Chili color so I bought a 10D which fits ok with my orthotics but is a little snug in the forefoot, but was able to try on a 9.5EEE in the black version which felt perfect with the orthotic. So, In both of these shoes (which I believe are made on 8 and 5 lasts, respectively), my sizing seems consistent.

That said, what size would I want in a McTavish/Elgin? Would I really want an 8.5?? And is there any correcting for width? 8.5EEE? I'm pretty unsure about this, and unfortunately I don't live anywhere remotely close to an AE store (my previous purchases have been via ebay and Nordstrom rack).

Suggestions?

I have the McTavish and it's sized the same as my other AE's (14 EEE). Fit is a bit looser than, say, the Park Avenue (built on the same last) but not enough to size down.

spitshine123

Reaction score

Suggestions?

I measure a true 8.5D on the brannock and am a good fit for the 5 last in 8.5D. The LaSalles (on the same last as the Delray) felt way too tight for me in the toebox, as it was shorter and narrower than the 5 last.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I measure a true 8.5D on the brannock and am a good fit for the 5 last in 8.5D. The LaSalles (on the same last as the Delray) felt way too tight for me in the toebox, as it was shorter and narrower than the 5 last.

My experience with the 5 last and Delray/LaSalle last is identical.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The waxy leather of the rough line shoes does not fit as tightly to the last as standard calf. Hence you get a little extra room. I went down one width from my standard size, perfect fit.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm planning on making my next AE purchase either the McTavish or the Elgin (still undecided on which, but leaning towards the Elgin).  I've read (on AE's site and on here) that the McTavish tends to run up to a full size longer than usual (I've seen people say size down an entire size for this shoe).  They're both made on the same last, so I assume the same is true for the Elgin?  FWIW, I wear a 9.5 EEE in the Delray (My actual foot is probably closer truly to a 9D or 9E, but I use custom-made orthotics from my physical therapist which make the shoes even more comfy).  Anyway, the 9.5EEE in the Delray is great for me.  I also own the Fairfax . . . unfortunately I could not find a 9.5EEE in the Chili color so I bought a 10D which fits ok with my orthotics but is a little snug in the forefoot, but was able to try on a 9.5EEE in the black version which felt perfect with the orthotic.  So, In both of these shoes (which I believe are made on 8 and 5 lasts, respectively), my sizing seems consistent.  

That said, what size would I want in a McTavish/Elgin?  Would I really want an 8.5??  And is there any correcting for width?  8.5EEE?  I'm pretty unsure about this, and unfortunately I don't live anywhere remotely close to an AE store (my previous purchases have been via ebay and Nordstrom rack).  

Suggestions?

I wear a 9.5D in all of my AE's except the McTavish and the Black Hills (both Rough Collection). I have several different lasts and all are 9.5D except for these 2 styles which are 9D. I even the the 5 last in non-Rough Collection styles and they are 9.5D. So I would suggest going down a half size on the Rough Collection based on my experience.

Chris

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

I have the black Park Avenues as well, and, while I like them, I much preferred the shape of the toe cap of the soho's.  I also like the slightly notched toe.  With the Soho, although the toe cap is longer, it still creases in the appropriate place (before the toe cap), at least on my feet.  

I have never seen the Soho and black, but if they were available, I would strongly consider buying one due to the shape of the toe alone.

Agree on the captoe look for the PAs. That soho one is more to my liking. To complicate matters :stirpot: , here is the captoe on my Hale's in real world conditions, which I like. I know, I know the captoe is perforated but oh well.

hales.jpg

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the Hellbrand thread

Just received my red CXL belt and bracelet; matches very well with the red Neumok. AE has added the Cottonwood belt that matches the Neumok leathers, a little late for me though.

iloveshoes

Reaction score

Meant to make a post earlier, but here it goes. I got the strawfuts in the brown on brown combo and the players in white suede as part of AE's 2 for 200 from the shoebank. The strawfuts have no defect and look to be firsts. The only thing I could find on the Players in one small mark on the inside part of the right heel where it wont get noticed. I mean you cant be too picky with white suede in Seattle, they are going to get dirty. Im glad I got these two models on the sale because I don't think I would have ever bought these at full retail considering how much I will wear each but it is definitely a plus to have in the rotation for summer wear.

I just got the lombards off the bay brand new for a deal! Needed a walnut color rubber sole to rotate in on the rainy days. I think I will gradually try to burnish or darken the toe on the Lombard's. I have seen a couple of others who have done this and it looks really nice on this model.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I picked up my Daltons today but they fit badly. Unfortunately when I tried them on several weeks ago I was wearing significantly thinner socks and I ordered the size that felt good. Today I got a call that they came in, so not thinking, I went to get them straight from the beach (not wearing any socks). I tried them on with the "try on" socks AE gave me and they felt good. However, when I got home and put on real socks they were so tight it was painful (but only on my left foot). Should I exchange them for a bigger size, wearing thinner socks, or wait for a few days of wear and allow them to stretch? Thanks for the help SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members