• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5c302028-604a-4fcb.jpg

So i bought a pair of Leeds in cordo, they are seconds. They arrived with a split in the heel area. It will cost me a lot to return for a refund as I live in saudi, on top of the shipping costs out here. Could I ask for an opinion as to whether this damage could be repaired by a competent cobbler ie stitched and reinforced? Or should I just eat the $100 cost and return?

[Sadly] it looks familiar to me
smile.gif
. I bought a pair of Burgundy Shell Leeds a month ago and ended up returning/exchanging them for another pair.

I actually picked them up in person at the factory store/outlet. I was blinded by the perfect fit and the low, low price of $299 for shell that I missed the pretty significant defect. However, there happened to be one pair left in the country in my size (11D) and they ended up being great! You are in an entirely different situation being outside the country. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Good luck. If you can get a pair that fits and is in working condition, they are a great shoe that will last many, many years.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Fifth Streets in brown also and haven't worn them yet but will in the next few days after seeing yours. Mine don't quite meet up in the vamp as yours do but not too wide open. I was trying to lace them as you did in your picture but I don't think they look as good as there is some gap. I may have to go with bar lacing... So many choices.. what is a man to do?
I wonder if they need to be put up soon because summer is coming?

I actually tried the 7D and 6.5E Fifth Street. Although I am 7D, the 5 last is narrow so the gap was just slightly bigger. The 6.5E provided just enough (as seen in the picture) to have a nice closure. For shoes I go 7D but for the Fifth Street I went the -.5 L /+1 W which worked out perfectly.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**Edit**

I got this on the wrong thread somehow.

Last edited:

spitshine123

Reaction score
I have the Fifth Streets in brown also and haven't worn them yet but will in the next few days after seeing yours. Mine don't quite meet up in the vamp as yours do but not too wide open. I was trying to lace them as you did in your picture but I don't think they look as good as there is some gap. I may have to go with bar lacing... So many choices.. what is a man to do?
I actualy have the 5th street and a few other pairs on the 5 last. I personally don't like it when both sides of the vamp touch, I have a slight V on all my 5 last shoes when I tie them up, I personally think this looks better

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actualy have the 5th street and a few other pairs on the 5 last. I personally don't like it when both sides of the vamp touch, I have a slight V on all my 5 last shoes when I tie them up, I personally think this looks better

I agree, I don't like my shoes look like they're super tight and tied up.

V looks good.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a "V" as well. Sadly my feet don't cooperate; so I've grown accustomed to the quarters closing. On a brighter note, the closed upper gives you some leeway on lacing patterns. I've taken a liking to the European bar lace. It's easier to tighten and loosen, and the slant in the lacing stays hidden.

thecentennial

Reaction score

[Sadly] it looks familiar to me  :) . I bought a pair of Burgundy Shell Leeds a month ago and ended up returning/exchanging them for another pair.

I actually picked them up in person at the factory store/outlet. I was blinded by the perfect fit and the low, low price of $299 for shell that I missed the pretty significant defect. However, there happened to be one pair left in the country in my size (11D) and they ended up being great! You are in an entirely different situation being outside the country. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Good luck. If you can get a pair that fits and is in working condition, they are a great shoe that will last many, many years. 

We probably bought them at the same store at similar times - it looks like they were selling a few with this major defect.

Is it worth me escalating - or should I just forget about it. I want to keep the shoes - not only because they look great, but also I'm from Leeds...:D. However,it's not worth me shipping back and shipping a new pair out here again - that would be $150 on shipping alone! I guess that's part and parcel of buying seconds...but I would have expected the store to perform a rough check of the merchandise before shipping. Maybe my expectations are too high.

Update: I was just thinking, superglue does a great job at sticking skin...if I flex the heel and bring the sides of the split together, they do so nicely. This gives me hope a cobbler can stitch, but I will have to wait until I go to the UK later this year - there are no cobblers where I live. I wonder if I could apply a minute amount of superglue to the split, bring together...and see if it holds. At worst it would prevent worsening until the cobbler got his hands on them...thoughts?

Last edited:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We probably bought them at the same store at similar times - it looks like they were selling a few with this major defect.
Is it worth me escalating - or should I just forget about it. I want to keep the shoes - not only because they look great, but also I'm from Leeds...
biggrin.gif
. However,it's not worth me shipping back and shipping a new pair out here again - that would be $150 on shipping alone! I guess that's part and parcel of buying seconds...but I would have expected the store to perform a rough check of the merchandise before shipping. Maybe my expectations are too high.
Update: I was just thinking, superglue does a great job at sticking skin...if I flex the heel and bring the sides of the split together, they do so nicely. This gives me hope a cobbler can stitch, but I will have to wait until I go to the UK later this year - there are no cobblers where I live. I wonder if I could apply a minute amount of superglue to the split, bring together...and see if it holds. At worst it would prevent worsening until the cobbler got his hands on them...thoughts?

They could very well have originated from the same place. I placed my order through my local outlet in Freeport, ME. He sourced them from either the shoebank or from a different store. That repaired pair on ebay looks awful. With that said, this is the first pair of 2nds with which I've had such an issue.

Like you, I was surprised that these were sold as factory 2nds even at discount. It seems like 90% of the factory 2nds have just cosmetic blemishes but every so often you get an issue like we faced. Perhaps they can be repaired and live a long and happy life. I understand your unwillingness to incur another $150 in additional shipping charges. Perhaps you can pose the question to someone at SF like Nick at B. Nelson to get his thoughts. If the professionals feel that it can be repaired and remain intact, it may be the way to go. If they say it's an issue that's not correctable, maybe check with AE to see if they'll work with you on return shipping. It can't hurt to ask [nicely].

Either way good luck.

thecentennial

Reaction score
I bought my pair from the Freeport store too. I've sent photos to a reputable cobbler in a location I will be visiting soon. If he has good news, I'll pack 'em up and bring them with me.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my pair from the Freeport store too. I've sent photos to a reputable cobbler in a location I will be visiting soon. If he has good news, I'll pack 'em up and bring them with me.

Good luck, I hope you get a satisfying result. They do look nice when cared for and shell is a nice, bomb-proof leather.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I've been debating on which pair of boots to get since the winter and I still can't decide so I'm hoping some of you can give me some insight. I'm look at getting either the Dalton in dark brown, or the fifth street boot also in dark brown. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each boot? I'd be wearing them for business casual purposes (since I'm a student but always dress business casual). I live in Washington, DC so we get a fair amount of rain and some snow/slush in the winter so I need a boot that could withstand a little wet weather if I get stuck outside for an hour or two in rain.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smile.gif
What PhiPsi32 said!

I've been debating on which pair of boots to get since the winter and I still can't decide so I'm hoping some of you can give me some insight. I'm look at getting either the Dalton in dark brown, or the fifth street boot also in dark brown. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each boot? I'd be wearing them for business casual purposes (since I'm a student but always dress business casual). I live in Washington, DC so we get a fair amount of rain and some snow/slush in the winter so I need a boot that could withstand a little wet weather if I get stuck outside for an hour or two in rain.

I have both boots, the Dalton in Walnut Shell and the 5th St. in dark brown. I feel the 5th St. is a bit dressier but I like the looks of the Walnut Shell Dalton better overall. The shell leather has a lot to do with that. Not sure either one is the best choice for spending an hour or two in the rain. I wear either one when the weather is foul and I have to travel out to the Regional sites in Mn. and Wi., but that is still limited exposure to the elements. I had a Vibram toppy put on the Dalton, the only half sole I have ever had put on a shoe or boot. It is the standard hard ribbed Vibram half sole and I feel it doesn't add any advantage such as traction. And don't really care so much for the change in feel of the sole. This summer I will have it removed and try the Vibram Raptor half sole which seems to work well on snow and ice. Here is a picture of the Raptor on Crane's Wolverine 1K boot, but I will keep the standard heel:

I think a rubber sole is better for extended exposure to water, snow, ice and salt. I have the brown Bayfields but they are not a good fit for work dress IMO. Just picked up the black Bayfield and they take a polish perfectly, they look much like the black 5th Ave when covered by the pant leg. But still have an aggressive tread which dresses them down. On the other hand the first time I wore the brown Cascade boots into work planning to change once I got there the secretary said Wow those are very stylish shoes?! Go figure, she has never said anything about any of my other boots.

Ayrton

Reaction score

You may still can get the North Platte in your size (on closeout). Basically a Dalton with a lug sole (better for foul weather).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads