• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
Broke down and ordered the Mcallister in walnut with the Anniversary pricing. As someone said recently on this thread, you can never have too many walnut wingtips. Looking forward to them...

ayoungs

Reaction score
My first post, thanks to the forum I found out about the seconds deal on Bradley Chili Seconds. I just got them (ordered Monday) can barely find one tiny little nick (and I mean tiny) on them.
They look and fit fantastic. I'll definitely be ordering from the Shoe Bank at the factory again!

I do have a question, it looks to me that the heel and sole edge dressing is chili color, do others agree that's what I'd use?

UglyJoe

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here, and I have a question on sizing for a pair of Strands. I measure at EXACTLY 9.5 length and dead in the middle of E width. Verified this both with AE's online sizing guide and at a local men's store that sells AE. Both the website and the salesman suggest I purchase a 10 E to keep my toes comfortable. However, I know the size 5 last tends to run a bit long and narrow. Questions is, should I order a 9.5 E, a 9.5 EEE, or a 10 E for the Strands? Unfortunately the local AE "dealer" only has samples in store, and so I couldn't try on a pair, and I can't find anywhere that actually maintains stock of AEs within driving distance. I need to order the pair online or from the dealer, and since I can get a much better deal online, that's what I am doing. I don't want to go through the whole receive and return spiel, so I want to make the most informed choice possible the first time and hope for the best.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get used to the idea of ordering multiple sizes and returning whatever doesn't fit. I won't force the issue, but I have some experience in this area. You order a pair, you try them on, and they fit "great". You wear them a few times, and oops there's a problem. This hurts. That isn't creasing right, etc.

Furthermore, you won't learn anything unless you compare adjacent sizes (i.e. you have no frame of reference for that style and fit of shoe).

My suggestion, try a 10D & a 10E. I am extremely confident that chasing an extra wide 9.5 will not help you. I also suggest ordering from Nordstrom.com which offers free shipping and free returns.

Don't get caught up in the AE sale pricing. Discounts appear periodically on AE, Nordstrom, Amazon, etc. Say you save $100 on a $300 pair of shoes, if they don't fit, you've wasted $200. Blind ordering shoes on sale is best for people who already know what size they need in that brand.

Hey, do what makes you happy, but be kind to your feet.

Hey guys, new here, and I have a question on sizing for a pair of Strands. I measure at EXACTLY 9.5 length and dead in the middle of E width. Verified this both with AE's online sizing guide and at a local men's store that sells AE. Both the website and the salesman suggest I purchase a 10 E to keep my toes comfortable. However, I know the size 5 last tends to run a bit long and narrow. Questions is, should I order a 9.5 E, a 9.5 EEE, or a 10 E for the Strands? Unfortunately the local AE "dealer" only has samples in store, and so I couldn't try on a pair, and I can't find anywhere that actually maintains stock of AEs within driving distance. I need to order the pair online or from the dealer, and since I can get a much better deal online, that's what I am doing. I don't want to go through the whole receive and return spiel, so I want to make the most informed choice possible the first time and hope for the best.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyhow, I actually surfed over here because I just got the shipment notification for my Ridgeways (originally ordered March 3rd).

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get used to the idea of ordering multiple sizes and returning whatever doesn't fit.  I won't force the issue, but I have some experience in this area.  You order a pair, you try them on, and they fit "great".  You wear them a few times, and oops there's a problem.  This hurts.  That isn't creasing right, etc.

Furthermore, you won't learn anything unless you compare adjacent sizes (i.e. you have no frame of reference for that style and fit of shoe).

My suggestion, try a 10D & a 10E.  I am extremely confident that chasing an extra wide 9.5 will not help you.  I also suggest ordering from Nordstrom.com which offers free shipping and free returns.

Don't get caught up in the AE sale pricing.  Discounts appear periodically on AE, Nordstrom, Amazon, etc.  Say you save $100 on a $300 pair of shoes, if they don't fit, you've wasted $200.  Blind ordering shoes on sale is best for people who already know what size they need in that brand.

Hey, do what makes you happy, but be kind to your feet.

10D and 10E? I would go 9.5E or 9.5EEE, but what do I know. The 5 last is long so I don't think there is going to be any issue with length. If i were to have considered another size for my Strands I think I would have done 9E. I have a slight pinch in my right shoe near my second to smallest toe. Left shoe is perfect

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest avoiding the 9.5 because OP states that he is right on the line. Hence, I would move up to a 10 in length. As for width, OP states he is right in the middle of a 9.5E for width. Looking at the corresponding widths in the 10 on the AE chart, I see the 10D & 10E. Either might be a reasonable fit.

UglyJoe

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am definitely wider than a 10D. The question is really 9.5 E vs. 10 E (maybe 9.5 EEE, though that's quite a bit wider than my foot, according to the sizing guide). I guess what I don't know is how severely narrow 5 last shoes really are.

Any other opinions?

Shiny

Reaction score
Got my Shelton 2nds today. No major quality issues. There may have been a little black paint that bled into the burgundy part. Not in the front but on the sides. Also the sole may have had some leather shavings that were still in the soles. You could trim those off with some scissors. Maybe sand them down. My main disappointment is the fit. I ordered a 9D. Lengthwise they are fine but they squeeze me in the forefront sides. I can't believe that this last, which is the same as the Leeds, fits me tighter. I'm going to ask if they have a 9E.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am definitely wider than a 10D. The question is really 9.5 E vs. 10 E (maybe 9.5 EEE, though that's quite a bit wider than my foot, according to the sizing guide). I guess what I don't know is how severely narrow 5 last shoes really are.

Any other opinions?

Eh, people forget that changing width from D to E to EE so on also increases the girth of the shoe. Increasing the length also increases width and girth as well but slightly less so. I will end by saying again the 10D & 10E are probably the best place to start.

Post an update after you get your shoes and have worn them a several times.

Storm33

Reaction score

Any other opinions?

I, like you, am a 9.5 / 10 depending on brand, last, etc. I also have wide feet. I ordered walnut Strands in 10 EEE and ended up having to go down to 9.5 EEE. The 9.5s fit great.

The funny thing about the 5 last is I have a pair of McTavish, another shoe made on the 5 last, in 9 EEE and they fit just like my Strands in 9.5. My advice, particularly because you are close to a 10, would be to order the Strand in 9.5 EE. Keep in mind that if you order them online during the 90th anniversary sale you get free shipping and free return shipping as well - no penalty if you need to exchange them.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suggest avoiding the 9.5 because OP states that he is right on the line.  Hence, I would move up to a 10 in length.  As for width, OP states he is right in the middle of a 9.5E for width.  Looking at the corresponding widths in the 10 on the AE chart, I see the 10D & 10E.  Either might be a reasonable fit. 

I guess I don't understand how a Brannock device works then. I thought if you measured a 9D (between a 8.5 and 9, but not over) and the shoes you were buying were TTS you would get a 9D. If your foot went over the line for a 9 you would then move up to the next size length.

UglyJoe

Reaction score
I, like you, am a 9.5 / 10 depending on brand, last, etc. I also have wide feet. I ordered walnut Strands in 10 EEE and ended up having to go down to 9.5 EEE. The 9.5s fit great.
The funny thing about the 5 last is I have a pair of McTavish, another shoe made on the 5 last, in 9 EEE and they fit just like my Strands in 9.5. My advice, particularly because you are close to a 10, would be to order the Strand in 9.5 EE. Keep in mind that if you order them online during the 90th anniversary sale you get free shipping and free return shipping as well - no penalty if you need to exchange them.
Best of luck.

I don't think the Strand is available in EE? So do you think I should go 9.5 E or 9.5 EEE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads