• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejomby

Reaction score
So, was wondering what everyone's favorite last is. I've become familiar with the 1, 2, 5, and 7, and out of all of those, the 5 seems to be the best fit for me. Black McTavishes-- they feel like silk all day.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cross posted from "unexpected encounters with celebrities"
So I went to the tiny Allen Edmonds store off Madison Ave. in midtown Manhattan yesterday afternoon to kill some time before meeting the wife for dinner.
In walks Steve Weatherford - the NY Giants punter, who was great in the Super Bowl run. So great that that he got the franchise tag and will be paid $2.5 million a year.
He was really cool with the SA helping him. The SA didn't remember his name, but kept introducing him enthusiastically to his colleagues as "the Giants punter."
I left before he bought anything, but he was trying on something two-toned like the Broadstreet.

He's that ---- that ran around like an idiot in the NFC championship game, right? Was he also the punter last year that punted to Desean Jackson and lost the game when he was told not to?

bucksfan

Reaction score

So, was wondering what everyone's favorite last is. I've become familiar with the 1, 2, 5, and 7, and out of all of those, the 5 seems to be the best fit for me. Black McTavishes-- they feel like silk all day.
The 222 is he only one I can't wear comfortably, I tried Lombards and Van Ness. My absolute favorite last is the 5, though the 7 and 1 are right there too.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try the #2 last today . . . I'm curious but not optimistic about the fit.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He's that ---- that ran around like an idiot in the NFC championship game, right? Was he also the punter last year that punted to Desean Jackson and lost the game when he was told not to?

Yes and no.

He ran around screaming "we're going to the F'n Superbowl!!!!"

He did NOT punt to Desean Jackson last year. The Giants cut that punter and signed Weatherford this season. The guy is freakin' awesome - check out his stats in the NFC Championship game and Superbowl - he had a ton of punts inside the 20.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 222 is he only one I can't wear comfortably, I tried Lombards and Van Ness. My absolute favorite last is the 5, though the 7 and 1 are right there too.

So, was wondering what everyone's favorite last is.  I've become familiar with the 1, 2, 5, and 7, and out of all of those, the 5 seems to be the best fit for me. Black McTavishes-- they feel like silk all day.

I've only tried Last 5 - just so happens all the shoes I like are in that last.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider the available options too. Aside from the #1 (29), the #5 has the most options by a significant margin.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw Neumora's online, not excited.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at the AE store today. Tried on the navy suede Players Shoe. It looks great. The #2 last has a nice shape to it, but it is a tight fitting shoe. I tried the 11D (which is much too big for me in the #5 last), and it was snug in the heel and tight in the toe box. Unfortunately, they did not have a larger shoe for me to try on.

I also laid hands on the Ridgeway limited edition. They had a waxy black, brown, and olive sample. The pictures on the website do not do them justice. The black shoe features a red welt and red contrast stitching. The brown shoe features a bright yellow/orange contrast stitch. These are not your grandfather's shoes. While nontraditional, they were pleasing to look at. I took a crappy bleached out cell phone photo which I will post when I find a WiFi connection.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone's looking for brand new:

Strands in Walnut 9D (have 2 of them), 10D
Strands in Burnish Brown 8.5D

I have them for sale for $220 shipped CONUS.

I will also have Brand New marked "seconds" but no flaws whatso ever:
Black Park Aves - 8D, 8.5D, 9E, 9.5D
** will have these in a week... Shoot me PMs

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In addition to the last, the lacing pattern/construction can have a large impact on fit for me. Bluchers in the #5 last work well but balmorals, not so much. I'm very impressed with the fit of my new Leeds (blucher #1 last). They fit as well as any shoe I own. I may have to look at some other #1 last models.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Anyone know how Allen Edmonds loafers fit?

I fit a 9D in the Strand pretty well. Would I also be a 9D in the Kenwood?

It apparently uses the "Handsewn 800 last"

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to the last, the lacing pattern/construction can have a large impact on fit for me. Bluchers in the #5 last work well but balmorals, not so much. I'm very impressed with the fit of my new Leeds (blucher #1 last). They fit as well as any shoe I own. I may have to look at some other #1 last models.

Coincidentally I recently discovered the reverse was true for me. Not that there is anything wrong with the #1 last fit on me but the 5 feels like a very custom fit in comparison. However that is only based on 2 shoes on the 5 last. The Leeds was one of the first AE shoes I purchased and is a good fit on me, as are most on the #1. But when I got the Shelton (balmoral #1) I had a similar experience as you at first, not so much. After a couple of weeks it got better and several years later is normal but it had me worried at first. Could also be the stiff cobbler leather on the Shelton had to break in and mold to my foot. Currently the McAllister (balmoral #5) is the best fitting shoe I own which is why I am now exploring the shoes on the #5 last. As PhiPsi32 said, that last opens up a lot of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads