• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlequin782

Reaction score
I find it slightly disappointing to learn that Allen Edmonds arent entirely made in the U.S. All the rhetoric about pricepoints and value to quality ratios sound very reasonable and understandable to me, and I suppose this revelation doesnt change anything, but for some reason, I had been led to believe that all parts of the shoes were made in the U.S. as opposed to some mass production 3rd world sweatshop.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I need a 7E in both, but I've now had two sales associates who measured me on a brannock and insisted that I have a relatively narrow foot and that an E wouldn't fit me. If they're right, I'm guessing that AEs just aren't made to fit me. Any of you more knowledgeable in the mysteries of AE fit have advice?

There is really no substitute for trying numerous shoes in various sizes. I tried on nine or ten pairs of Park Avenues, and I'm still not entirely sure about the fit. At the end of the day, you have to put some mileage on the shoe and see how you feel,but you want to get as close as possible. To put it perspective, I was measured twice by the sales staff as an 11C. I measured myself as an 11C using the AE fit guide (download online). I now wear an 11.5C in the Park Avenue. It's the best balance so far between heel and toe fit. If I'm not true-to-size (TTS), I would say it has to do with the shape of my foot (low arch etc.). The brannock only measures your foot in overall length and ball width.

Try Nordstrom. I purchased and exchanged a few pairs to dial in my size. They have a generous return policy.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to the CEO of AE not any more. Even main line shoes are done in both places. Can't help but wonder if that doesn't explain a lot of the QC issues of late.....
frown.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228354/...ade-in-the-dominican-republic/30#post_4903126

Thanks for the link & info.

I find it slightly disappointing to learn that Allen Edmonds arent entirely made in the U.S. All the rhetoric about pricepoints and value to quality ratios sound very reasonable and understandable to me, and I suppose this revelation doesnt change anything, but for some reason, I had been led to believe that all parts of the shoes were made in the U.S. as opposed to some mass production 3rd world sweatshop.

My initial reaction was disappointment as well. However after re-reading the CEO's post and allowing time to pass from that gut reaction, it doesn't bother me as much. I find AE shoes to offer a good value to quality ratio and the fact that some operations are located off shore doesn't change my perception of value to quality.I was encouraged by the comment that DR operations consist of AE employees at an AE owned plant. Manufacturing is not farmed out to a 3rd party or a subcontracting arrangement.

If I had to pay more for a completely US made AE shoe, I'm not sure the value would be the same.

LoblawNYC

Reaction score
There is really no substitute for trying numerous shoes in various sizes. I tried on nine or ten pairs of Park Avenues, and I'm still not entirely sure about the fit. At the end of the day, you have to put some mileage on the shoe and see how you feel,but you want to get as close as possible. To put it perspective, I was measured twice by the sales staff as an 11C. I measured myself as an 11C using the AE fit guide (download online). I now wear an 11.5C in the Park Avenue. It's the best balance so far between heel and toe fit. If I'm not true-to-size (TTS), I would say it has to do with the shape of my foot (low arch etc.). The brannock only measures your foot in overall length and ball width.

Try Nordstrom. I purchased and exchanged a few pairs to dial in my size. They have a generous return policy.

Thanks for the advice. In the future, I'll definitely deal with Nordstrom. At present, I guess I'll return the Malverns, decide whether to keep or ebay the PAs, and hope Nordstrom runs the $200 Strands sale again this summer.

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in Brand New size 8.5EE or 8.5EEE Walnut Mcallisters - marked as seconds but looks like firsts, no major issues. For $160 shipped.

jeust0999

Reaction score
Thanks. I decided to order the Jeffersons in walnut in 8E from a local Nordstrom... if that doesn't fit I might have to make a long trip to an AE store.

jeust0999

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
My impression from owning several pairs of AE (including the Park Avenue) and 1 pair of Florsheim Veblen is that the Florsheim runs *at least* half a size larger. So I would try a 8.5D first.

The best thing you can do is to drive to an AE store or outlet and see which last/size combination fits you the best. I had a problem where the number of available AE sizes in length and width is fairly limited my local Nordstrom. So I drove 2 hours to the nearest AE store and tried on every last/size combination until I found the best one (9D, 5 last). I don't know how far you are from an AE store, but if it is within a reasonable driving distance, make the trip.

In addition, note that sizing between the various shoe brands is a bit arbitrary. So get measured on a Brannock Device. Most shoe stores should have them. Get both your left and right foot measured (foot size between your left and right feet may not be identical). Also, get measured standing up (your foot expands if you stand up).

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6871427968_3378bd4d30.jpg
Cambridge in Burgundy Shell Cordovan Pretty much first quality to my other AEs (actually better than some of my calf shoes)

andrew4h

Reaction score
Any thoughts on pairing the Flat Iron in Walnut with Navy and/or Grey suits? Besides not being a balmoral, think the toe is too ornate for suits?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on pairing the Flat Iron in Walnut with Navy and/or Grey suits? Besides not being a balmoral, think the toe is too ornate for suits?

Would depend on the context. For a party or an informal wedding, sure. In a conservative work context, no. The walnut color and the design of those shoes are both pretty informal and a little more on the fun side.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless you work in a conservative environment, I do not think it will be an issue. The blucher style, walnut color, and brogue pattern makes it a casual shoe yet I see guys walking around in driving loafers with suits.

kimchijajonshim

Reaction score
Any tips on getting these on sale? Particular retailers I should be checking out or sales they might have at their own stores? I need a pair of good dress shoes for interviews and formal functions and these seem to be the consensus pick for value-minded quality. I'm not sure pressed right now so I'd rather not pay full retail, if I could get a pair of Kenilworths or Park Aves for under $250 in the next several months, I'd be stoked.

Last edited:

Onlyoneoklahoma

Reaction score
I have a quick question. I am returning a pair of snuff suede players shoes because the shoe it too narrow.

Right now I have:
Walnut: Dalton boot and Strand
Brown: Delray
Burgundy shell cordovan: Leeds and Cambridge.

Should I go ahead and order a wider players shoe? Or get the Bradley in Burgundy shell? Sadly I missed a steal on brown shell cordovan strands.

His is probably the last time I buy shoes for a few months, and I really like the way the burgundy shell looks, but I don't know if I am too plain.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads