• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickrone

Reaction score
I own the black fifth ave. I want to buy 2-3 shoes because of the sale, what should i get. I need a brown pair for my suits and i need a casual pair to where with khakis. i don't were jeans much. any suggestions? should i get the dark brown fifth ave to wear with my suits?

Bzack

Reaction score
The #2 last is remarkably narrow. I would say more the last. Sorry, does AE make #2 lasted loafer? The Carlsbad?
I thought the Presidio was on the #2 last. It's the Brooks Brothers loafer with the combo sole. Unless I'm confused and mistaken, which I've been known to be both.

It's these on the BB website. I got them as seconds from AE.

Last edited:

carlos20co

Reaction score

My Kenilworths are built on the same #5 last as your McAllisters and also have the weird bump. It seems to occur mostly in shoes employing that last. I can tell you it does go down over time.

I also have a pair of Fifth Street boots on the #5 last and those don't have that bump. That's why it surprised me when I put on my Mcallisters. It's good to know that it will go down over time. I like them a lot.

kentyman

Reaction score
Thanks as always for the thoughtful response. It's still between the Tan Finch and Walnut/Brown Shelton, but I think I'm going to wait a while. I have Cognac McTavishes on the way, and I've only worn my Elgins thrice, so I really should enjoy these first. But there's a good chance I end up with one of the above sometime this year. Thanks for all of the discussion.

Welp, I only lasted 2.5 months; both the Finches and the Sheltons are on their way, along with a Center Fielder. If I keep all three, that'll be 12 pairs of Allen Edmonds in not so many months. I'm really enjoying upping my shoe game, but also realizing that I'm going to have to slow it down here soon...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the Presidio was on the #2 last. It's the Brooks Brothers loafer with the combo sole. Unless I'm confused and mistaken, which I've been known to be both.

It's these on the BB website. I got them as seconds from AE.

Could be. I'm not familiar with the BB's lasts.

kentyman

Reaction score
Good catch! Thanks for the alert on the typo!

If it makes you feel any better, extensive broguing/perfing/pinking/etc. could certainly be described as "Extravagant, complex, or bizarre, especially in ornamentation".

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
I jumped on a pair of Burgundy Shell Cordovan Daltons with the special sale that began today. $466.I think they retail for $695. So not a bad deal at all. Vincenzo said the flaw he could see was a small ding in the shoe, less than a 1/4" I think I can live with that. I also got a pair of MLB Yankees white with red stitching for $19.That was cheap... Looking forward to getting them both.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The process where he is using what appears to be a smaller-than-normal cotton swab to get into the tiny Brogue holes - is about 43 seconds into the video.

Looks like the end of a tiny screwdriver. If you want to get in there, a tiny screwdriver will do just fine.

Tardis

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds shoes have become a "hobby" for me. I'm up to 13 pairs! I trust my local "shoe expert" to keep them looking good.
Favourites are Wendell's - Proudly wearing black and brown ones. The quality and value-for-dollar are amazing.

Oh, and yes, I did get a brand new pair at the local Good Will for 22.50!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought the Presidio was on the #2 last.  It's the Brooks Brothers loafer with the combo sole.  Unless I'm confused and mistaken, which I've been known to be both.  

It's these on the BB website.  I got them as seconds from AE.

It is on the 2 last and so is that BB model, the latter of which i recently tried on. The fit was positively miserable. Just terrible.

Bzack

Reaction score
It is on the 2 last and so is that BB model, the latter of which i recently tried on. The fit was positively miserable. Just terrible.
I don't think that I can try anything else in the 2 last, it's just an odd fit for my foot.

I just got my return label from Adam. He's been really helpful when I purchase shoes from the Brookfield store. I'm thinking of trying the McGraw's in Walnut. Does anyone have experience with the 4 (234) last? I do have a pair of Cortlands and I think they are on the 4 last as well but I think it might be the 4 (444) last. Not sure of the difference besides what is stated on the website. More squared off toe and flatter in the toe area.

I really want to get a loafer in Walnut and that is about the only one that I can find from them that is available in my size.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
The process where he is using what appears to be a smaller-than-normal cotton swab to get into the tiny Brogue holes - is about 43 seconds into the video.

You can find the tiny cotton swabs in the baby section of your local store. We have them for our kids and I steal them for my brogueing from time to time. Usually the pencil brush from AE is enough.

g-banger

Reaction score
Finally got around to posting a pic of my AE strands, i purchased the Walnut strands at the start of the year and found the colour to be a little too light in my opinion.

So after several mid brown and dark brown coats i think its safe to say its in a colour i now prefer and can match more with.

I hope it assits anyone who is on the fence with darken walnut shoes.

Veridis

Reaction score
Finally got around to posting a pic of my AE strands, i purchased the Walnut strands at the start of the year and found the colour to be a little too light in my opinion.

So after several mid brown and dark brown coats i think its safe to say its in a colour i now prefer and can match more with.

I hope it assits anyone who is on the fence with darken walnut shoes.

Nice! I have the walnut strands, and recently ordered bourbon ones. It is the favorite model out of all the AE shoes.
I discovered people have been darkening the walnut strands by themselves.. However, you can't just switch between walnut and bourbon in an instant, so having two pairs makes sense. I just hope the colors are not too close! Will post photos when I get them.

Does anyone own both walnut and bourbon in the same model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads