• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc S

Reaction score
My question earlier today was buried in a story so I figured I'd shorten it and repost :)

Q: Black Liverpool or Black Carlyle?

Other than some casual boots I have no other black shoes. My current collection is:

Walnut Strands 11C
Bourbon Mora 2.0's 11.5B
Non-AE Derbys, similar to Dark Chili color

I know that traditionally, the obvious answer is Carlyle. But - for a younger guy (30) - would a sleek Chelsea do the trick for the occasional wedding/funeral use and office wear once a week? I have read reviews that say the Liverpool does really does work with a suit or jeans.

Worth consideration is the price.

Both firsts - the Liverpool would be $289 (normally $445, matching Club Monaco price) and the Carlyle would be $335 (normally $395).

Thoughts welcome!

Last edited:

Jackboot

Reaction score
Woodlore shoe trees are available at JAB right now at 50% off.

There is also a $20 off $100 coupon available (see retailmenot) for in-store use only.

If you buy 8 pairs of trees, they come out to $10 per pair. This is the lowest price that I've seen since JAB stopped their crazy sales over a year ago.

Last edited:

star656

Reaction score
So I'm looking to add to my collection and will likely be ordering a Dalton boot in oxblood with Danite sole. Before I order this 'custom' I had some questions (bottom of post, sorry for length)

I am in the medical field and do not wear dress clothes on a daily basis. I am young single dude so I try to dress reasonably well on my off time and when I go out, etc. I hate leather soles. I much prefer boots. I currently own:
1. Long branch in med brown (old yellow vibram soles) - My absolute favorite boots, utterly comfortable, I beat the crap out of these things, water, etc. They haven't seen salt though. Only thing I do to them is venetian shoe cream on cap and heel once a season with a good brush down.
2. Strand in walnut - Not very versatile anymore (were they ever?), I like the the bit of flash they add to an outfit. Leather sole. May get them resoled in danite, I will still wear them to weddings with a blue suit, etc - I could care less the danite is not very formal, I am confident I can pull it off.
3. Strandmok in tan - Very versatile, very comfortable, danite sole.
4. Park Aves in Burgundy/Merlot - New firsts from ebay in the mail as we speak. These will be my go to formal shoe. Leather sole, should go with grays and blues. Rich color, easy to maintain.

I want a bit of a flashy dalton boot (since I love my long branch so much) with a danite sole. I plan on wearing it far more often than say my burgundy park aves, if they get scuffed up I'm not too worried but I will take a bit more care than my long branch. Looking at oxblood Daltons since I like the brogue, find it easier to deal with scuffs and it adds a darker tone to the cap and heel. However, I don't want to lose the black/dark general burnish because the oxbloods without brouging (say park ave) look ugly flat purple with no depth.
Ugly from ebay:

VS.

Masterguns:

and CMT1:

My care plan is as follows: 1. Venetian shoe cream and brush 2-3 times a season/if they got super dirty 2. Very sparing Burgundy/Merlot polish for larger gouges/scratches (darker color than the oxblood I know) 3. Very light coating black carnuba wax for shine.

1. I am not familiar with maintaning the patina, I figure the venetian will do 95% of the time, but with hard wear I know it will dissipate. Besides the light black carnuba wax, do I need to do anything else? Should I use the clear wax for shine instead and just use a sparing amount of black polish on a dedicated brush prior to clear wax instead?
2. Do you think oxblood is a good option for heavier wear? My main concern is not scuffs, but that ugly purple I have seen pictures of. Will jeans/chino wear rub off all the patina?
3. Other thoughts for a slightly flash boot color with danite? Planning on wearing with jeans - considered the chili, but would prefer the dark purple/slightly red of the oxblood - I think its a bit more deep and unique.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

RLeslieS

Reaction score
I've had things other than shoes on my mind for the last few weeks, so I didn't look into the Black Friday deals until just now. I love that they're selling MacNeils in tan and black grain leathers, but they're sold out of both in my size(s). Its frustrating -- I've long lamented that the Brooks grain MacNeils weren't available in my size, then AE goes and makes them again and their release happens to coincide with a time I'm not checking in with the forum.

As our president-elect would say, "Sad!"

I called my SA at the original Shoe Bank, Chris Van Linda, and he's having the tan grain MacNeils made up in my size (6.5E in the 97 last). There's an additional $40 charge because it's out of their weird size range for this release, but at $250 it's still a good buy. I'd recommend calling someone directly if you are interested in the shoe.

RLeslieS

Reaction score
My question earlier today was buried in a story so I figured I'd shorten it and repost
smile.gif

Q: Black Liverpool or Black Carlyle?

Other than some casual boots I have no other black shoes. My current collection is:

Walnut Strands 11C
Bourbon Mora 2.0's 11.5B
Non-AE Derbys, similar to Dark Chili color

I know that traditionally, the obvious answer is Carlyle. But - for a younger guy (30) - would a sleek Chelsea do the trick for the occasional wedding/funeral use and office wear once a week? I have read reviews that say the Liverpool does really does work with a suit or jeans.

Worth consideration is the price.

Both firsts - the Liverpool would be $289 (normally $445, matching Club Monaco price) and the Carlyle would be $335 (normally $395).

Thoughts welcome!

Black Carlyle hands down. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a Chelsea boot to a formal occasion.

masterguns

Reaction score
So I'm looking to add to my collection and will likely be ordering a Dalton boot in oxblood with Danite sole. Before I order this 'custom' I had some questions (bottom of post, sorry for length)

I am in the medical field and do not wear dress clothes on a daily basis. I am young single dude so I try to dress reasonably well on my off time and when I go out, etc. I hate leather soles. I much prefer boots. I currently own:
1. Long branch in med brown (old yellow vibram soles) - My absolute favorite boots, utterly comfortable, I beat the crap out of these things, water, etc. They haven't seen salt though. Only thing I do to them is venetian shoe cream on cap and heel once a season with a good brush down.
2. Strand in walnut - Not very versatile anymore (were they ever?), I like the the bit of flash they add to an outfit. Leather sole. May get them resoled in danite, I will still wear them to weddings with a blue suit, etc - I could care less the danite is not very formal, I am confident I can pull it off.
4. Park Aves in Burgundy/Merlot - New firsts from ebay in the mail as we speak. These will be my go to formal shoe. Leather sole, should go with grays and blues. Rich color, easy to maintain.

I want a bit of a flashy dalton boot (since I love my long branch so much) with a danite sole. I plan on wearing it far more often than say my burgundy park aves, if they get scuffed up I'm not too worried but I will take a bit more care than my long branch. Looking at oxblood Daltons since I like the brogue, find it easier to deal with scuffs and it adds a darker tone to the cap and heel. However, I don't want to lose the black/dark general burnish because the oxbloods without brouging (say park ave) look ugly flat purple with no depth.
Ugly from ebay:

VS.

Masterguns:

and CMT1:

My care plan is as follows: 1. Venetian shoe cream and brush 2-3 times a season/if they got super dirty 2. Very sparing Burgundy/Merlot polish for larger gouges/scratches (darker color than the oxblood I know) 3. Very light coating black carnuba wax for shine.

1. I am not familiar with maintaning the patina, I figure the venetian will do 95% of the time, but with hard wear I know it will dissipate. Besides the light black carnuba wax, do I need to do anything else? Should I use the clear wax for shine instead and just use a sparing amount of black polish on a dedicated brush prior to clear wax instead?
2. Do you think oxblood is a good option for heavier wear? My main concern is not scuffs, but that ugly purple I have seen pictures of. Will jeans/chino wear rub off all the patina?
3. Other thoughts for a slightly flash boot color with danite? Planning on wearing with jeans - considered the chili, but would prefer the dark purple/slightly red of the oxblood - I think its a bit more deep and unique.

Thanks for your time.

Well, I'm not master shoe polisher, but I can tell you about my limited experience with my oxbloods. I read somewhere in another thread that alternating between burgundy/merlot/oxblood and black polish/cream (~3:1) will keep that deep look. I can attest that having both creams and applying them strategically works. If I want a bit of depth, I'll use some black. Feel like "reddening" it up a little bit? Use some of the color matched cream. You may be surprised at how the black cream does not turn the shoe black. I know I was a little hesitant at first. I found that using the black pretty much just gave the oxblood color a bit more depth. I had a few lighter spots on the boot, so just worked in some black cream and it started to match nicely. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, but it does in my mind :)

As for the dainite, I have them on my walnut Daltons and think they work well. Maybe a little more casual than the leather soles, though. More importantly, I'm not sure if you can get that sole on the oxblood. Last I saw, dainite was only available on the walnut and black Dalton. I may be off, though.

star656

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Are you using any kind of wax over the polish/cream coats? Or just letting them dry and hitting with some solid brushing. Certainly looks like you have the technique down!

You are correct, only black and walnut with danite. But they will do +$40 special order for danite and even do a weird size run. I have 7E in long branch and will likely go 7 EE in the Daltons, seem like they fit a bit tighter. 25% of mil discount doesn't hurt. I had to talk myself out of (my first) cordovan dalton.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ugly from ebay:

VS.

Masterguns:

and CMT1:

Thanks for your time.

1. I would go with the AE Oxblood polish (lightly), then the black carnauba wax as you see fit. Venetian, Bicks 4 or, Lexol as needed to condition; probably once or twice a year depending on weather. Others would certainly know better on this question, but thats my plan.

2. Should be fine, I wouldn't worry too much about crocking since the color is fairly dark and if that happens its going to be on the shaft which is not seen. Its not like they're suede or rough out.

3. Well there is Burgundy Shell. Bourbon is good too, but you said you weren't fond of the Walnut and they're in the same ballpark.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Are you using any kind of wax over the polish/cream coats? Or just letting them dry and hitting with some solid brushing. Certainly looks like you have the technique down!

You are correct, only black and walnut with danite. But they will do +$40 special order for danite and even do a weird size run. I have 7E in long branch and will likely go 7 EE in the Daltons, seem like they fit a bit tighter. 25% of mil discount doesn't hurt. I had to talk myself out of (my first) cordovan dalton.

Just my opinion, but I would try the 7E first (if you haven't already) before you place an un-returnable order. If there is any difference between the LB and the Dalton (I take the same size), I don't think it will be a whole widths worth.

star656

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I would try the 7E first (if you haven't already) before you place an un-returnable order. If there is any difference between the LB and the Dalton (I take the same size), I don't think it will be a whole widths worth.
Don't tell anyone but I have a dalton coming in the mail in 7e that will be going back soon after it is tried on. Granted its with a leather sole, but should be the same as danite.

Middlife

Reaction score
Don't tell anyone but I have a dalton coming in the mail in 7e that will be going back soon after it is tried on. Granted its with a leather sole, but should be the same as danite.
Not to worry, I think that many of us order and return several pairs of firsts to figure out what fits correctly. If AE wants to reduce inventory costs at B&M stores they will have to live with some increased shipping costs.
smile.gif

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't stand on the sidelines. Ended up ordering the blue Neumok (how could I not for $100?) and two more pairs from other makers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads