• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really hope they bring back those midnight navy strands. I'm not gonna lose out the second time.

I hope you get them too. They say they will return they just ran out of the leather. I love mine. It's my first Strand followed by the Merlot ones which I also love.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you can see, there's a big difference in the V. The new piping Carlyle also feels less snug at the arch. Sigh... I really want to keep the old piping one, but it's likely never going to fit as well as the other pair. I'd hate to return it just because it is the last of its kind from shoebank. Something about the newer Carlyle's just fits better -- my black pair V looks nearly identital to the one on the right.

Both are in 8 D (these are both brand new)

Old piping: New piping:

Nice shoe but what is the difference in the piping?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoe but what is the difference in the piping?

If you look at the top of the shoe at the opening, you see this lining. You can see in these two pictures that one has the same piping you see on the Park Aves, while the other has the modern profila binding (the raw edge). Paul recently posted a message on here that it actually costs more to use the profila binding, and that AE is using this so that the shoes can be a bit more casual if needed.

Some people like me, prefer the old piping like on the Park Ave. I think it looks better on dressier shoes. The profila binding also looks better on black and merlot shoes than it does on walnut. I have a pair of black Carlyle's with the profila binding and it looks fine. However, if you look at the walnut Carlyle below (pic number 2) it looks a bit rough.

Old piping:

New binding (raw edge):

amphillips79

Reaction score

Do you remember the gray McTavish from a couple of years ago?

I don't remember those, but now I hate you a little :) Those are awesome!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't remember those, but now I hate you a little :) Those are awesome!

Don't hate me. That picture was from a google image search.
I wish that I had bought a pair when they were available.
Allen Edmonds also made the Park Avenue available in a "grey cloud" finish.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you look at the top of the shoe at the opening, you see this lining. You can see in these two pictures that one has the same piping you see on the Park Aves, while the other has the modern profila binding (the raw edge). Paul recently posted a message on here that it actually costs more to use the profila binding, and that AE is using this so that the shoes can be a bit more casual if needed. Some people like me, prefer the old piping like on the Park Ave. I think it looks better on dressier shoes. The profila binding also looks better on black and merlot shoes than it does on walnut. I have a pair of black Carlyle's with the profila binding and it looks fine. However, if you look at the walnut Carlyle below (pic number 2) it looks a bit rough. Old piping: New binding (raw edge):
Funny thing. I bought a pair of walnut Cornwallis "thirds" from our favorite eBay seller, and when I received them I saw what I now know to be the "profila binding" and said "oh damn, no wonder these were marked as worse than seconds, they completely neglected to finish the shoe and it looks terrible. Thank god it will be covered by my pant leg most of the time." Imagine my surprise when I found out that was an intentional move on their part! (BTW there were no other discernable flaws on the shoes so I am going to proceed believing still that the new piping is worthy of downgrading a shoe to thirds.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look at the top of the shoe at the opening, you see this lining. You can see in these two pictures that one has the same piping you see on the Park Aves, while the other has the modern profila binding (the raw edge). Paul recently posted a message on here that it actually costs more to use the profila binding, and that AE is using this so that the shoes can be a bit more casual if needed.

Some people like me, prefer the old piping like on the Park Ave. I think it looks better on dressier shoes. The profila binding also looks better on black and merlot shoes than it does on walnut. I have a pair of black Carlyle's with the profila binding and it looks fine. However, if you look at the walnut Carlyle below (pic number 2) it looks a bit rough.

Old piping:

New binding (raw edge):

Oh! I see so it's not the place were the foot goes, I was thinking you were talking about the front of the shoe where it laces. I get it. I agree too, this looks more unfinished. Do you like the Carlyle?

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's my favorite shoe (currently). I own 3 of them (walnut, black, bourbon).
shog%5B1%5D.gif

It's probably the most comfortable dress shoe I own. The 108 last is the best last I've discovered so far.

They look very nice. I like the plain toe. I also wish Allen Edmonds would do a wholecut shoe! I don't own any Carlyles yet. I enjoy wearing the Lasalle, it's very comfy.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look very nice. I like the plain toe. I also wish Allen Edmonds would do a wholecut shoe! I don't own any Carlyles yet. I enjoy wearing the Lasalle, it's very comfy.

Speaking of the Carlyle. How does it fit compared to the 65 last? I wear a 12 in some and a 11.5 in some lasts such as the 201 and 333.

HoldenMI

Reaction score
Speaking of the Carlyle. How does it fit compared to the 65 last? I wear a 12 in some and a 11.5 in some lasts such as the 201 and 333.
Based on my experience, the 108 has a shorter, narrower toe and a higher instep in comparison to the 65.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an Gray/Grey Leather Allen Edmonds? Can you show me some photos? I asked the salesmen at the store why don't you guys have gray? Maybe that is a winter line? I have the Pierpont but it's navy and gray. Looking for just a gray shoe.

Long Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads