• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't bought any AE shoes in a few years now, since before Oxblood was an option, but I'm now looking for a shoe for my wedding. 

I'll be wearing a navy suit and was looking at the Strand in Oxblood through the CEO sale, or a pair in Merlot from the Shoebank. I own a Mcallister in Merlot, so I know what that colour is like, but have not seen the Oxblood in person and have no way to do so before the sale is over. 

I was hoping to get some thoughts between the two colours and if one would work better than the other in this situation. Thanks!

Oxblood and burgundy are different colors, but still fairly similar. Have you considered the dark chili?

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't bought any AE shoes in a few years now, since before Oxblood was an option, but I'm now looking for a shoe for my wedding. 

I'll be wearing a navy suit and was looking at the Strand in Oxblood through the CEO sale, or a pair in Merlot from the Shoebank. I own a Mcallister in Merlot, so I know what that colour is like, but have not seen the Oxblood in person and have no way to do so before the sale is over. 

I was hoping to get some thoughts between the two colours and if one would work better than the other in this situation. Thanks!

I'd go with Merlot for a night wedding, but oxblood for a daytime wedding.

tietherope

Reaction score
Oxblood and burgundy are different colors, but still fairly similar. Have you considered the dark chili?

It's OK if the shoe is close to a colour I already have. I'm more worried about which will work best for the event. Fitting it into the rotation is secondary.

I think the chili is probably too light for what I'm looking for.

I'd go with Merlot for a night wedding, but oxblood for a daytime wedding.

Thanks for the input. I'm not in the U.S., so have only seen the colours I own. I'll be in Chicago next weekend, so maybe I'll pass on the CEO sale now, check out all the shoes and colours in Chicago, and then pick something up at the tent sale. The June tent sale should still be happening?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda in the same boat. I want my next shoe to be either merlot or oxblood, but I'm not sure which one I'll choose. I've seen the oxblood Leeds in person, and they look quite nice, and they have a bit of black burnishing on them that doesn't show on the site pictures.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input. I'm not in the U.S., so have only seen the colours I own. I'll be in Chicago next weekend, so maybe I'll pass on the CEO sale now, check out all the shoes and colours in Chicago, and then pick something up at the tent sale. The June tent sale should still be happening?

Or you could buy both now and return whichever one you like less. As noted, oxblood has some burnishing that really pops on brogued shoes like the strand. Merlot to me is still more formal.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking I want a black shell heavy duty boot. Did Paul say they were bringing back the Bayfield, or is that just wishful thinking on my part (I know he said they were bringing something back this fall)? I may end up going with the Alden medallion toe boot, but I don't know if I can get that with a lug sole, and I'd really like this to be a foul-weather boot.

tietherope

Reaction score
Or you could buy both now and return whichever one you like less. As noted, oxblood has some burnishing that really pops on brogued shoes like the strand. Merlot to me is still more formal.
That would be ideal, but the two colours are not available from the same location and last time I ordered from the Shoebank shipping to Canada was $40 or $45 a shipment.

I think I'll order the Strand Oxblood while the CEO sale is on. My size is backordered 4 weeks. So I'll check them out when I'm in Chicago next weekend and if they aren't for me, try to cancel the order before it ships.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be ideal, but the two colours are not available from the same location and last time I ordered from the Shoebank shipping to Canada was $40 or $45 a shipment.

I think I'll order the Strand Oxblood while the CEO sale is on. My size is backordered 4 weeks. So I'll check them out when I'm in Chicago next weekend and if they aren't for me, try to cancel the order before it ships.
Good call, but I have a feeling you are going to like that color on the Strand and keep them regardless of if you wear them to your wedding or not. You can't beat that price on first quality Strands.

Oxblood is more of a dark red while merlot is more of a purple.

ryansto

Reaction score
I see both sides as well. From a consumer, yes things like this are annoying and concerning as to a "what's next?" on the chopping block. My main concern is that they make quality leather shoes in the US. As soon as that stops I stop buying. So if they need to streamline some small features to meet the ever rising costs that come with healthcare, leather prices, and god knows what else. Then so be it.

But from a business standpoint, they have to be profitable. There is a reason 9x% of shoes are made in work camps in China. It's profitable. So they have to cut costs to keep production here, with well paid workers. And some little piping is an easy one to cut on their non - bread and butter shoes and show ownership they can up margins. As we already know sales are there.

To be clear, the "piping" or binding has not been removed on these styles everyone is discussing. These styles feature a "profila" binding, rather than the classic rolled binding seen on the Timeless Classics. Look closely at the topline of any of the new styles. The binding is tucked below the edge of the upper. Completely removing the binding could compromise the integrity of a calfskin shoe. The difficulty that the profila binding raises, in my opinion, is that you are unable to hide any imperfections on the edge of the uppers.

I don't know the full dollars-and-cents of the binding cost, but I'm sure it's negligible. If AE really was interested in cost cutting, you would not see CF Stead suede on the Sea Island or Dainite soles on many of the shoes. Neither of these components are truly necessary, but the quality of them is indisputable.

Just my $0.02 (though, all together, I think we're approaching a dollar...)

ryansto

Reaction score
[/IMG]

Lake Forest and Acheson. Both new models. One has classic rolled binding and the other has Profila binding.

angelescrest

Reaction score
Tan country grain first ave boots today. This is my second time wearing them and I'm pleasantly surprised at the lack of break in period.
I'm thinking of ordering this very shoe. How's the coloring compared to walnut? And how's it look with other pant/outfit combos?

thera

Reaction score
I think the chili is probably too light for what I'm looking for.
Not plain old chili, *dark* chili a.k.a Bob's chili :)

Here's a great sample shot by JS01 (too lazy to go get mine):

And since you're from Canada (so am I), you may be able to purchase these at Nordstrom, depending on what city you're in.
They're a Nordstrom exclusive, though the seconds are available at Shoebank.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be clear, the "piping" or binding has not been removed on these styles everyone is discussing. These styles feature a "profila" binding, rather than the classic rolled binding seen on the Timeless Classics. Look closely at the topline of any of the new styles. The binding is tucked below the edge of the upper. Completely removing the binding could compromise the integrity of a calfskin shoe. The difficulty that the profila binding raises, in my opinion, is that you are unable to hide any imperfections on the edge of the uppers.

I don't know the full dollars-and-cents of the binding cost, but I'm sure it's negligible. If AE really was interested in cost cutting, you would not see CF Stead suede on the Sea Island or Dainite soles on many of the shoes. Neither of these components are truly necessary, but the quality of them is indisputable.

Just my $0.02 (though, all together, I think we're approaching a dollar...)
I think I agree on the piping. I've purchased some old shell shoes on ebay and the piping seems to be cracked most of the time.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dropped in to the new AE store in Walnut Creek, CA yesterday. Nice place and the place was hopping with customers. Me? I bought a box of colored laces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads