1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

I haven't put a polish on these yet.

I really like the fit of the 3 last and the chestnut color is very different from what you can get from AE these days. I don't love the pattern used on the rear quarters, definitely not as elegant as what you'd see on the McAllister. For the price, I couldn't turn them down.

2. defenestrate

defenestrate New Member

They don't have that color :(

Come to think of it, I haven't see many of the navy leather strandmoks out in the wild. Here is a picture that another styleforum member (SUUTEEBIRD) posted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  3. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

I agree they aren't quite a McAllister but at that price its hard to complain. I paid $30 for mine but i'd have paid more for that chestnut color for sure.

4. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

I think the neumoks in navy are pretty popular on here. I've been wanting to get a pair but im still trying to hunt down some suede wingtips or strands (not the strankmok 2.0)

5. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Walnut Rutledge for a Wednesday.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. Vitals

Vitals Active Member

[​IMG]
    Another pair of Leiden Weave, today in walnut.

4 people like this.
  7. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I've heard that in some cases cornstarch can help. The idea is similar to using kitty litter on oil spills in garages or rice to dry out cell phones. You put some cornstarch on the spot an leave it there, next day brush it off (repeat as necessary). I suppose it couldn't hurt to try this first as it seems to be the least invasive, and its cheap.

If that fails, this was just posted on the shoe care thread. post #18496.

8. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Walnut Wednesday
    [​IMG]
    And I'm tapped out of #Indyweek - don't wear a black captoe enough to need the Hopkinson, but walnut Bartletts are definitely on my radar.

2 people like this.
  9. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

I honestly thought today was Tuesday, so I wore my merlot PA's.

10. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Well-Known Member

Stop it. You're making me want to have a pair of those for summer. Do they actually provide additional ventilation for your feet?

1 person likes this.
  11. St Hubbins

My Merlot Strands arrived yesterday. From a materials and workmanship perspective, I am extra pleased. They look stunning, and I cannot find a mistake. As for the fit, I'm still zeroing in on the correct 65 last size for me. I have 2nd quality 8.5D Bourbon Fifth Aves which seemed right when I bought them, but when I wear them a whole day I have some non-trivial pain in my right little toe. Plus the v-gap is pretty wide. These Strands are my Brannock size of 9D and seem about right. I get a bit of a "whoosh" noise in my right shoe as I step off. Sounds like air rushing back into a vacuum. Would this indicate some kind of fit problem? My general challenge with fit is I seem to have a wide-ish forefoot and a normal to narrow heel. Many shoes crunch/crowd my toes but when I try a wider width, I get some side-to-side heel movement which is very undesirable.

12. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

I have that noise on a pair of McAllisters that I haven't finished breaking in yet (damn you, dainite). I think the 9D is the better fit and you just need to break the sole in to eliminate the heel slip. You never, ever, want to ignore pain on the pinky toe as that means you are likely wearing a shoe that is too short.

13. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

Question.. Are the Gobi chukka and Mojave chukka made on the same last?

14. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

No. Gobis are on the B34 last, and Mojave (original and 2.0) are on the 809 last. I don't have either, but someone else might be able to compare/contrast the two.

15. pbrandes

pbrandes Well-Known Member

Indy Wednesday = Walnut Bartlett

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Vitals

Vitals Active Member

Maybe it's my imagination but I feel that the shoe breathes better.
    The lining blocks most wind, for instance I wore them motorcycling and could only feel a slight breeze on my feet.

1 person likes this.
  17. St Hubbins

[​IMG]
    Initial fitting of my 9D Merlot Strands. Feeling better than my 8.5D Fifth Avenues and also v-gap is improved. But best of all... that color!

18. solidgir

solidgir Member

Hey everybody,

I recently bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds. I purchased the merlot strands, but had to return them because of sizing issues. The exchanged pair fit perfectly, but I am bothered by a few imperfections. I have gathered that quality control is not AE's strong suit, but I would like to hear some opinions if I should exchange these again or keep them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are some noticeable lines between the medallion and toe cap, below the middle brouging, and alongside the eyelets. The paint markings on both tongues speak for themselves. I am curious if these are common in most AE shoes. I do not believe the first pair I had had these issues. Please help me decide. I do not want to go through the hassle of exchanging these again, but I do not feel like I have received my money's worth.

Thanks everyone!

19. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

If you want REAL ventilation, get your hands on a pair of Strawfuts. Ironically there was an all black pair floating around the Paramus Nordstrom Rack a few weeks a go.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

The paint markings won't be seen so no big deal to me. The lines are from the sewing foot of stitching machine. They're more common on shoes with thicker leather like the Dublin in my experience. I don't think I've noticed it on calf pairs. I'd have to see your pair in real life, but I don't think it would be noticeable from eye level. Considering the sale price I'd keep as it will likely blend in with creasing after wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.