• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable Over the Calf Socks

peaklapel1089

Reaction score
I'm wearing OTCs almost exclusively these days but I can't say I always find them to be comfortable by the middle of the workday. I've been wearing gold toe and other department store brands and wonder if a higher-end brand might be more comfortable. I'm talking about them feeling tight/constricted around the calf area. Do you guys have any thoughts?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by peaklapel1089
I'm wearing OTCs almost exclusively these days but I can't say I always find them to be comfortable by the middle of the workday. I've been wearing gold toe and other department store brands and wonder if a higher-end brand might be more comfortable. I'm talking about them feeling tight/constricted around the calf area. Do you guys have any thoughts?

The trick is to purposely slouch them a bit so that the area where the top band sits gets a break now and again.

Volsgradstudent

Reaction score
I used to wear gold toe mid-calf socks until I read some posts here about folks who wore OTC socks.

So I bought some gold toe OTC socks and love them. They stay up all day long, they're confortable, and being gold toe, they should hold up well.

Last week I bought some of the Robert Talbott OTCs that folks are selling in B&S. I wanted to add some color to my wardrobe. I wore gold toes on Monday, and the RTs Tuesday through today. I only bought 9 pairs of RTs. Now I'm gonna have to buy more.

This board is a very bad influence!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

KemalOnyurt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by peaklapel1089
little bit late answer but Viccel solved this problem with special knitting on calf section of leg in the picture you can see.
otc.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers cotton lisle can be had pretty cheaply at their
frequent sales. However, they tend to fall apart in about a
year. Years ago I would buy Marks and Spencer wool or
wool blend OTC socks . They are (were) virtually in-
destructable. I have some that are over twenty years old

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a bunch of Pantherella merino wool from STP with the daily deal they were well under the $10 mark. Currently $12.95, these are great socks.

Pantherella OTC

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for cotton vs. wool, I prefer cotton. I like to machine wash and line dry socks. Wools fuzz up that way, and thicker wools are more likely to bunch up in bad ways around the toes. And I've gone through some good wool socks. Maybe with hand-washing they hold up better. Others would know.
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Depends on what you mean by affordable. Do you mean good quality socks that will last a long time? Or simply the cheapest price possible?
+1 "Affordable" is a marketing distraction. Quality will always be your best value. The idea that you can get the best for cheapest is wrong most of the time. Don't be too timid and cowardly to pay enough for quality. $25 for socks will not bankrupt you. The trick is to buy quality so you don't need to buy them often. For thin dress socks, I vote Nagrani and Marcoliani, which I have not had enough experience with to recommend them with much conviction. These Sock it to Me OTC argyles have held up really well too. Gold Toe has been hit and miss for me. For thicker cotton crew socks, which I often wear in cold temperatures, my favorites are these "slouch socks" from Sock Dreams. The colors are somewhat limited for men, but navy, medium brown, and natural go a long way. And the olive is good with green cords. In the summer this kind of sock is too hot.

Chim12

Reaction score
Ordered a few pair of the Viccel socks from Turkey about a week ago, still haven't arrived. Has anyone had any experience with those yet, they certainly are priced right?

KemalOnyurt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chim12
Ordered a few pair of the Viccel socks from Turkey about a week ago, still haven't arrived. Has anyone had any experience with those yet, they certainly are priced right?
As you know Viccel socks are sent as a free shipping and it takes up to 3 weeks to USA, depends on local posting services. We have many happy clients who bought mid-calf, hope you will like them too.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I liked the quality, but too small for my US11.5 feet.
frown.gif

tractorcasual

Reaction score

I've just placed my second order with Viccel. I'm very happy with the product and the service. Delivery was just over one week to Europe. Quality is good - I understand that they have produced socks for well-known brands in the past, obviously retailing at far more than the direct price.

Viccel have a discount for AskAndy members, if you follow the link to the Viccel web shop from the AskAndy affiliates page or the Viccel forum thread there, they apply the discount automatically. Perhaps a similar discount could be set up for SF members?

sartorialexecutive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tractorcasual
Viccel have a discount for AskAndy members, if you follow the link to the Viccel web shop from the AskAndy affiliates page or the Viccel forum thread there, they apply the discount automatically. Perhaps a similar discount could be set up for SF members?

Looking at Kemal's signature, I would suggest one already has been set up
----
20% Discount for StyleForum Members
http://eshop.viccel.com----

Exalt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
gold toe

I always feel like my gold toe black socks lose their color and become gray, which annoys me. I need to find something better... I had purchased some Donna Karan socks from a NM Last call, which kept their color but fell apart after about 6 months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads